VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I am having issues with my Asus P2B assigning IRQ 9 to "SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus." I have it set in the bios that IRQ 9 is to be used by ISA. I have a Roland MPU-IPC-T installed. I can get the midi to work, but I get a splotch for "SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus," and I don't know if anything bad will happen. Is there a way to get around this issue? I read that ACPI is a Windows 98 and up thing, but I could be wrong. I'll go with WIndows 95 if I must, as this system is going to be for everything up to Windows 95/Voodoo 1.

Many thanks!
Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 1, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Screw it. It seems like every build I ever put together has a weird problem. Looking over my post history, it is literally every single build. It never happens when I build a current modern computer, ever since my first build which was an AMD K6-2 350 (and when I decided that other than buying used systems, I would never buy a new prebuilt desktop, ever again.) It is only when putting together a custom 486, Pentium, PII, etc. I even managed to get a Voodoo5, Voodoo2, and Voodoo1 working in the same P3 system along with a SB Live! and AWE32 but couldn't work out a LAN solution. It is like a weird curse that is trying to make me forget about retro computing or give up one aspect of each retro build.

I have an AWE32 with RAM and a Waveblaster in this system, and I am considering a modern solution like a Dreamblaster (I see that is one with licensed GS sounds) I suppose I don't *need* a Sound Canvas and/or MT-32 in Windows 9X. I never had midi back in the day and the Windows 9x stuff always sounded better than using the same cards in DOS. I am going to stop wrestling with this system and keep Windows 98 Lite on its own CF card, and just use the midi stuff in DOS and Windows 3.x where this ACPI crap won't even be a factor. It seems that this Asus P2B (with the last beta firmware ever made for it which I installed for 120GB support) has this SCI/ACPI thing hardcoded to IRQ 9. Nope, I will just use the AWE32 in Windows 98. I can still enjoy the other benefits of using DOS and Windows 3.x with this system, such as the 120GB D: drive which will let me install pretty much every game/app I want for all three OSes and have disc images on there for Alcohol 120 retro edition and SHUD-whatever it is called for DOS. I can play MP3s, too, being that this is a P2 350.

I am still interested in reading if anyone has solutions, but I'm not going to fret it. I have some games to play!