VOGONS

xp haswell build question

Topic actions

First post, by bl4zz3r73553

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so my finances have finally let me attempt a haswell/wXP-32 build.

i was going to use snappy driver for driver installs but im not sure of snappys compatibility with these boards, does anyone know? ( as these are the only boards available to me right now)
Asus Z87-A
asrock z97 pro4
ASRock Z87 Extreme6
Asus Z87-PRO
Gigabyte Z87-ud4h
GIGABYTE Z87X OC FORCE

i just dont want to purchase a board and snappy has little to no drivers for it

thanks

Reply 1 of 20, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No clue about snappy driver. I always look to see what drivers I can get from websites, ftp and here before buying any board.
IMHO all those non vintage boards should be easy to get the original drivers or find equals for.....
added: I do not think any of those are XP compatible. I just checked Asrock web for the Z87 Extreme6 and drivers, bios, etc are all easy access.
Did you even check the websites to see what OS they support?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 20, by brian105

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haswell isn't easily XP-compatible; check Ivy Bridge and earlier.

Presario 5284: K6-2+ 550 ACZ @ 600 2v, 256MB PC133, GeForce4 MX 440SE 64MB, MVP3, Maxtor SATA/150 PCI card, 16GB Sandisk U100 SATA SSD
2007 Desktop: Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2v-MX SE, Foxconn 7950GT 512mb, 4GB DDR2 800, Audigy 2 ZS, WinME/XP

Reply 3 of 20, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IIRC the high end Haswell chipsets dont support XP, the low end ones (H81) are more likely to have XP support even unofficially due to using some previous gen components and generally having less integration.

There are people who have had some success in running XP on H81 boards so you may want to try them first, YMMV as to what parts actually work under XP and what parts you may need to change to add in cards. (WiFi and Sound are two likely to need XP hardware)

Reply 4 of 20, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The "high end" boards do indeed seem to have less chance of working.
High end isnt high end at all, they are called that but they are not made to a higher standard than the regular boards they just have more features built into the board. The Chipset has more features built in etc.
When you get to Windows XP a benchmark might see a few extra points in its over all score but for your actual use there is nothing between an 81 or 87 for XP.

Snappy is compatible to an OS. It either works or it doesnt on that OS. If it can find the drivers for that boards devices is another matter.
There is no list on this site that can tell you if a certain motherboard or other device has XP drivers... I went through several boards and systems before I found one that actually works.

Reply 5 of 20, by bl4zz3r73553

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmm very interesting, so... for chances of better comaptability... i would assume then going to an 1155 socket board is going to be a better option?
it seems like a "higher end" board that could produce a faster speed for gaming would be resulted from an 1155 over a 2011..?
dumb questions but are there boards in 1155 that support water cooling? just curious

from my bit of searching little to no boards support xp on 2011.. unless snappy does it or i replicate some builds from youtube.. even still
it seems like a higher performance is yeilded from 1155?

Reply 6 of 20, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bl4zz3r73553 wrote on 2024-04-02, 01:42:
hmm very interesting, so... for chances of better comaptability... i would assume then going to an 1155 socket board is going to […]
Show full quote

hmm very interesting, so... for chances of better comaptability... i would assume then going to an 1155 socket board is going to be a better option?
it seems like a "higher end" board that could produce a faster speed for gaming would be resulted from an 1155 over a 2011..?
dumb questions but are there boards in 1155 that support water cooling? just curious

from my bit of searching little to no boards support xp on 2011.. unless snappy does it or i replicate some builds from youtube.. even still
it seems like a higher performance is yeilded from 1155?

I have XP running on a 3770K on a Rampage board so I can confirm that Sandbridge/Ivy Bridge works just fine with XP and its not that much slower than Haswell.

Reply 7 of 20, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have XP running on a i7-4790k and H97 motherboard. It works great. I'm my opinion, the 90-series boards are the last to offer nearly universal compatibility with XP.

I can't speak for Snappy, but the 70-series INF detects almost all of the devices on my board except the Intel USB 3.0 controller (a known issue) and the SM Bus. Neither causes operational issues. I use the USB 3.0 ports in 2.0 mode, so they actually work just fine in XP.

Reply 8 of 20, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fosterwj03 wrote on 2024-04-02, 02:33:

I have XP running on a i7-4790k and H97 motherboard. It works great. I'm my opinion, the 90-series boards are the last to offer nearly universal compatibility with XP.

I can't speak for Snappy, but the 70-series INF detects almost all of the devices on my board except the Intel USB 3.0 controller (a known issue) and the SM Bus. Neither causes operational issues. I use the USB 3.0 ports in 2.0 mode, so they actually work just fine in XP.

OP may be interested in that board, what one is it ?

Reply 10 of 20, by bl4zz3r73553

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dothan Burger wrote on 2024-04-02, 04:27:

I have an ASUS Maximus VI HERO that I had no issues running XP on with outstanding performance. Only one missing device driver that I think was the Intel management engine.

very interesting, my google searched came up with an asus maximus z77 formula, ill have to look in to the VI hero! apprecaite that info.

Reply 11 of 20, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use a Asrock H97 Fatal1ty Performance. I don't overclock, so it's perfect for me. I you like to overclock k-model chips, you'd be better off with a Z97 board.

I forgot to mention that the Intel network adapter doesn't have XP drivers either. I use a PCI network card in this case.

You might want to look for a board with a Realtek network adapter.

Reply 12 of 20, by bl4zz3r73553

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
fosterwj03 wrote on 2024-04-02, 13:23:

I use a Asrock H97 Fatal1ty Performance. I don't overclock, so it's perfect for me. I you like to overclock k-model chips, you'd be better off with a Z97 board.

I forgot to mention that the Intel network adapter doesn't have XP drivers either. I use a PCI network card in this case.

i think i found a decent board, its a p67 fatality, seems like its fully supported, and seems ok for overclocking if i decided to go that route but right now im sticking with stock speeds, seems like a better option over the 2011 socket.
glad i asked feel like i would have waste time and money going 2011 ( and previous posts were right so far only 20112 boards i can find that either have some or little xp drivers are h81 platforms...)

Reply 13 of 20, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fosterwj03 wrote on 2024-04-02, 13:23:

Yup OP will have to make some concessions when using newer Haswell boards, like using PCI cards to get functionality due to missing driver support.

Reply 15 of 20, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2024-04-03, 23:22:

Has anybody ever actually tried to set up XP on a Broadwell based system?

My H97 board can take Broadwell processors. I don't own one to test, but I doubt XP could tell the difference beyond the CPUID.

Reply 17 of 20, by Dothan Burger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2024-04-04, 11:33:

Do all H97 based boards support the Broadwell CPUs?

I had an i5 5675c running on a Z97 board and compared to a 4670k it really wasn't that impressive. I know you didn't ask that, but it would only be worth it IMHO if you had one already had one.

Reply 18 of 20, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Likely bios dependant, best bet is to check the CPU support page for the board you are interested in.

Reply 19 of 20, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dothan Burger wrote on 2024-04-04, 13:24:

I had an i5 5675c running on a Z97 board and compared to a 4670k it really wasn't that impressive. I know you didn't ask that, but it would only be worth it IMHO if you had one already had one.

Im more interested not because of its speed over the Haswell Refresh line but because it would be the latest CPU that is supported on the XP platform.
The performance could be equal as long as it works. I would like a Broadwell XP system thats all.