VOGONS

First post, by psaez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Which is the best and cheaper way to use a SSD or a SDCard as a hard disk on a pentium 3 motherboard?

Maybe does exist a cheap adapter that allows to plug an SSD or a SDCard to a IDE motherboard?

Reply 2 of 32, by psaez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bten wrote on 2024-04-01, 19:29:

I just use an IDE to Sata adapter, found it on Amazon for pretty cheap. If you are installing Windows 98 make sure the ssd you use is 128gb or less.

please can you show me that adapter? all the adapters I found are exactly the inverse, for connecting IDE drives to SATA motherboards

Reply 3 of 32, by bten

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
psaez wrote on 2024-04-01, 19:59:

I just use an IDE to Sata adapter, found it on Amazon for pretty cheap. If you are installing Windows 98 make sure the ssd you use is 128gb or less.

please can you show me that adapter? all the adapters I found are exactly the inverse, for connecting IDE drives to SATA motherboards

You are looking to convert a SATA drive to IDE correct?

here is the first result I found on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Kingwin-Adapter-Conver … e/dp/B002SZDOM6

Reply 4 of 32, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
psaez wrote on 2024-04-01, 19:59:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00310MFPY/ … 00?ie=UTF8&th=1

I use these myself, they are bidirectional so you can convert both IDE and Sata with one device. (I have a bunch of them because of how useful these things are .. none of that janky poorly made chinesium stuff for me again)

Yup they are a little expensive but Startech make good stuff that is reliable and doesn't fail as quickly as the chinesium stuff.

Reply 5 of 32, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also like these because of the tidy installation.

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 7 of 32, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DarthSun wrote on 2024-04-02, 01:58:

Chinese IDEtoSD converter.
ChIDE_SD.jpg

That actually looks pretty decent, like they actually took some care in fabbing it, Ive had some horror parts come out of China buying only based on the picture and price.

How much did this little part cost ?

Reply 9 of 32, by ubiq

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-04-02, 02:19:

ChIDE_SD.jpg

That actually looks pretty decent, like they actually took some care in fabbing it, Ive had some horror parts come out of China buying only based on the picture and price.

I have a few and they've been pretty foolproof. I use one in my Socket 7 mITX system. It even puts up with the extension cable I have hooked up to it.

IMG_6173.jpeg
Filename
IMG_6173.jpeg
File size
1.34 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 10 of 32, by DarthSun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ubiq wrote on 2024-04-02, 05:26:

ChIDE_SD.jpg

I have a few and they've been pretty foolproof. I use one in my Socket 7 mITX system. It even puts up with the extension cable I have hooked up to it.
IMG_6173.jpeg

Perfect, you can swap the card from the outside.

Reply 11 of 32, by ubiq

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DarthSun wrote on 2024-04-02, 05:32:

IMG_6173.jpeg

Perfect, you can swap the card from the outside.

Bingo! 😎

Yeah, the one annoying thing I find about the SD card solution is often not having easy access to the card. I think these extenders are intended for making the SD card for your car's satnav system easier to access. It does not make the card hot-swapable, as the machine still just sees it an IDE device and doesn't appreciate it suddenly disappearing. Not a biggie tho.

For the OP, if you already have a SSD I'd probably go with one of the SATA to IDE solutions already mentioned.

Reply 12 of 32, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ChIDE_SD.jpg

These are likely based on the Fc1307 chip.

They are limited to ATA33 and don't even saturate that.

Re: Here's an idea: using high endurance (micro)SD cards meant for continuous video recording as storage for retro gear

Additionally, these are buggy in some circumstances, depending on what is used to partition them.

Re: Using a vintage multi-track recorder as a mixer, namely the Roland VS-880EX - might apply to other Roland VS- units

Reply 13 of 32, by psaez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ChIDE_SD.jpg

IMG_6173.jpeg

Hi

Where can that thing be attached?

I see 4 holes for 4 screws, but don't know where is supossed to put those 4 screws on the pc case

Reply 15 of 32, by DarthSun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2024-04-02, 07:24:
These are likely based on the Fc1307 chip. […]
Show full quote

ChIDE_SD.jpg

These are likely based on the Fc1307 chip.

They are limited to ATA33 and don't even saturate that.

Re: Here's an idea: using high endurance (micro)SD cards meant for continuous video recording as storage for retro gear

Additionally, these are buggy in some circumstances, depending on what is used to partition them.

Re: Using a vintage multi-track recorder as a mixer, namely the Roland VS-880EX - might apply to other Roland VS- units

Hello,
I used it for the SS7 tests, with a variety of SD cards, depending on the card, but good for a retro machine. Sequential transmission is acceptable, but access is better than HDD. There are also a couple of 100/100 spare HDDs, but older models do not know how long they will work, so I bought 2 converters. Sandisk Endurance is definitely great, I use cheaper types of cards, and I like them. I didn't choose CF because it is already out of media, and more expensive than SD and many legs due to a mistake if it curves.

Reply 16 of 32, by DarthSun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
psaez wrote on 2024-04-02, 14:49:
Hi […]
Show full quote

ChIDE_SD.jpg

IMG_6173.jpeg

Hi

Where can that thing be attached?

I see 4 holes for 4 screws, but don't know where is supossed to put those 4 screws on the pc case

I haven't tried to fix it yet, used it at a trial station, but I think it can be solved. This is not like an HDD that requires much more stable fixing. Loosely enough, anywhere, by individual decision.

Reply 17 of 32, by DarthSun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
midicollector wrote on 2024-04-02, 16:27:

I like sd cards because it’s really easy to swap them out, but if you don’t plan on doing any swapping then an ssd is a fine choice.

For a stronger machine, I prefer SSD, for a retro operating system.

Reply 18 of 32, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2024-04-02, 01:48:

Have you had any trouble with the floppy power connector with them?

I have one of those and the power connector gets so incredibly stuck in it I once had to pull it off with pliers.

Reply 19 of 32, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sombrero wrote on 2024-04-03, 10:18:
Repo Man11 wrote on 2024-04-02, 01:48:

Have you had any trouble with the floppy power connector with them?

I have one of those and the power connector gets so incredibly stuck in it I once had to pull it off with pliers.

Honestly that's how you want them, cheap Molex has a track record of failing badly if they work themselves loose and the wire pins have enough wiggle room to do things they shouldn't. This isn't a huge issue with Molex connectors that meet the standard but chinesium ones or cheap ones can be hit or miss for nasty magic smoke failures.

So if its tight that you need something to remove it then that's just fine for Molex and far better than being easy to remove.