VOGONS

First post, by Trozzul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Howdy folks, finally made a account as I had mostly lurked here to help solve my vintage computer issues and checkout just cool stuff in general.

Onto the topic, I apologize if this is not allowed to talk about (some old forums I saw wouldn't allow this kind of discussion)

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-R505DC (there are many R505 models, mine doesn't show up much if at all) with a locked bios, when I received it it also didn't have a HDD so starts up with "no OS detected" I can't seem to find much information on how to get past this because I don't think I can install a operating system without getting past it. any suggestions would be gladly appreciated, attaching some images of the motherboard name along with what the bios looks like not sure if it would help identify which one it has.

On the same topic, if we can fix the bios issue, does anyone have any hard drive alternative suggestions? On Amazon I see a number of 44pin SATA or compact flash alternatives, how well does windows xp last on CF?

Attachments

Reply 3 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There should be a secondary battery for the CMOS, you need to remove it for a while to reset the cmos which removes the password. Usually the battery is an odd shaped, sometimes wrapped in rubber.
According to the general Maint manual for PCG-505* series it is left of the hdd cable in the front.....

Attachments

• Image3.jpg
    Filename
    Image3.jpg
    File size
    80.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 7, by Trozzul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2024-04-04, 02:24:

There should be a secondary battery for the CMOS, you need to remove it for a while to reset the cmos which removes the password. Usually the battery is an odd shaped, sometimes wrapped in rubber.
According to the general Maint manual for PCG-505* series it is left of the hdd cable in the front.....

Unfortunately I did already, I woulda assumed it's dead already but I'll wait and see if it does anything

Reply 5 of 7, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its too new for just storying password in CMOS, at this point laptops started using flash or even dedicated chips (like thinkpads TPM)
this one uses small I2C eeprom https://allservice.ro/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1 … 5ec4fdcb7567f1e

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction