Cyrix 6x86MX PR300 opinions?

Topic actions

First post, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys,

I was going through my stash of CPUs and re-discovered this nice almost black Cyrix 6x86MX PR300. I'm playing with the idea of installing this in a regular socket 7 board that I kept from the 90s. I'm not sure which version of the chip I have (66, 75 or 83MHz FSB one) but it should be faster than a Pentium 233 MMX, right?

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 1 of 20, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In my Quake 2 software-rendering benchmark the Pentium MMX 233 scores between a PR300/75FSB and a PR333/83FSB. I guess the PR300 will generally be satisfactory. ALU intensive apps/games will run faster on the Cyrix and FPU intensive apps/games run better on the Pentium MMX.

I haven’t specifically tested Unreal or Half-Life (they are FPU bound, too) but I’m guessing they won’t be far off from the Quake 2 benchmark. Quake DOS runs far better on the MMX. The PR300 is about as fast as a Pentium 150.

For the sake of not going mainstream I would choose the Cyrix. With overclocking you can probably get more performance with the Pentium MMX but since few people run the Cyrix it would be nice to take the Cyrix for a spin. Of course you can try running the Cyrix at 83FSB as well 😀.

Last edited by Thandor on 2024-04-03, 15:27. Edited 2 times in total.

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 2 of 20, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not so sure that a Cyrix MX is faster fpu intensive compared to a pentium 233 mmx, it's surely hotter and surely more powerful on integers.
I did a round up at 200mhz on every socket(super)7 cpu in past.

Reply 5 of 20, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nemo1985 wrote on 2024-04-03, 12:09:

First question you should ask (and verify): the motherboard supports the 2.9 voltage? According to the information available it doesn't.

I made a mistake, my board is PT-2006 and it does support 2.9V and even 2.5V. Multiplier jumpers only go up to 3x so probably no 3.5x support either for PR300 but it could work at 3x 66 ? I have a Pentium 200 non MMX currently installed.

EDIT: appears that 1.5x setting doubles as 3.5x so will have to check that out asap.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 6 of 20, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote on 2024-04-03, 14:46:

First question you should ask (and verify): the motherboard supports the 2.9 voltage? According to the information available it doesn't.

I made a mistake, my board is PT-2006 and it does support 2.9V and even 2.5V. Multiplier jumpers only go up to 3x so probably no 3.5x support either for PR300 but it could work at 3x 66 ? I have a Pentium 200 non MMX currently installed.

EDIT: appears that 1.5x setting doubles as 3.5x so will have to check that out asap.

Yes according to the manual it supports 3,5x66. That being said it's going to be a M2 233 vs Pentium mmx 233.
It maybe due to my shocking memory (when I decided to upgrade from a pentium 120 to a faster pr cyrix) and my computer became slow as hell, Sim copter was running at like 7 fps.
I'd stay with the Pentium mmx, but if you have both you can test them with the app\games you are interested to run and decide which one fits you more.
Those were my testing at 200 mhz (66x3)

photo_2024-04-03_17-05-47.jpg
Filename
photo_2024-04-03_17-05-47.jpg
File size
128.77 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 7 of 20, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not really looking for more power as such. I'm just curious about how a Cyrix would perform compared to my non-MMX Pentium 200. I never used a Cyrix socket 7 CPU back in the day so curiosity is the main driving force here and the novelty of it. Having a new toy to play with 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 8 of 20, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote on 2024-04-03, 15:40:

I'm not really looking for more power as such. I'm just curious about how a Cyrix would perform compared to my non-MMX Pentium 200. I never used a Cyrix socket 7 CPU back in the day so curiosity is the main driving force here and the novelty of it. Having a new toy to play with 😀

ahahah ok I can get what you mean, have fun!

Reply 9 of 20, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Cyrix MX will do better clock for clock,
The MII does a lot better than a classic pentium due to Cyrix making some architectural improvements including a better floating point.

Don’t get me wrong all Cyrix chips are slower clock for clock on floating point than any Pentium but once you get into higher clocked MX and especially MII, the far faster integer and cache overcomes the slower floating point .

Cyrix never really described what they did but the MII did run 3D games better than the earlier models, there is speculation that the floating point unit was so simple they ran it at higher speeds asynchronous to the cpu core.

Last edited by rmay635703 on 2024-04-03, 15:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 20, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rmay635703 wrote on 2024-04-03, 15:51:
The Cyrix MX will do better, The MII does a lot better than a classic pentium due to Cyrix making some architectural improvement […]
Show full quote

The Cyrix MX will do better,
The MII does a lot better than a classic pentium due to Cyrix making some architectural improvements including a better floating point.

Cyrix never really described what they did but the MII did run 3D games better than the earlier models, there is speculation that the floating point unit was so simple they ran it at higher speeds asynchronous to the cpu core

Source? Because my tests clearly show the opposite, I also tested several Cyrix SS7 cpus, as you can see the lower voltage are generally slower than the older counterparts, and i'm not the only one who noticed this weird thing:
Re: Cyrix appreciation thread

Edit: my tests: Re: Cyrix/ST/IBM Aiming for the stars!

Reply 11 of 20, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nemo1985 wrote on 2024-04-03, 15:55:
Source? Because my tests clearly show the opposite, I also tested several Cyrix SS7 cpus, as you can see the lower voltage are g […]
Show full quote
The Cyrix MX will do better, The MII does a lot better than a classic pentium due to Cyrix making some architectural improvement […]
Show full quote

Cyrix never really described what they did but the MII did run 3D games better than the earlier models, there is speculation that the floating point unit was so simple they ran it at higher speeds asynchronous to the cpu core

Source? Because my tests clearly show the opposite, I also tested several Cyrix SS7 cpus, as you can see the lower voltage are generally slower than the older counterparts, and i'm not the only one who noticed this weird thing:

If your comparing a 2.9v MII-pr300 to even a classic Pentium 200 it will be similar on quake, faster on gl quake and faster on everything integer related.
Except for the pr466 all the Cyrix machines I owned including the pr333 were 2.9v

Most folks wouldn’t sweat a 5fps difference in one game on a general purpose machine.

Reply 13 of 20, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rmay635703 wrote on 2024-04-03, 16:03:
If your comparing a 2.9v MII-pr300 to even a classic Pentium 200 it will be similar on quake, faster on gl quake and faster on e […]
Show full quote
Nemo1985 wrote on 2024-04-03, 15:55:
Source? Because my tests clearly show the opposite, I also tested several Cyrix SS7 cpus, as you can see the lower voltage are g […]
Show full quote

If your comparing a 2.9v MII-pr300 to even a classic Pentium 200 it will be similar on quake, faster on gl quake and faster on everything integer related.
Except for the pr466 all the Cyrix machines I owned including the pr333 were 2.9v

Most folks wouldn’t sweat a 5fps difference in one game on a general purpose machine.

According to my tests it became slower (clock to clock) from the gp333 and upward (doesn't matter the voltage), my guess is that they probably had to modify something internally to allow higher clock frequency.

Reply 15 of 20, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote on 2024-04-03, 16:19:

By the way, check out this old review https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/return-jedi,26.html

And this one for the MII 300: https://www.anandtech.com/show/170

"Solid business application performance"
"Horrible video playback scores"
"Are Quake 2 and Turok playable on the M-II 300? Sure, provided you are willing to spend an additional $220 on a Voodoo2 accelerator"
"For the price, the M-II 300 can't be beat as a processor for business applications. As a gaming platform, you're better off spending the additional $65 and getting a K6-2 as the M-II will put you through more frustration during gameplay than you can imagine."

Coincidentally, the price of the voodoo2 has almost returned to 1998 levels.

Reply 16 of 20, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote on 2024-04-03, 14:46:

https://www.pchardwarelinks.com/cpuspeed.htm

Yes, looks like the MII also remaps 1.5 -> 3.5x

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 18 of 20, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't mind the Cyrix MII/MX

I've got a range of benchmarks here:
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Super_So … et_7_Benchmarks

Also did a video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ueo8vfhFeM8

From testing in Quake 3 a PR333 is similar to a 233MMX

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 19 of 20, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I need to dig up my old drives that I was using in this particular computer. They were 8 and 6GB or something like that. All my data should still be on there.. from the time I went to high school. It will be an interesting time capsule moment 😀

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png