VOGONS

First post, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just purchased a DFI K6XV3+/66 (rev b2) and it seems to be working with an AGP video card, but my PCI video card doesn't work.

My BIOS POST card analyzer shows an error code 0x0D which is "Read CMOS location 14h to find out type of video in use or Detect and initialize video adapter". It also doesn't illuminate the 3.3V light in both the PCI and ISA slots.

Is this normal?

I've checked the 12/5/3.3 pins on the motherboard PSU header and I can't find any shorts.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Reply 3 of 3, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sofakng wrote on 2024-04-03, 18:32:

I've just purchased a DFI K6XV3+/66 (rev b2) and it seems to be working with an AGP video card, but my PCI video card doesn't work.

My BIOS POST card analyzer shows an error code 0x0D which is "Read CMOS location 14h to find out type of video in use or Detect and initialize video adapter". It also doesn't illuminate the 3.3V light in both the PCI and ISA slots.

Use an old PCI video card that doesn't require 3.3V. This is approximately anything before the GeForce / Radeon cards with Transform & Lighting acceleration. For example whole S3 Trio / Virge series, Matrox Millenium cards (up to the G450 PCI), Rendition Verité based cards and Cirrus 5446 cards are definitely working without 3.3V supply. Do not expect something like a Radeon 9000 PCI or Geforce FX5200 PCI (both are common) to work without 3.3V, most cards don't.

The people in the thread suspecting that the PCI slots don't have a 3.3V are most likely correct - that's a common issue on mainboards of that age. The 3.3V supply is indeed optional on PCI systems operating at 5V-compatible signalling (that's what the slot keying indicates) before PCI 2.2. PCI 2.2 made 3.3V mandatory even on "5V slots", but your board predates PCI 2.2.

In ISA slots, the most common POST analyzer cards use the 3.3V LED to indicate the presence of -5V. Missing -5V is usually not a problem, and common if you power the board by an ATX supply manufactured in this century. Especially, missing -5V on the ISA slot is not a reason you get issues with your PCI video card.