CPUSPD/P3-550 - 486DX2 66?

Topic actions

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I was wondering if someone who uses CPUSPD recommend settings to make a Pentium III 550 behave like a 486DX2-66?

Many thanks!
Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 40, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Before you use any programs, turning off L1 and L2 cache should slow that CPU down considerably (Assuming your board can do this via BIOS), IIRC Setmul may be able to do this on a P3, it should also be able to change the multiplier and slow it even further.

Not sure if you can get it down to DX2-66 speeds.

One more thing is this a Slot 1 P3 or 370 P3 ?

Also what board are you using as some P3 boards may cause issues when trying to change Multi/FSB via software.

Reply 2 of 40, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-04-04, 23:56:
Before you use any programs, turning off L1 and L2 cache should slow that CPU down considerably (Assuming your board can do this […]
Show full quote

Before you use any programs, turning off L1 and L2 cache should slow that CPU down considerably (Assuming your board can do this via BIOS), IIRC Setmul may be able to do this on a P3, it should also be able to change the multiplier and slow it even further.

Not sure if you can get it down to DX2-66 speeds.

One more thing is this a Slot 1 P3 or 370 P3 ?

Also what board are you using as some P3 boards may cause issues when trying to change Multi/FSB via software.

Thank you for your reply! My CPU is a Slot 1, and my mobo is an Asus P2B (just plain P2B) with the last beta firmware they released for it (so I can use 120/128GB drives.)

Reply 3 of 40, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried using Moslo Deluxe with the /p4 switch to emulate a 486, but it makes the animations in Quest for Glory 4 painfully choppy. Using it normally with any /x.xx and setting the in-game speed to full has so far shown no speed reduction (the hero zips across the screen in an almost teleportation-style.) I was hoping to use this machine with slow down options to pay everything up to 1999, but I don't know...

Reply 4 of 40, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-04-05, 00:29:

I tried using Moslo Deluxe with the /p4 switch to emulate a 486, but it makes the animations in Quest for Glory 4 painfully choppy. Using it normally with any /x.xx and setting the in-game speed to full has so far shown no speed reduction (the hero zips across the screen in an almost teleportation-style.) I was hoping to use this machine with slow down options to pay everything up to 1999, but I don't know...

P2B should work ok with SetMul so give that a try.

Reply 5 of 40, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-04-05, 00:52:

Thank you, will do!

Reply 6 of 40, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-04-05, 00:52:
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-04-05, 00:52:

Thank you, will do!

You wont get a P3 550 down to DX2-66 speeds, even with SetMul and no Cache it'll still be as fast as an early Pentium 1 or late AMD 5x86-133. You may be able to use Throttle or Moslow at that point to tweak it further for each game. (A PII 233 might be able to get down to 486 speeds, dont know if you have one laying around spare)

The best CPU for 486 speeds would be a Pentium 233 on socket 7 but you might be ok with early Pentium speeds for most games.

Reply 7 of 40, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You won't be able to change the multiplier because P3 CPUs are multiplier locked... As you have discovered, 'artificial' slowdown methods are not always desirable... I second what @Trashbytes suggests - socket7 + PMMX is your easiest choice... There are many things that can be disabled on the CPU to slow it down without doing weird things.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 8 of 40, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mockingbird wrote on 2024-04-05, 01:36:

You won't be able to change the multiplier because P3 CPUs are multiplier locked... As you have discovered, 'artificial' slowdown methods are not always desirable... I second what @Trashbytes suggests - socket7 + PMMX is your easiest choice... There are many things that can be disabled on the CPU to slow it down without doing weird things.

I forgot that the PII and PII are locked even in software ..my bad, though IIRC there are PII cpus that are not locked or only locked from increasing the Multi .. perhaps one of thoes would work here.

Reply 9 of 40, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-04-05, 01:46:

I forgot that the PII and PII are locked even in software ..my bad, though IIRC there are PII cpus that are not locked or only locked from increasing the Multi .. perhaps one of thoes would work here.

Even a PII Klamath running at 66 x 3 is 200mhz, and 150mhz if you can lower the FSB to 50mhz (not universally possible on all motherboards), that's still not slow enough... Pentium MMX is your best bet. See Phil's video on the topic. Here is what you can do with it without any artificial slowing down that interferes with games:

pmmx.png
Filename
pmmx.png
File size
558.56 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 10 of 40, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My pentium 3 1000 without cache is about a 386 DX33mhz

Using throttle i can range from a real and solid XT 4.77 to a Pentium 200mmz level , i can cover all ranges, the motherboard have via

I have a 366mhz mendocino slot 1 and is similar, but a little less accurate because have intel chipset

Reply 12 of 40, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-04-05, 07:34:

My only other slot CPU is a PII 350. I did consider acquiring a P1 233 & mobo if I can find one.

For slowdown Pentium 2+ morherboard with via chipset is the best, nothing beats this in all my test

throttle is amazing because is a hardware solution

Reply 14 of 40, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the amount is inconsequential to you, you can always try it, but with slot CPUs I would advise against a lot of swapping back and forth, as the slots tend to wear quickly.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 15 of 40, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-04-05, 23:13:

If the amount is inconsequential to you, you can always try it, but with slot CPUs I would advise against a lot of swapping back and forth, as the slots tend to wear quickly.

I have two of the same slot 1 mobo, with the main one a dedicated Windows 98 machine with a P3 700 and a Voodoo5. Since learning that I may not slow things in the way I hoped, I was hoping to turn this one into a DOS/Win 3.x/Win95 voodoo 1/2 machine. If I can throw an unlocked P2 in it and use it to run everything from Win95 and below, I would keep that CPU in there.

Reply 17 of 40, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try a VIA USB card 🤣

People are frequently complaining about them knocking 20 or 30% out of their top end, I don't see why they shouldn't be useful in certain situations.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 18 of 40, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-04-06, 01:59:

Try a VIA USB card 🤣

People are frequently complaining about them knocking 20 or 30% out of their top end, I don't see why they shouldn't be useful in certain situations.

I think I have one lying around, somewhere. No available slots, though. I recreated a PC from a thread I made awhile back, so this PC has Voodoo1, 2, and 3, a SB Live!, an AWE32, and a NIC. Other than for certain DOS games, the set works surprisingly well. However, when using my Windows 98SE CF card, I do have a splotch on "SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus" since it seems to be hard-set to IRQ 9, which conflicts with my MPU-IPC-T. Nothing bad has happened, though (yet.)

Reply 19 of 40, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-04-06, 01:49:

So far, setmul, throttle, and moslo deluxe are failing to get Wing Commander to a playable state on this PC. I have tried various settings.

Oh wow you managed to pick the one game that is a bitch to get running correctly on anything newer than a real 386, if its Wing Commander 1 you can try DOS box as this game is well known for being super speed sensitive, IIRC Phil from Phils computer lab has managed to get it running correctly via his 136 in 1 Pentium MMX retro machine.

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/136-in-1-pentium-mmx.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcBmEjXg2ME about 11:15 in this video he is playing WC1 on this setup.