Reply 40 of 40, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-04-13, 02:25:
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-04-13, 02:16:
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-04-13, 01:58:

L2 can usually be disabled via the BIOS itself on socket 7 boards, there are also other options like memory timings and bus speeds you may be able to play with to tweak things even further for the odd games that just have to have perfect hardware or to fix speed sensitive sound cards and such.

The main point of doing most of it via the bios would be to remove the need for software fixes which may just get in the way or not work with some software.

I tried disabling the system cache (it is the only cache option in the bios - this bios has some of the fewest options I have ever seen, my Tomato 4dps has more options, hehehe.) Disabling system cache in the bios made WC run way too slow with this particular board. Removing the secondary cache from the board plus setmul worked, but I didn't want to deal with swapping the cache all of the time. I'll switch systems after testing and playing around with the P2 233 and the K6-2 systems when I can get them set up. It seems I will have better luck with a newer system using setmul and what not.

wow .. what board is it .. never seen a socket 7 not have that option, perhaps there is a newer BIOS for it on retroweb or a modded bios around ?

It is an intel socket 7 board w/ a pentium 166 mmx. I don't have the SS7 yet. I am waiting for it to be shipped. I am using the S7 p1 166 in the interim. Once the SS7 gets here (and the P2 233 CPU) I am going to play around with them and then switch from the S7 intel. However, I am glad to have this intel S7 for nostalgia purposes. It pairs well with a voodoo card. I had the choice between a VIA or an Ali SS7 and I didn't know which one, so I picked the VIA SS7 due to prior VIA experience with Socket A systems. I was initially trying to reduce my amount of parts/PCs, but now I think I will collect a few spares.