VOGONS

First post, by psaez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In manual it tells that haves PIO mode for ATA... that confuses me. Does that mean that it doesn't support DMA?

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/qdi-p6 … 10t-advance-10t

the manual: https://theretroweb.com/motherboard/manual/a1 … 40356763886.pdf

You can check it on page 8 of the PDF. Doesn't let me to copy the text, don't know why.

Reply 1 of 7, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That board has a VT82C686B south bridge yes? And you are using the IDE ports built into the motherboard, yes? And when you say, "DMA", you asking about "UDMA" modes, yes?

In Windows >= 98 , you should be able to go up to UDMA-5 if you have the Via 4-1 drivers installed, you have an 80 conductor IDE cable, and your storage device is amicable to doing UDMA protocols. Win98 might require that you manually enable it in device manager after installing the drivers.

In DOS and or Win <98, you are likely limited to PIO without loading a special DMA driver. What driver will work? Does such a driver even exist? These things are unclear to me.

Now if you feel like you have to do "Vintage 1993 Multi-Word DMA" on the Apollo pro chipset, reconsider your life choices and aim for UDMA. It's much faster and much more widely supported by storage devices.

Reply 2 of 7, by psaez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
douglar wrote on 2024-04-05, 19:23:
That board has a VT82C686B south bridge yes? And you are using the IDE ports built into the motherboard, yes? And when you sa […]
Show full quote

That board has a VT82C686B south bridge yes? And you are using the IDE ports built into the motherboard, yes? And when you say, "DMA", you asking about "UDMA" modes, yes?

In Windows >= 98 , you should be able to go up to UDMA-5 if you have the Via 4-1 drivers installed, you have an 80 conductor IDE cable, and your storage device is amicable to doing UDMA protocols. Win98 might require that you manually enable it in device manager after installing the drivers.

In DOS and or Win <98, you are likely limited to PIO without loading a special DMA driver. What driver will work? Does such a driver even exist? These things are unclear to me.

Now if you feel like you have to do "Vintage 1993 Multi-Word DMA" on the Apollo pro chipset, reconsider your life choices and aim for UDMA. It's much faster and much more widely supported by storage devices.

Hi

Let me explain myself. I'm searching for a tualatin motherboard, and I found a seller that offers me that one. But on the manual I can see that "PIO" things and anything about DMA, UDMA etc... so I'm trying to understand if this is a bad motherboard (restricted to PIO) and other motherboards for tualatin will have better ATA modes. If so, I'll search for another.

So, if I understand you correctly, every motherboard with Apolo Pro 133T will have compatibility with UDMA, DMA, PIO etc... and this one too?

Reply 3 of 7, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
psaez wrote on 2024-04-05, 20:11:

So, if I understand you correctly, every motherboard with Apolo Pro 133T will have compatibility with UDMA, DMA, PIO etc... and this one too?

The IDE controller is in the VT82C686B chip. That controller is capable of doing PIO (up to 4) and UDMA (up to level 5).

By default, your controller is going to do PIO.

If you want to do UDMA, you will need:
1) storage device that is willing to do UDMA
2) a driver that enabled the UDMA modes. For Windows 98 and Windows XP, the driver will be called the Via 4-1 driver. https://www.philscomputerlab.com/via-chipset-drivers.html
3) and if you want to go faster than UDMA 2, you need an 80 conductor IDE cable

"DMA" is something older and slower, it's a lot harder to do, and it isn't likely worth your time.

Reply 4 of 7, by psaez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
douglar wrote on 2024-04-05, 21:56:
The IDE controller is in the VT82C686B chip. That controller is capable of doing PIO (up to 4) and UDMA (up to level 5). […]
Show full quote
psaez wrote on 2024-04-05, 20:11:

The IDE controller is in the VT82C686B chip. That controller is capable of doing PIO (up to 4) and UDMA (up to level 5).

By default, your controller is going to do PIO.

If you want to do UDMA, you will need:
1) storage device that is willing to do UDMA
2) a driver that enabled the UDMA modes. For Windows 98 and Windows XP, the driver will be called the Via 4-1 driver. https://www.philscomputerlab.com/via-chipset-drivers.html
3) and if you want to go faster than UDMA 2, you need an 80 conductor IDE cable

"DMA" is something older and slower, it's a lot harder to do, and it isn't likely worth your time.

I understand, thank you, and every motherboard for tualatin have exactly the same needs to use UDMA and the same IDE capabilities? at least, each one with the same Apolo Pro 133T chipset?

Reply 5 of 7, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
psaez wrote on 2024-04-05, 22:14:

I understand, thank you, and every motherboard for tualatin have exactly the same needs to use UDMA and the same IDE capabilities? at least, each one with the same Apolo Pro 133T chipset?

Yes, I would expect motherboards built with the same chipset to have very similar functionality.