VOGONS

First post, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm using a ridiculously large (250 GB) SSD with a StarTech SATA-to-IDE adapter on a super socket 7 motherboard (DFI K6XV3+/66, rev b2).

The BIOS IDE HDD AUTO DETECTION gives the following suggestions:

IMG_0741.jpeg
Filename
IMG_0741.jpeg
File size
40.87 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Which is the correct option to use?

I've watched a video from Phil's Computer Lab where he limits the size of the drive using calculated C/H/S numbers but I'm not sure if this is the correct approach either?

I haven't decided whether I'm going to use DOS 6.22 or Windows 98. (maybe dual boot? I know WIN98 has DOS 7 so that's also something to consider)

Reply 1 of 10, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Use the default suggestion of LBA if you expect to read the drive in another machine. The BIOS is likely limited to the 28bit LBA limit of 128GB.

Last edited by NJRoadfan on 2024-04-06, 21:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 10, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the reply! I think it's 28 bit LBA because that's limited to 137 GB, right? 48 bit LBA supports up to 144 PB.

I'm not concerned about the loss of disk space (ie. not using the full 250GB HDD) but I just want to make sure there is no data corruption or other problems.

Reply 3 of 10, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Typo on my part. Yes, 28bit. I'm actually surprised BIOS gives the other options on any drive above 8.4GB. The old CHS system and BIOS translation was no longer relevant on larger drives.

Reply 7 of 10, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This drive overlay will give you LBA 48 BIOS support:

http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=2056

But getting windows 98 to work with LBA48 on your boot drive it is a separate challenge and probably not worth the effort.

Reply 9 of 10, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In this context (you're only configuring the implementation of CHS Int13 access) LBA is indeed the least worst 😀 - all 8 GB (unlike Normal) with the most standardized formula (unlike Large)

In fact, the geometries listed for Normal and Large exceed the maximum supported by Int13 CHS commands, and I suspect this is why a PC I have with a 32GB CF doesn't like Microsoft OSes…

To get LBA-compatible software to use Int13X LBA access (and therefore the full capacity without additional drivers, "additional" being relative to the BIOS disk implementation), a completely separate setting must be enabled, which is often missing - meaning it's either always enabled or not implemented at all 😀 🙁

Reply 10 of 10, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the explanation even if I don't quite understand all of it 😀

When I was looking for modern SSD drives, the Crucial MX500 was the cheapest decent drive but the smallest capacity was 250 GB. I'm not worried about using all the space though. I think that 64 GB would have been plenty but they don't make those any more, haha.

However, since I can use at least 128 GB I'm going to look into multi-booting (just for the heck of it) between DOS, Win98, etc. (I've heard that System Commander 8 Multi-Boot is a good choice?)