VOGONS

First post, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I purchased a DFI K6XV3+/66 motherboard and it came with an I/O shield but it doesn't work with my case:

IMG_0780.jpeg
Filename
IMG_0780.jpeg
File size
43.31 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

The I/O shield is also strange because it has an L-shaped bend which I haven't seen before:

IMG_0782.jpeg
Filename
IMG_0782.jpeg
File size
43.39 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Also, the case I'm using has an opening for the I/O shield that appears to use 3-screws?

IMG_0778.jpeg
Filename
IMG_0778.jpeg
File size
51.69 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Does anybody know if an I/O shield exists to fit this motherboard/case? Am I doing something wrong with the included one? (I know the I/O shield goes inside the case and pushes through to the back but for the pictures I've shown it outside)

Reply 1 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That I/O shield is a proprietary one from some manufacturer. The hole pattern is typical for early ATX, it was the standard for about five minutes. The back of that case has screw holes for an I/O plate; cases from that era typically came with an I/O plate with that pattern held in place with screws, and at that time most motherboards worked so you didn't have to bother to change it. Here's an Ebay listing for one that should work: https://www.ebay.com/itm/186385791379?itmmeta … VgAAOSw8HxmFp0q

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 6, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Repo Man11 is probably right. For a short period non-disposable I/O shields were coming with the case and used their own way of mounting. Maybe that's what you've got here, minus the matching case.

Reply 4 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is an example of the stock I/O plate that many cases came with. Since most motherboards the time fit this, it was left in place and the I/O plate that came with the motherboard was left in the box (and eventually thrown away). Then the computer was upgraded and the motherboard was pulled and now had no I/O plate.

The other image is an OEM plate that did fit in a standard case - if you look closely you can see that it had to be put in place from the outside of the case rather than inserted from the inside like a standard I/O plate.

Attachments

Reply 5 of 6, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting and thanks again! I'm using something like the bottom picture (ie. motherboard doesn't have gameport or built-in sound) but it's working.

Maybe someday I'll find a panel like the first one you listed (but with gameport/sound blocked).

Thanks again! 😀

Reply 6 of 6, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Synchronicity: on my local Craigslist there is a P2 system for sale in a desktop case that appears to have a nearly identical I/O plate to what you have. You can see how the two tabs are to fit in slots in the case.

Attachments