VOGONS

First post, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is the one in question. It obviously has a Samsung KS0164+KS0174-1M wavetable, but damn me if I could find a way to activate it. Not even my google-fu skills are a match for this Korean ninja...
Samsung Audio Magic X aka SAB-3000A. Conforming to usual Samsung quality, is one of the quietest ISA soundcards I own.

SAB-3000A.jpg
Filename
SAB-3000A.jpg
File size
565.14 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 1 of 13, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Y1 seems to be at an odd angle.

edit: just editing for some attention. If the crystal is broken, it's likely the chip underneath won't work due to no clock, etc.

Last edited by weedeewee on 2024-04-12, 10:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 13, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you not just point a dos game expecting GM via port 330 to it?

Unisound can initialise ess1868 cards by setting the Blaster variable:

Set blaster=a220 i7 D1 T4 p330
Unisound /cX

Where X is the id of the pnp ISA card in your system
The card should be totally software configurable, so adjust the blaster line to whatever resources suitable your system and are free.

Since it doesn't have a waveblaster header I would be willing to bet the synth is connected straight to it.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 3 of 13, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2024-04-11, 18:34:

Y1 seems to be at an odd angle.

Is not my card, just a generic picture I found on the net. C5 is also missing, which is not the case with my card, is in much better shape, no odd angled xtals, no missing capacitors, no scratches, and NO GM, no matter if I set MIDI port to 300 or 330, no matter if I enabled Aux2 out; both in DOS and Win98SE, if I select MPU-401 I hear the sound of silence.

Last edited by fillosaurus on 2024-04-11, 20:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.

Reply 4 of 13, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
megatron-uk wrote on 2024-04-11, 19:32:
Can you not just point a dos game expecting GM via port 330 to it? […]
Show full quote

Unisound /cX

The card should be totally software configurable, so adjust the blaster line to whatever resources suitable your system and are free.

Since it doesn't have a waveblaster header I would be willing to bet the synth is connected straight to it.

Tried Unisound, it does not work. It just gives me the message Unknown PnP card [SEM3006] found.

Reply 5 of 13, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fillosaurus wrote on 2024-04-11, 20:02:
Show full quote

Unisound /cX

Tried Unisound, it does not work. It just gives me the message Unknown PnP card [SEM3006] found.

How many ISA cards do you have installed?

Reply 6 of 13, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
megatron-uk wrote on 2024-04-11, 21:51:
fillosaurus wrote on 2024-04-11, 20:02:
Show full quote

Unisound /cX

How many ISA cards do you have installed?

Just that one. More than 20 years ago I managed the art of juggling addresses and irqs with 2 souncards and a SCSI controller.

Reply 7 of 13, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bizarre that it doesn't respond to the init and seemingly has an odd identifier.

I thought the 1868 was pretty much a single chip solution, with that one chip basically connected directly to the ISA bus... I have a couple of these, at least one of mine has nothing on the card except the 1868 chip and a few passive components. The other has some amplifier circuitry for a speaker out jack, but that's it. It's a pretty bare bones design.

(I use the one without the amp since I only need line out anyway)

Reply 8 of 13, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, just for a crazy test... Have you checked if there is anything via the cd channel? My 1868 appears to route the waveblaster header audio to the cd channel, rather than aux.

Reply 9 of 13, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i have a couple cards with the samsung wavetable chip. it's always connected directly to port 330. i'm thinking something is muted in the mixer. is the wavetable detected under windows as a roland mpu-401 device?

Reply 10 of 13, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This YT video shows a user's system startup commands for the card. Those commands are just the usual kind of initialisation commands, so I don't know whether any help is gained, but at least we see a working example of the same card - doing GM - and some parameters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL0cnLBNIns

eg.png
Filename
eg.png
File size
55.79 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 13, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Babasha wrote on 2024-04-12, 09:22:

/M:0 - MIDI 0 (zero)?

M is microphone input. That esscfg line also says to me that wavetable audio is going via the cd channel in the mixer (/c:8). Just like my basic card.

What is the OP initializing the card with and what are the mixer settings?

Reply 13 of 13, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stanwebber wrote on 2024-04-12, 05:50:

i have a couple cards with the samsung wavetable chip. it's always connected directly to port 330. i'm thinking something is muted in the mixer. is the wavetable detected under windows as a roland mpu-401 device?

Yes, but even in Windows is silent.