Fair use/fair dealing exception

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 3 of 7, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Exactly how I remember it, p60 and dx4 were trading blows back and forth.

It wasn’t until games like quake and certain audio/video codecs became commonplace that slow pentiums would consistently outperform faster 486 class.

Reply 4 of 7, by Zeerex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I couldn’t get an MP3 to play at 128k, 44khz, stereo on a 486 100mhz. I remember having to play them at 22khz mono.

I never had a P60 but I’ve heard they were capable of playing them ok Re: Lowest CPU to play MP3s

Reply 5 of 7, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The good old Cirrus 5434, likely the fastest late DOS Vesa chip around, I would love a 2Mb Diamond Speedstar64 ISA but just looking at the prices ..yeah I think not.

I do wonder just how much difference there is between the three versions of that chip, there is VLB, ISA and PCi versions, I think the PCI and VLB versions should be pretty evenly matched with the ISA being a little slower but faster than any other ISA videocard.

Reply 6 of 7, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-04-13, 00:47:

The good old Cirrus 5434, likely the fastest late DOS Vesa chip around, I would love a 2Mb Diamond Speedstar64 ISA but just looking at the prices ..yeah I think not.

I do wonder just how much difference there is between the three versions of that chip, there is VLB, ISA and PCi versions, I think the PCI and VLB versions should be pretty evenly matched with the ISA being a little slower but faster than any other ISA videocard.

The cirrus is integrated here. I was really surprised in the result, i expected constantly better vision864. The cirrus bus is still way slower, if the bench is vga limited at low resolution, you can see the result, but at vesa it is better. But be honest, it is 1.2 vesa (it was typical at the hw period) - with vesa lfb the s3 become constantly faster, and i could not measure any difference at the 5434.

For dos both are great, the image quality and the compatibility is more important.

Reply 7 of 7, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zeerex wrote on 2024-04-13, 00:14:

I couldn’t get an MP3 to play at 128k, 44khz, stereo on a 486 100mhz. I remember having to play them at 22khz mono.

I never had a P60 but I’ve heard they were capable of playing them ok Re: Lowest CPU to play MP3s

It worked on dx4 even in the past, i had dx4 in 1996, when the mp3 became popular. I remember to the dos player, it has a workload indicator, the dx4 was around 80%, when it played a typical 128k 44khz mp3.