VOGONS

First post, by rayrayrayraydog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have come across a pretty janky but functional Toshiba Tecra 510CDT, even with a working 8GB hard drive. The CMOS battery is obviously dead and I know it's prone to leaking, so I'm trying to find info on how to disassemble to laptop enough to remove it. I am not finding any good resources out there -- anyone have a link to a guide?

I have attempted it but can't seem to pop any of the bottom case off after removing all the removable components and visible screws. Thanks!

Reply 1 of 4, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bookmark this page 😀 https://minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/Toshiba/Toshiba.htm

You can get the Maintenance Manual for the Tecra 500CDT on that page which is very very similar to the 510CDT, just one mechanical difference that I'm aware of with that eject button on the side.

I wish you luck with it, the Tecra 500 / 510CDT is a rather complex system with multiple sub boards and an internal PSU.

Reply 2 of 4, by rayrayrayraydog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2024-04-13, 02:22:

Awesome resource! Thank you!

I don't normally have issues tearing down a laptop, but the plastic on this thing is so brittle I'm afraid to try anything without guidance. 😀

Reply 3 of 4, by rayrayrayraydog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found the picture I was looking for in one of the PDFs on that site -- awesome! The top cover was already cracked but I was able to pop it with a plastic spudger without making things that much worse. The batteries are gone and hadn't leaked yet!

ObB5wmj.jpeg

Reply 4 of 4, by rayrayrayraydog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I noticed that when running on battery the horribly loud CPU fan suddenly slows down and the laptop is ALMOST quiet. When plugged in it's always in a high performance mode. Does anyone know how to force the quiet low performance mode when plugged in?

(Yes, believe it or not, the main battery holds a charge for about 15 minutes.)