VOGONS

First post, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Manufacturers sometimes re-use existing designs to save costs, but in the case of the original Sound Canvas it seems Roland really went the extra mile in the '90s - I have counted 8 different products that apparently used the SC-55 casing (not counting the different color variations). I may have forgotten some, so please post them if you find any. Also, please post if you have blatant examples from other companies...

Roland SC-55
roland-sc-55-sound-canevas.jpg

Roland SB-55
$_12.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Roland SC-55K
e6515a1684278b1926a4aeb426b58a2a_0.jpg

Roland P-55
image.php?lang=fr&identifier=id&size=normal&module=product&product_id=5575

Roland TD-5
roland-td-5-module-1100177.jpg

Roland SC-55mkII
SC-55MKII.jpg

Roland SC-55ST (exists also in white)
usednet_corporation-org-1432786636650497&dc=1&sr.fs=20000

Roland SC-88VL (exists also in white)
spd_20071128151145_b.jpg

Roland UA-100
image.php?lang=fr&identifier=id&size=normal&module=product&product_id=122619

Last edited by MMaximus on 2015-08-01, 06:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 1 of 5, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MMaximus wrote:

Also, please post if you have blatant examples from other companies...

So you want literally every single soundcard released from Creative then? 😉 *I'm rather snarky today*

Reply 2 of 5, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On the topic of that Sound Canvas design, the front panel quality is very poor.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 3 of 5, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is actually not that uncommon since certain designs can be reused for future products until they've reached a point where they are no longer viable (or out of date).
In some cases, a lot of research and development costs goes into designing something from scratch and it would therefore only be logical to try and recoup those costs for as long as possible.

It is actually applied in different industries where some manufacturers (think of your car manufacturing industry) sometimes use exactly the same parts on different models (can be something very trivial, like side mirrors).

Reply 4 of 5, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZanQuance wrote:

So you want literally every single soundcard released from Creative then? 😉 *I'm rather snarky today*

It's true that Creative launched so many different iterations of their SoundBlaster card over the years that it's hard to keep track! I was rather speaking about visible re-using of elements like casing, buttons etc. - once the soundcard is in the case, you're not supposed to see it so I guess it makes it easier for companies to re-use existing designs without their customers noticing so much 😀

Stojke wrote:

On the topic of that Sound Canvas design, the front panel quality is very poor.

I definitely agree... the buttons don't feel particularly sturdy and are not really satisfying to operate. On this topic, the SK-88Pro keyboard is another product which featured the same buttons:

SK-88Pro_1-big.jpg

jesolo wrote:

This is actually not that uncommon since certain designs can be reused for future products until they've reached a point where they are no longer viable (or out of date).
In some cases, a lot of research and development costs goes into designing something from scratch and it would therefore only be logical to try and recoup those costs for as long as possible.

It is actually applied in different industries where some manufacturers (think of your car manufacturing industry) sometimes use exactly the same parts on different models (can be something very trivial, like side mirrors).

Very valid point! Just to clarify, I am not saying this is necessarily a bad thing - just that some manufacturers may do this more than others, and in the case of Roland in the '90s it seemed particularly obvious.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 5 of 5, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is the Roland UA-100 reliable for games?

- Macintosh LC475, Powerbook 540c, Macintosh Performa 6116CD, Power Macintosh G3 Minitower (x2), Imac G3, Powermac G4 MDD, Powermac G5, Imac Mid 2007
- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF
- Roland MT32, CM64, CM500, SC55, SC88, Yamaha MU50