VOGONS

First post, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, my main laptop is from around 2012 and while it is nearly 10 years old, I honestly find it still mostly pretty usable for doing web browsing and various other light tasks. The problem is that I installed a Crucial MX500 1TB SSD in it (transferred the data to it from the original mechanical drive) and while loading times in general were incredibly reduced, I started noticing something I swear I never did before: occasional clicks/pops/drop-outs in the audio when playing YouTube videos, music in MPC-HC, etc. and also other effects like some emulators stuttering pretty badly at random.

I checked a program called LatencyMon and the latency constantly gets to some ridiculously high spikes, like nearly maxing out the meter. I don't know how installing an SSD would cause this or if its just a coincidence, but I don't recall any of this before doing so. The driver causing the highest DPC latency is ndis.sys, relating to my network drivers, so I tried older and newer drivers to no avail, and even if I disable the network/WiFi drivers entirely, LatencyMon still shows crazy latency with no driver really associating with it.

I am about ready to pull my hair out, I really don't want to reinstall Windows because this machine has so much stuff on it. Reinstalling all that would be such a pain in the ass. I've looked through so many tutorials, forum posts, and nothing has helped. This is my last resort, any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply 1 of 10, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if you have a spare ssd or hdd laying around, you can do a new install on that and slowly build up your software to the point where you either get the latency issues again or where they miraculously are no longer happening.
Might be from the start which would indicate some hardware problem, or it could even still be an annoying software problem due to the latest version being in use.

Good luck.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 10, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll have to borrow the drive from another laptop, I guess. Perhaps I'll try reinstalling the OS on that as a test this weekend.

Reply 3 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a similar issue with a desktop and my add-on sound card.

The issue was, windows was using a different quality/bitrate setting than what the sound card wanted. I attached a screenshot of the setting you need to check. I hate the WinBlows 10 settings, everything made much more sense in 7.

The default format needs to match your particular sound device. For my Soundblaster ZXR that was easy to find, but if you have onboard sound it might be much less intuitive. You might even have to google for a datasheet in some cases.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4 of 10, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, I'll look into that soon. My laptop uses Realtek High Definition Audio. Btw, the OS is Windows 7. I've never tried Windows 10 or especially 11 on it because I fear they won't run as well.

Reply 5 of 10, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I looked at the datasheet and it's supposed to support up to 24bit 192khz, and Windows is already set to that. Btw, under the enhancements tab if I check disable all sound effects the audio becomes extremely tinny even though I have nothing enabled under the effects list.

Reply 7 of 10, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-02-18, 01:32:

What are the specs of the laptop? What does the task manager show as far as CPU, RAM, and drive usage?

i5-2450m, 8gb RAM. The task manager shows that when just sitting on the desktop the CPU usage is usually at the low single digits (often 1 or 0) and memory usage is 22%. Drive usage is also normal to me. One thing I guess I should mention too is that this is the factory installation of Windows 7, though I removed the bloatware a while ago. I've been on this install since 2015, but migrated it to the SSD fairly recently.

Reply 8 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you have the latest BIOS installed?

Also try running this from an admin command prompt.
netsh int ip reset

Then reboot.

Also try disabling ipv6 and QOS for all network adapters.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 10, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do have the latest BIOS from late 2012 installed. I'll try the other suggestions very soon, thanks.

Reply 10 of 10, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried all those suggestions and did they work? Well...

nope.PNG

Notice what I was saying earlier where the highest measured interrupt to process latency meter isn't matching up with the highest DPC execution time reported.