VOGONS

First post, by StickByDos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sometimes I have to explain what I do with 3 computers on the same room, to friends who were born when I discovered video games (in the mid 80s with Atari ST). I say it's for old games and I have to face some weird and false arguments which make me think they are influenced by computer (and OS) reseller's revisionism:

You have an Athlon64 better than mine, better than old your oldies together, why don't you use it to run all your games since windows is compatible with dos ?

DOS is old why don't you use win 3.1 which is more recent ?
They think win 3.0 completly replaced dos.

Graphing (and divx with qvpro said showing its website) under dos, don't you mean realtime video to acsii-art conversion ?

Voodoo is crap, it can't do 2D and must be connected to another graphic card.

ISA/PCI sound story... stop fooling me, I'm not a n00b, it's easier to make sound than graphing under dos, since sound is integrated on the mobo whereas video must go through agp and dos is not graphic.

And they are in 3rd year computer science studies.

Soon, we'll hear geforce replaced hercule and cga.

Type win to loose the power of your computer !

Reply 1 of 6, by djp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Honestly, I think it's selective ignorance. People think new is better so they don't bother to learn the history.

Reply 2 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello, djp. Welcome to the forum. What a cute avatar you have, by the way.

"Selective ignorance". Never heard that before, but I think you hit the spot using that two words.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 6, by djp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why thank you. *Purrs*

Reply 4 of 6, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

StickByDos

you can always proove them wrong with this link

http://www.opus.co.tt/dave/

😀

Reply 5 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

lazy bumps and ignorant indeed.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Anyone who pretend to be in academics (which I supposed computer science students are), should also be prepared to back their statements up with quotable references from peer-reviewed journals. Why don't you just ask them to do that, and let them discover how the real world differs from their perceived world?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions