VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Axel X

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've had some mental issues for quite a few years (Some sort of psychosis according to my doctor), everything seems to be fine right now and I really hope this was a once in a lifetime experience.
As a result the pile of stuff has grown quite a bit (Mostly PC, audio and RC (cars) related), time to get rid of some stuff (I've already thrown out quite a bit, but it's hardly noticeable.)

Printers and scanners:
From what I've read/remember matrix printers tend to have some value, but what about laser printers like the HP 4L and 5L, or (Old) Inkjet printers? (The 4L needs some serious cleaning and both the 4L and 5L need new toner.)
I'll probably hold on to my Color Stylewriter 4500 (?) as ink cartridges are still available (Unfortunately it's not the USB version.)
I believe I only have 1 old scanner which I'll keep anyway, but what if I find more?

Computers:
I have a couple of PC's that I'll probably throw out tomorrow (2x Compaq Pentium 3 SFF and 2x HP Pentium 4 SFF I believe.) Any reason not to throw them out? Resale value? (I'm not a fan of proprietary stuff, the ones I'll keep/sell are Compaq 386 SFF PC's, I think I have 2, possibly only 1 is in working order.)
Should I throw out my PowerPC 5400 / 200 (Not sure about the exact model, but it looks the same and it has a 200MHz CPU too,) the reason I kept it was because of the printer and because I bought Angel Devoid (Big Box) in the 90's, while the box said DOS, many years later I found out that it was the Apple version in the wrong box (Got my hands on the proper discs last year, and found out that the game kinda sucks, possibly.) The printer requires Apple Talk (or something like that), but I wouldn't mind buying a G3 or G4 or so to still be able to use the printer and have a faster computer (To me it has no nostalgic value whatsoever.)
What about an Olivetti PC1 Prodest (I think it's the HD model, not sure tho, I also have some documentation.)
I'll most likely throw out some cases as well.

I have a lot more stuff (Laptops like a Compaq 486 and a HP (?) P4, sound cards, motherboards...etc,) but I want to get rid of things that take up most space first, tomorrow I can stuff a lot of crap in a big van and get rid of it forever (Good riddance).

"Meddle not in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer."

Reply 1 of 7, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can likely sell some of the stuff as long as you don’t care how much you get.

For me ebaying the stuff was a lot of work, hassle and at the time prices were very depressed.

I attempted to get local pickups but nobody local wanted the stuff so I tore a lot of it down and got my $0.50 a pound as board scrap including some newer poor condition CRTs.

It’s up to what you can handle, paying $$$ and recycling is the easiest, selling you might do well if there is some nostalgia folks bidding but packing and dealing with bidders is irritating

Small lightweight items are the easiest to sell, ship and deal with, large items can be an irritation.

I would always sell my stuff untested, as is no returns and show a video of the actual item operating.

On old stuff I rather take a hit on value rather than deal with mad customers and generally I got very good feedback with almost zero return and shipping damage hassle.

Reply 2 of 7, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Please keep in mind that money is not the only thing to consider. Getting rid of the clutter buys you valuable time as you have less stuff to take care of.
Selling those items is a lot of work as well, so you should not be ashamed of giving some of it away if needed, even if it has some monetary value.
Money can be recovered, time cannot.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 3 of 7, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have any consignment options available? Usually there is some kind of business available wherever one lives, which will take your stuff and sell it while taking their cut of the money. It's a good way to make sure you get as much as possible for your items (because it is in the consigner's interest to get as much as possible) while minimizing your time investment. If you've really had it, you could tell the consigners all you want is 10% or something like that. I would be surprised if they said no way unless you really own a large pile of junk you couldn't even give away.

Reply 4 of 7, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also had mind and collection problems the last years.
First i had to close down my car workshop where i was self employed. Then about a year later i lost my flat (landlords kicked me out because their daughter wanted to live in my flat).
I have a huge collection of retro PC stuff , wich was nicely sorted. I had to rent 2 garages to put all my stuff in the wait time for a new flat.
Its not all awesome retro gear i own, more like a general collection of stuff. Old stuff to keep other stuff alive or use/repair.
Everytime somebody wanted to throw things out i got it and put it in storage.
Finally last month i found a new flat after 6 month of searching (and living at friends and family) where i can move in next month.
That was a hard time for my mind. After closing my business and my landlords kicked me out with no warning i lost faith in humanity.
From having a business with happy customers to basically living on the street.

I had several times when i thought of getting rid of everything. But i put so much heart in my collection that i could not get rid of everything.
My new flat has a nice large attic where i can store everything, and im glad i did not throw out everything.
I dont like wasting stuff that somebody or i may need in the future. I am pretty good with mechanics and electronics and can / have fixed a lot of stuff.
It makes me happy to keep things alive nobody cares for anymore. So my collection is basically medicine for my mind...
I cant even get myself to sell things.

If you want to see your stuff in a nice collection instead of throwing it away let me know.
I can not offer a lot of money, just the feeling your things will get used or will help other things to live longer.
Greetings from germany near to the Netherland border (80km to Venlo).

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 5 of 7, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Make a pile of stuff that doesn’t make you happy, and take a pic of it, post it on here and say if you want any of it, take all of it, post your (general) location. That way it makes you happier and helps someone else with their collection 😀

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 6 of 7, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Surprisingly, collecting too much vintage computer equipment is considered a problem and even a mental issue, but collecting too much money, stock, or jewelry is considered almost the greatest achievement. 🙄

And if talking seriously, I think it's all about balance between your vital needs and your hobbies.

Reply 7 of 7, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I pile up a lot of stuff I have no interest in and they don't worth enough to test, I just make a list, take some photos, shovel them into a box and put up for auction with the lowest starting price possible. That way I free up space and get some pocket change without wasting too much time and the stuff gets to people who see value in them.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png