VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I remember those days of "search engine craze". Google was still relatively unknown, but we had Yahoo, Hotbot, MSN, Altavista.....

But just recently, a friend just pointed me this. Yup, it's called Exalead --another search engine.

Well, I just wonder though: is there still any significant differentiating factor between one search engine and another? Anyone has ever heard about thjis "Exalead"? What does it have to differentiate itself from Google?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A crappy name I can't remember?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exalead

Those crazy french.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, the "narrowing the search" panel on the upper left is actually pretty neat, although some of the sections seems to be redundant (there are already video and image search on Google anyway).

But new features aside, is there anything that can really, significantly differentiate a search engine today, especially when we're talking about mindshare?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 4, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No. Basically Google will win. Even MS's Live with integrated GPS mapping won't make it a viable option as most people recognise Google by name globally. Yahoo might survive in the longer term but that will only be due tight service integration with third party streaming providers and their own email/chat client branding. The merger with MSN will only kill MSN in the long term as people distrust MS more than any other brand...