Topic actions

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently bought a Moby 18 DVD + B Sides album (Mute Records) on ebay:

f6_8.JPG

It comes with a DVD and a 18 - B-Sides "bonus CD"; which is I gullibly presume to be an audio CD. Actually, it was the "bonus CD" that I was really after, because it has the song Landing --a song that I really love.

Well, turned out the "bonus CD" is not a RedBook audio CD at all, but a disgusting, DRM-encrusted music CD.

The problem is that I did not disable Autoplay, althouh I set it to "Prompt me each time to choose an action" instead of automatically playing whatever (malicious) autorun program on the CD. This is what I got when I inserted the CD:

DRM-01.jpg

At this time, of course I did not aware that it was a DRM-encrusted CD at all. Still, I did not choose to play the CD. Instead, I choose to "Open folder to view files using Windows Explorer" (it is always my habit regardless of whatever CD I insert).

It is at THIS point that I became aware that the CD is a disgusting, DRM-plagued CD.

DRM-02.jpg

Naturally, I did not proceed to play the CD.

However, I still manage to copy the contents of the readme.txt, and here's what I got:

readme for Moby […]
Show full quote

readme for Moby

The following hardware and software is the minimum required to play back this multimedia presentation:

- Intel Pentium-class processor or equivalent running at 166Mhz or faster (233Mhz+ recommended)

- Windows 95/98/2000/XP

- 32MB of installed RAM (64MB or more recommended)

- 256 colour display (thousands of colours or more recommended)

- 4x CD-ROM drive (8x or faster recommended)

- Connection To The Internet

Disclaimer:

This multimedia program is provided to the user without warranties, express or implied of any kind. Mute Records shall not be liable for any actual or consequential damages arising from the use of, or the inability to use the program.

So everything is clear now; the CD is a DRM-encrusted "music CD" (not a RedBook Audio CD) that may contain rootkit. And my laptop has been infected by the motherfucking rootkit. AAARRRGH!!!

See, now I cannot play audio CD --any audio CD-- unless my laptop is connected to the internet. It doesn't matter whether I play with WinAmp or Windows Media Player; I need to get connected to play an audio CD.

There are tons of error generated by Windows Media Player, but I managed to capture:

First, WMV complained that it does not support the file type:

0x80040241: Windows Media Player does not support this file type The file you are attempting to play may not be supported by Win […]
Show full quote

0x80040241: Windows Media Player does not support this file type
The file you are attempting to play may not be supported by Windows Media Player. The following table lists the file types (formats) supported by Windows Media Player.

File type (format) File name extension
Music CD Playback (CD audio) .cda
Audio Interchange File Format (AIFF) .aif, .aifc, and .aiff
Windows Media audio and video files .asf, .asx, .wax, .wm, .wma, .wmd, .wmp, .wmv, .wmx, .wpl, and .wvx
Windows audio and video files .avi and .wav
Windows Media Player skins .wmz
Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) .mpeg, .mpg, .m1v, .mp2, .mpa, .mpe, .mp2v*, and .mpv2
Musical Instrument Digital Interface (MIDI) .mid, .midi, and .rmi
AU (UNIX) .au and .snd
MP3 .mp3 and .m3u
DVD video .vob
Macromedia Flash .swf

*To play .mp2v files, you must have a software or hardware DVD decoder installed on your computer.

If the file type you are trying to play is included in this table, then the file may have been encoded by using a codec that is not supported by Windows Media Player. If this is the case, Windows Media Player cannot play the file.

Notes

To play DVDs, you must have a DVD-ROM drive, and a software or hardware DVD decoder installed on your computer. If you do not have a compatible DVD decoder installed, DVD-related commands, options, and controls do not appear in the Player and you cannot play DVDs. By default, Windows does not include a DVD decoder. For more information about DVD decoders, see Windows Help.
DVD playback is only available on select versions of Windows.
Error ID = 0x80040241, Condition ID = 0x00000000

Weird, huh? All the CD I've tried are RedBook audio CD, and WMA complained that "it doesn't support the filetype".

And here's another error message; things seem getting clearer now, as this error message says that I need to get connected to the internet to play the audio CD:

0xC00D1197: Cannot play the file Windows Media Player cannot play the file. You may encounter this error message for one of the […]
Show full quote

0xC00D1197: Cannot play the file
Windows Media Player cannot play the file. You may encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:

Your computer is not connected to the local area network (LAN) or to the Internet. Connect to the network or Internet, and then try again.
The path to the file is not valid. If you typed a Uniform Resource Locator (URL) in the Open URL dialog box, ensure that the file name is spelled correctly and the path to the file is correct, and then try again. If you clicked a link on a Web page, the link may not be valid.
The server is down or busy. Try again later.
Some network protocols in the Player are not enabled. Enable all network protocols, and then try again.
The proxy server settings for the Player are not configured properly. Verify that your proxy settings are correct, and then try again.
To enable all network protocols
On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Network tab.
In the Streaming protocols area, select all the protocol check boxes.
To verify your proxy server settings
On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Network tab.
Verify your settings in the Streaming proxy settings area.
Note

If you do not know what your proxy server settings should be, on the Network tab, select a protocol, click Configure, and then select Autodetect proxy settings or Use proxy settings of the Web browser (available for HTTP protocol only).
Error ID = 0xC00D1197, Condition ID = 0x00000000

And here's the third error message --which explains why I need to get connected to the internet to play audio CDs.

0x80041002: Cannot find the license for this file Windows Media Player cannot find the license for this file. The license may ha […]
Show full quote

0x80041002: Cannot find the license for this file
Windows Media Player cannot find the license for this file. The license may have been deleted or may have become corrupted. If you have backup copies of your licenses, you can restore them, and then try playing the file again. If you do not have backup copies of your licenses, you need to obtain a new license for the content. If you need a license for a CD track that you copied, copy the CD track again. If you need a license for a file that you downloaded from the Internet, return to the Web site where you got it and download the file again.

For more information about backing up and restoring licenses, see Windows Media Player Help.

Error ID = 0x80041002, Condition ID = 0x00000000

So now, I need to "obtain a license" to play an audio CD --any audio CD.

Anyone's got experience with this kind of rootkit before? HELP! punchballs.gif punchballs.gif punchballs.gif punchballs.gif punchballs.gif

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 25, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have found this link using Google. I don't know whether it will be useful to you or not. I avoid copy protected stuff as the plague.

Here is an article at The Register.

There is also this Removal Tool but use it with caution.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 25, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I might be stoopid but I fail to see anything here that indicates that a root-kit got installed.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 25, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I agree. I've heard of the Sony rootkit, but there's no indication in KAN's post of any nefarious activity. It looks like his WMP has been screwed around with and it's probably his own fault.

Reply 5 of 25, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dh4rm4 wrote:

I agree. I've heard of the Sony rootkit, but there's no indication in KAN's post of any nefarious activity. It looks like his WMP has been screwed around with and it's probably his own fault.

Normally, you should be able to play RedBook audio CD (plain audio CD) in Windows regardless whether you are connected to the internet or not.

Now, I can only play audio CD when my computer is connected to the internet. Also, it doesn't really matter whether I use WinAmp or Windows Media Player, so I believe it is not WMP-specific problem. Instead, it seems that my CD-ROM driver (firmware?) has been overwritten with something else --something that keeps me from playing RedBook audio CD when my computer is not connected to the internet.

It happens after I inserted the Moby album I've mentioned in the OP, so I believe it is a rootkit.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 6 of 25, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You probably won't like to hear that, but i believe the most efficient solution for the problem would be to reinstall your OS. This is based on the fact that, no matter what exactly happened to your system, you will have a _very_ hard time finding out what the problem exactly is, not to mention fixing it. If it's really a "Rootkit" (the term is actually not really appropriate for the Sony-crap-copy-protection), then chances are you won't be able to completely get rid of it at all.

See? That's what you get for listening to Moby. Hope that teaches ya. 😎

Reply 7 of 25, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ADDiCT wrote:

You probably won't like to hear that, but i believe the most efficient solution for the problem would be to reinstall your OS.

I knew it. Somehow I knew that I have to reinstall the whole thing. 😢 😵 punchballs.gif

Well maybe I should try the rootkit removal tool pointed by eL_PuSHeR first (thanks, eL_PuSHeR!). If the worst happens, I can always reinstall.

ADDiCT wrote:

This is based on the fact that, no matter what exactly happened to your system, you will have a _very_ hard time finding out what the problem exactly is, not to mention fixing it. If it's really a "Rootkit" (the term is actually not really appropriate for the Sony-crap-copy-protection), then chances are you won't be able to completely get rid of it at all.

It is not Sony, actually --it is MUTE Records. Is it a subsidiary of Sony BMG?

ADDiCT wrote:

See? That's what you get for listening to Moby. Hope that teaches ya. 😎

Heathen! Moby is cool! 😜 😁

Well actually I have stopped listening to "mainstream" music (radio top fourties) anymore; right now I only listen to Electronica. But maybe it's also the reason why I have never encountered such rootkit before. See, albums like Buddha Bar, Ibiza compilations, and Cafe del Mar are never protected by such DRM. It seems Moby is an exception.... 😢

Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on 2007-06-22, 06:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 25, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IMHO Moby IS commercial Top 40 and he's CRAP and he's DERIVATIVE and he's so last decade....

Regarding the rootkit, this app doesn't act at all like Sony's does. Firstly, you installed a DVD Helper app and secondly you were notified that a license was to be downloaded. A rootkit is silent and Sony's doesn't rely on licenses but rather denies the usage of known copy tools, such as Daemon Tools etc.

What's far more likely is that WMP got screwed by the license for the video that was downloaded. It's MS Software and these things sometimes happen - owners of the T2 Special Edition DVD that used the WMV HD portion had similar licensing issues when it was first released too.

ADDiCT : The Sony rootkit is in actual fact a rootkit.

Reply 9 of 25, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dh4rm4 wrote:

IMHO Moby IS commercial Top 40 and he's CRAP and he's DERIVATIVE and he's so last decade....

He is one of those few Electronica artists whose songs manage to reach mainstream audience, but he is still an Electronica artist --same case with Oakenfold.

(but of course, I still pick Nick Warren all the way to Sunday).

dh4rm4 wrote:

Regarding the rootkit, this app doesn't act at all like Sony's does.

You're correct in this matter. In fact, I have executed cmd /k sc delete $sys$aries, and nothing happened.

dh4rm4 wrote:

Firstly, you installed a DVD Helper app and secondly you were notified that a license was to be downloaded.

The problem is that I never installed a DVD Helper app, and I was not notified that a license was to be downloaded anyway. See, I didn't bother with the DVD at all --the sole reason I bought the album above is the bonus CD; the 18 B-Sides that contains the song Landing.

dh4rm4 wrote:

A rootkit is silent and Sony's doesn't rely on licenses but rather denies the usage of known copy tools, such as Daemon Tools etc.

Well, the problem is that I never executed the specific audio player embedded with the bonus CD. All I did was choosing "Open folder to view files" when prompted to do so; just like I said on the OP.

The next thing I knew is that I cannot play RedBook audio CD if I'm not connected to the net.

dh4rm4 wrote:

What's far more likely is that WMP got screwed by the license for the video that was downloaded.

But like I said, the very same thing happened when trying to play audio CD with WinAmp, so I suspected that it is my CD-ROM driver that has been overwritten --not my WMP.

Furthermore, I also have two "virtual" CD-ROM drive provided by Nero (Nero Image Drive), and they also suffered from the very same problem, so I guess it is something that infects every CD drives on my system to prevent them playing audio CD when I'm not connected to the internet.

Data CDs, on the other hand, work just fine whether I'm connected or not.

Reply 10 of 25, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh god, you're not going to put Oakie and Moby in the same discussion are you? To compound that with rambling of Nick Warren is almost criminal....

Moby is a commercial artist and sample raper who stands on the shoulders of real innovators and those who've really striven and starved for their art. Paul Oakenfold is one of the MOST commercial dance producers around while Nick Warren is probably the only real innovator of the the three you discussed. That said I'd take both over Moby's egoTESTICAL self flattering garbage any day. I'm speaking of my personal taste here....

If you really want to listen to innovators of electronica try Daft Punk, Simian Mobile Disco (SIMIAN) and Justice among others. The latter two are more about the sound of now, whereas Daft Punk really changed the electronic landscape in the late 90s to early 2000s.

Also get your ears around "MAAS Attacks" by Timo Maas to see what a real sample guru can do....

Back on topic : You may not have ran an app, but unless you can show ALL sessions on the CD I can only assume that something was run via autorun....

That readme and the files you show don't indicate ANY form of DRM btw....

Reply 11 of 25, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Better stick to the topic, and don't flame about music stuff.

There seem to be several rootkit detection tools around, see if they
find anything. Look through the hijackthis logs if there's anything odd.
Boot in safe mode and look at cdrom-related filess in the device manager
and in the system32/drivers directory (examine manufacturer strings,
look at file creation/manipulation dates).
No idea if it helps, but maybe better than reinstalling even if the second
is necessary after that 😀

Reply 12 of 25, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wd wrote:

Better stick to the topic, and don't flame about music stuff.

Agree. It seems a thread split is needed.

dh4rm4 wrote:

Back on topic : You may not have ran an app, but unless you can show ALL sessions on the CD I can only assume that something was run via autorun....

Hmmm... Maybe that's the reason why something malicious had probably installed itself to my system despite the fact I did not execute the embedded player.

dh4rm4 wrote:

That readme and the files you show don't indicate ANY form of DRM btw....

The readme clearly says that I need to get connected to the internet to play the music CD. The WMP error message I posted clearly shows that now I need to get connected to the internet to play a plain RedBook Audio CD --and it is also what precisely happens to my system now.

wd wrote:
There seem to be several rootkit detection tools around, see if they find anything. Look through the hijackthis logs if there's […]
Show full quote

There seem to be several rootkit detection tools around, see if they
find anything. Look through the hijackthis logs if there's anything odd.
Boot in safe mode and look at cdrom-related filess in the device manager
and in the system32/drivers directory (examine manufacturer strings,
look at file creation/manipulation dates).
No idea if it helps, but maybe better than reinstalling even if the second
is necessary after that 😀

Thanks. I'll start tinkering with them after next Monday, as well as trying the rootkit removal tool El Pusher had posted.

Reply 14 of 25, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But what infected my system as such, then?

Reply 15 of 25, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your system is not infected with anything. At least, not from this CD. Windows Media Player sucks and obviously has other issues beyond supposedly wanting to connect to the Internet since it was complaining about, among other things, invalid file formats.

Where is the disconnect coming from that you're having between a program called "Link To Website" needing an Internet connection to work?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 16 of 25, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

Your system is not infected with anything. At least, not from this CD. Windows Media Player sucks and obviously has other issues beyond supposedly wanting to connect to the Internet since it was complaining about, among other things, invalid file formats.

Where is the disconnect coming from that you're having between a program called "Link To Website" needing an Internet connection to work?

But Snov, it also happens when I'm using WinAmp --even WinAmp won't play audio CD if my laptop is not connected to the internet (saying No CD despite the fact I have inserted the CD). Previously, I can always play RedBook audio CD whether my laptop is connected or not --as it is supposed to be.

Reply 17 of 25, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it says there is no disc, it is either:
1. Broken CD,
2. Broken CD drive,
3. Enhanced CD,
4. Maybe a problem with the CDDB plugin.

WinAmp does not read low-level disc structure and cannot play Enhanced CDs. The only software that I know of that will read the additional non-data tracks on a mixed mode disc are the original CD Player for Windows 9x and ripping software like EAC.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 18 of 25, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

If it says there is no disc, it is either:
1. Broken CD,

Well I have tried various audio CDs, and they ain't broken CDs. Those CDs still works perfectly in other computer.

The weird thing is that the content of the audio CD (the .cda files) are still shown in the Windows Explorer, but WinAmp just keeps saying "No CD".

Oddly, after I connected the laptop to the internet, WinAmp recognizes those tracks again. And when I disconnected, the CD disappeared again from WinAmp.

Snover wrote:

2. Broken CD drive,

I have tested with data CDs as well, and they work fine.

Snover wrote:

3. Enhanced CD,

The Moby album is an enhanced CD, but I've also tested it with plain (RedBook) audio CD; the results have been always the same: no internet connection, no audio CD can be recognized.

Snover wrote:

4. Maybe a problem with the CDDB plugin.

I have disabled CDDB plugin right after I installed WinAmp --CDDB popup is kinda annoying.

Well this whole thing is annoying --the need to connect to the internet to play audio CD. What actually happened?