VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dh4rm4 wrote:

Oh god, you're not going to put Oakie and Moby in the same discussion are you? To compound that with rambling of Nick Warren is almost criminal....

I merely said that they are examples of Electronica artists whose tunes happen to reach mainstream audience --none I've compared the quality of those artists I've mentioned.

dh4rm4 wrote:

Moby is a commercial artist and sample raper who stands on the shoulders of real innovators and those who've really striven and starved for their art.

While Oakenfold has been guilty for such thing (IIRC he put his name on some albums that he contributed a shit), I've never heard Moby doing such thing. Define "stands of the shoulders of real innovators", please.

My point is: just because some Electronica artists manage to reach the mainstream audience, it doesn't automatically mean that they cannot make good songs. Landing is an excellent song, while it's not quite a top fourty song. Porcelain is STILL an excellent song, despite the fact that it is quite popular among the mainstream (blame the movie The Beach for it).

By the way, any artists who sell their music to the consumers ARE commercial artists, per se. You want Electronic artists who give away their music for free? Then listen to The Precursors. Whether they make good songs or not should be based on their song, of course, not based on the fact thay they are artist "who've really striven and starved for their art".

dh4rm4 wrote:

Paul Oakenfold is one of the MOST commercial dance producers around

Agree. Yet, he is not quite a "top fourty pop artists" that I have been avoiding to listen since the last few years --definitely NOT in the same league as top fourty "pop dance" artists like Aqua.

For all the crap he did, he is still an Electronica artist. Furthermore, not all his tunes are crappy. This Is Trance may be crappy, but Hypnotized is still a good song.

dh4rm4 wrote:

while Nick Warren is probably the only real innovator of the the three you discussed.

I love Nick Warren --many of his songs are excellent. However, it takes more than subjective taste to call certain artists "real innovator" while some others ain't.

dh4rm4 wrote:

That said I'd take both over Moby's egoTESTICAL self flattering garbage any day.

I don't understand what "egotestical self flattering garbage" you were talking about. Some of his song are pop-like garbage IMO (Bodyrock, anyone?), but Wishpering Wind is still a nice downtempo tune.

dh4rm4 wrote:

I'm speaking of my personal taste here....

Bingo.

dh4rm4 wrote:

If you really want to listen to innovators of electronica try Daft Punk, Simian Mobile Disco (SIMIAN) and Justice among others. The latter two are more about the sound of now, whereas Daft Punk really changed the electronic landscape in the late 90s to early 2000s.

Been there, done that. I'm not saying that their music is crappy, though; they make quite excellent music.

However, being a fanboy to particular artist is not my thing --my "fanatism" is geared toward particular songs, not artists. Unless, of course, you really believe that I'm a Moby fanboy despite the 😜 and 😁 smileys I posted.

dh4rm4 wrote:

whereas Daft Punk really changed the electronic landscape in the late 90s to early 2000s.

Ah, yes, the Homework album. But Daft Punk also got commercial success with that, so I don't think you're justified to judge the (lack of) quality of a particular Electronica artist based on their commercial success.

dh4rm4 wrote:

Also get your ears around "MAAS Attacks" by Timo Maas to see what a real sample guru can do....

Been there, done that. See above.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 3, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Let's just be glad that Electronica has exploded with more quality tunes comming out 😀

With that said, I'll take some more songs/mixes by 4 Strings, Teebee, Pendulum, Kai Tracid, High Contrast, Mauro Picotto, Underworld, Scot Project, Corsten, Eddie Halliwell, etc please 😀

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 2 of 3, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If Electronica is what you have mentioned, then I am more into Electro such as APB (Apoptygma Berzerk) Red Flag, New Order, Namnambulu and an arseload of other artists. So that is how I see it 😀

Reply 3 of 3, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm actually more into Downtempo / Ambient. However, my preference is geared more toward particular songs instead of particular artists.

My favorite songs of all time are:

IIO - Rapture (Soulside Mix)
Vangarde feat. XXL - Turbulence
Aromabar - Winter Pagent
Chicane - No Ordinary Morning
Moby - Landing
Lux - 100 Billion Stars
Lamb - Gabriel

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.