VOGONS

Common searches

Permanently Banned don't know why

Topic actions

First post, by jabz10

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi I made an account 7 days ago as I was looking at participating and I am interested in building a retro computer out of parts I have.
However when I attempted to login a few days ago to make a post for help identifying a mainboard, I was presented with a "You are permanently banned. Contact us if you think this is a mistake. with reason "Reason: Ban evasion".
I never made a post before to do anything to be banned for? So I emailed the contact us form.
No reply, so I thought Id re-create an an account, as I feel I may have done something wrong in the original account creation.

With the recreated account I made a post about help identifying a socket 7 mainboard. However a day later that user was also banned and post removed. I realise in hindsight it may not have been the wisest thing to do I probably should have just posted here.
Well now I am posting here. I am Unsure why my original account which was only 7 days old was perm banned, I never posted anything with it, I did verify my email (gmail add) so its not that?!
Is there a way I can resolve this? I haven't had any replies yet to the contact us form. I am hoping it's not being ignored due to mods thinking im actually trying to evade a ban.

Also this place Vogons appears to be the most active about Vintage computers, other sites seems to be wastelands with infrequent posts etc. So Id prefer to be able to participate here.

thanks.

Reply 2 of 21, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jabz10 wrote on 2022-12-24, 00:48:
Hi I made an account 7 days ago as I was looking at participating and I am interested in building a retro computer out of parts […]
Show full quote

Hi I made an account 7 days ago as I was looking at participating and I am interested in building a retro computer out of parts I have.
However when I attempted to login a few days ago to make a post for help identifying a mainboard, I was presented with a "You are permanently banned. Contact us if you think this is a mistake. with reason "Reason: Ban evasion".
I never made a post before to do anything to be banned for? So I emailed the contact us form.
No reply, so I thought Id re-create an an account, as I feel I may have done something wrong in the original account creation.

With the recreated account I made a post about help identifying a socket 7 mainboard. However a day later that user was also banned and post removed. I realise in hindsight it may not have been the wisest thing to do I probably should have just posted here.
Well now I am posting here. I am Unsure why my original account which was only 7 days old was perm banned, I never posted anything with it, I did verify my email (gmail add) so its not that?!
Is there a way I can resolve this? I haven't had any replies yet to the contact us form. I am hoping it's not being ignored due to mods thinking im actually trying to evade a ban.

Also this place Vogons appears to be the most active about Vintage computers, other sites seems to be wastelands with infrequent posts etc. So Id prefer to be able to participate here.

thanks.

I don't know how Vogons handles bans but It might be possible you have an IP address that's close to or similar to a previously banned IP.

Reply 4 of 21, by jabz10

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-12-24, 03:12:

Maybe, although my gmail email is working fine, I even received the email validation link etc, and clicked it to verify etc.
Hopefully the admin/mods can clear it up, and either delete the other accounts and let me continue with this one or reactivate the original and delete this. I don't mind either way as both have no post history.

Reply 5 of 21, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm guessing that the first time they took you as a previously banned user who tried to create a new account to return.
If it was a mistake I'm sure someone from the mods/admins team will jump in soon to fix things.

Reply 7 of 21, by jabz11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes I (jabz10) got banned again a couple of days later, with still no explanations of the original ban.
I don't know what to do at this point. Are there any mods/admins in this forum? I can't even send any PM to them to explain.
I guess this login will also be banned within 24hrs.

It doesn't help that in these holidays I decided to build a retro computer, I can't participate in the forums to ask questions etc.

Reply 8 of 21, by jabz11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dolenc wrote on 2022-12-28, 23:56:

I bet jabz1 to 9 are banned.

Beware jabz11 !

haha no I have only created 3 accounts, 2 for attempting to communicate for the ban explanations, which I have had nothing so far only more bans.

Reply 9 of 21, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is nuts. Poor guy. Admins! Help!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 11 of 21, by jabz11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great thanks for that!.
I wrote a couple of times when you get banned there is an option that says if you think this is an error contact us. So I did that.
I understand its Christmas etc but its been 13 days since the original ban and still no response..

If this user gets banned, I'd appreciate if someone checked and try and contact a mod/admin for me. I don't think I'll try recreating yet another user which will just end up banned in 24hrs yet again..

Reply 12 of 21, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2022-12-29, 07:21:

I wrote a message to admins using memberlist.php?mode=contactadmin (links is at the bottom of the page).

...and I reported the post above so that it draws some attention.

Reply 13 of 21, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow! I feel sorry that your original account got banned for unexplained reasons. 😖

Hope the admins help you solve the issue!

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 16 of 21, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote on 2022-12-30, 01:54:

Admins and mods are usually very active on this site. Strange they are not commenting here.

Yeah, where *are* the admins at?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 17 of 21, by jabz11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gentlepoke wrote on 2022-12-30, 00:57:

jabz - This appears to be the opening poster's original account.

That’s the 2nd account I made, the actual first one is “Jabs” it got auto corrected for some reason. But I just went with it. Then when I went to login and post a couple of days later, it said I was banned due to ”ban evasion”…
And you know the rest of the saga…

I don’t mind if they just let me keep this current user. I have no post history except for this thread.

Reply 18 of 21, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jabz11 wrote on 2022-12-30, 02:39:
That’s the 2nd account I made, the actual first one is “Jabs” it got auto corrected for some reason. But I just went with it. […]
Show full quote
Gentlepoke wrote on 2022-12-30, 00:57:

jabz - This appears to be the opening poster's original account.

That’s the 2nd account I made, the actual first one is “Jabs” it got auto corrected for some reason. But I just went with it. Then when I went to login and post a couple of days later, it said I was banned due to ”ban evasion”…
And you know the rest of the saga…

I don’t mind if they just let me keep this current user. I have no post history except for this thread.

It seems like maybe the latest one is safe? Still
Active?

I’m pretty active around here if the admins need help. (When they finally find this thread 🤣)

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)