keenmaster486 wrote on 2023-04-11, 15:41:
I see two problems here: 1. Using AWS 2. Using "ZeroTier One" […]
Show full quote
Demetrio wrote on 2023-04-10, 07:31:
I made some tests about this, both with UDP and IPX over Internet: […]
Show full quote

I made some tests about this, both with UDP and IPX over Internet:

• UDP multiplayer
    Recently I tested Quake II coop with a friend of mine, as I wrote in this thread.
    I used an AWS EC2 (the free tier) in which I installed a Quake II server trough game-data-packager and quake2-server (I had to copy a zip of the game files from my local machine to the EC2 through scp).
    I experienced severe lag on my PII build, but I think it is caused by the ISA ethernet card, which cannot keep up with modern Mac Internet speed. Maybe there will not be lag if all clients are retro PC.
  • IPX over Internet multiplayer
    I used the already mentioned ipxbox in a Linux machine, connected to my local LAN, and a virtual LAN (ZeroTier One) to play The Ultimate DOOM between my retro Pentium MMX PC and my friend's DosBox, where the latter would connect to ipxbox through the virtual LAN.
    Unfortunately, the lag (experienced both by me and my friend) made the game unplayable. Don't know if it's a limit of the IPX protocol (made for local networks) or of my retro build NIC.

I see two problems here:
1. Using AWS
2. Using "ZeroTier One"

Try those servers first using local play, then normal port forwarding on your router, with both parties having good broadband connections, without any third party services, before you draw any conclusions.

Regarding point 1.

I had the same problems playing in PacketFlinger.com German server (same geographic area as the AWS VM) with my Pentium II client.
No lag with my modern build.
Both PCs are in the same LAN, so my connection is not the problem.
Don't know if the server is running on a VM, but I don't think it makes any difference.

Because of this, I assumed the problem could be the "slowness" of the ISA ethernet card, in my PII build.

BTW, mine were only assumptions, didn't want to draw any conclusions.