VOGONS

CD/DVD

Topic actions

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is anyone here still burning CDs or DVDs? If so, what brand? (just curious)

Reply 1 of 7, by sneeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hundreds of cd's in the last few months, I picked up a load of blank media a while ago, mainly Philips and Imation cd's. Burnt them all at 8x or 16x on my modernish pc.

Found so many things I used to use back in the day and put them all onto my p233, its probably better set up software wise then my machine in 1998. As I nowhvae all the cd's I missed back in the day.

Reply 2 of 7, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i still have one full and one half of those 50 cdr stacks (i think they might be Imation CD-Rs) that i bought many years ago on sale thinking "wow this will last months and months", and they instead are destined to last decades

i haven't burned a CD for years and that's probably because i have a couple of rescue CDs that work ok for systems that wont boot from USB and those are enough to get whatever USB ports they have working which means i can use USB

If i had enough pre USB PCs i'd likely use CD-R more though

Reply 4 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A lot of Verbatim CD-Rs. I also have a single CD-RW from the same brand that was used to transfer essential drivers and software prior configuring the NICs on older computers.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 5 of 7, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Glad to see some people are still using physical media 😉

Reply 6 of 7, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

At home - not too much, as above I too have a stack of the good Verbatim DVD- and CD-Rs with about 20 left out of 50 each of both, my new car replaced CD with SD, I did buy a 5-pack of Philips DVD-RWs for the ludicrous price of 10 € (wanted to install Leopard the traditional way on my Mac Mini G4) and they suck hard 😠

That said I did switch from a Ryzen 4600 to an Ivy Bridge PC (both name-brands in proprietary cases) in part because of the optical drive 😀
It seems that I sold all of my IDE recorders at Marzaglia without noticing it, a little surprised there was such a demand, at the same time not surprising at all since cheap/thin/USB external drives suck too!

At work - on average 100 DVDs a week 😉 , again the orange good Verbatims but the inkjet label type and yes it does get printed!

Reply 7 of 7, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

True story, I had like a 200+ wallet full of CD-R. transitioned it all to DVD and threw out the CD-R. Well, I had a fit of nostalgia (along with a slide mistrust of DVD) and wound up re-burning a LOT of them. Fast forward, I wound up throwing out most of them 🤣