VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finished the game on the "normal" diffculty setting this morning, and i must say i'm amazed. Not by the quality of the game, but amazed about the massive scores the game got all over the place (9.5 on Gamespot and IGN, for example). When reading the reviews, it sounds like Halo III is the best, most groundbreaking console FPS ever.

Well, to make it short: in my opinion, it isn't. And it doesn't deserve these high ratings. It makes me wonder how much of MS's marketing budget for the title has been spent to "buy" these ratings (or "influence" them, by buying ad space).

Don't get me wrong, i like console FPS. They are a different affair than PC shooters for sure, but once you get used to the controls, they can be a lot of fun. I played a lot of them, on the XBox, the XBox 360, and the GameCube (the consoles i own). I also liked Halo II on the XBox very much. The graphics, music, gameplay, story - it was a really intensive game, and i enjoyed playing it very much. I'm not much of an online player, though. I haven't got enough time to get really good with the games, and that leads to a situation where i can see the potential in online gaming, but am not able to enjoy it very much, because i'm getting my arse kicked big time by all the people that have been playing the game for ages, and know every trick. I'm judging the single player part of Halo III.

Halo III is a good game. The graphics and sound are nothing short of amazing. There are moments in the game where you can just say "Wow". At times, there's so much happening around you, that you're just overwhelmed by all the explosions, NPC speech lines, action, and so on. But the problem is: the single player campaign is only 5 or 6 hours long. I was playing on the "normal" difficulty setting, and it seemed that the game was over just at a point where i started to _really_ enjoy playing it. The storyline is forgettable, and there was not a single point in the game where i had the feeling that i had achieved something. It was just a matter of figuring out how to handle the enemies and weaponry, and from that point, all battles were more or less the same. There were two major "stoppers" in the game - one fight where i had to fight two gigantic enemies at once, and one where i had to deal with a lot of "Flood" enemies. But, with the correct strategy, and because of the game's liberal use of checkpoints, these sequences were not much of a problem to complete.

My conclusion is that Halo III is nothing more than a "extension" to Halo II, like a Halo 2.5. The storyline ends the way it should have ended in Halo II, instead of the lame cliffhanger they presented us in that game. The game's engine has been updated to make use of the XBox 360's hardware power, but there are no new game elements, besides some minor additions like removable turrets, or the "extra powers" (Bubble shield, etc.) you can use. The campaign is too short, and the storyline is lame. Halo III is a good game, but it's not the groundbreaking, genre-defining piece of software MS wants us to believe it is.

I wish MS had invested the marketing budget for the game's development instead. With more money, and a bit more time, the game could have really been groundbreaking (remind you, i'm talking single player). The potential is definitely there, and i feel like i was kind of betrayed. This could have been BIG, really big.

On a second thought, it seem absolutely logical that this game _had_ to be hyped the way it is. With the current situation on the console market (Nintendo selling the WII like crazy, and all the fuss about the 360 hardware), MS is desperately in need of good publicity. And they seem to be pretty good in terms of marketing, PR, lobbying, and all that stuff.

Any opinions on this? Am i the only one with that kind of view?

Reply 2 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I guess it's not too suprising. From the beginning the XBOX 360 was about being connected and playing with other people. What will be interesting is to see if Halo 3 multiplayer will take over from Halo 2 multiplayer or at least take out a significant chunk of Halo 2's player base.

Is there a version of Halo 3 for the original XBOX?
Can Halo 2 on XBOX 1 play online with Halo 2 on XBOX 360?

The problem with FPS games is that almost all of them are just that. FPS games. That's it. Just like the adventure games of old they are going to have to incorporate elements of other games to provide more meat to the gameplay. Sadly since console gamers really haven't had many FPS games in their lifetime the introduction of FPS's to console gamer has stagnated the genre and has affected the PC due to cross-platform FPS games. I'm betting that if Halo and it's kind hadn't been introduced on consoles we'd actually have more advanced gameplay on PC shooters....but well that's just speculation.

I played Halo 1 a bit on the original XBOX but it seemed like nothing more than an average shooter. I played it all the way through on the PC and again I had the same opinion. Oh, and the ending that everyone loved in Halo 1 made me go WTF? It was a lame race against the clock ending...wtf was that?

I tried to play Halo 1/2 multiplayer with friends but I can never play FPS's adequatly on a console so I pretty much ended up getting my ass handed to me and the gameplay never interests me anyway.

It's likely MS cut short Halo 2 so that they could have a Halo 3 for the XBOX 360 to sell some units. Looks like the crappy ending of Halo 2 didn't really affect sales that much since Halo is all about the multiplayer. It'll likely be the same with Halo 3. Single-player will be disregared over the multipler. I guess NPD will be able to tell us which sold more units over time Halo 2 or Halo 3.....I'm betting Halo 3 won't come anywhere close to Halo 2.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 13, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ADDiCT wrote:

I wish MS had invested the marketing budget for the game's development instead.

Isn't that the case for every MS products? 😉

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 4 of 13, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, MS bashing, how original... <Yawn> MS does marketing, of course. And they are doing a very good job in that field, AFAICT. The question is: where does "normal" marketing (if there is such a thing at all) end, and where does hyping begin?

DOSFreak: the sales numbers of H2 vs. H3 will be really interesting. But i guess, since the marketing is so aggressive, that H3 will outsell H2 - and maybe even lead to more 360's being moved.

The "dumbing down" of FPS is really obvious if you play new FPS games on the PC. Because of my new graphics card, i played some of the newer games on the PC, and i was amazazed at how "lame" they were, compared to really groundbreaking games of the genre. Examples are Prey (nice idea and cool effects, especially the portals, but very easy to complete) and even the much-hyped FEAR, which is not a really good game IMHO (the "great" AI that so many people were raving about is not really that good, if you look at it). These games are more like interactive movies from a first person perspective, with a difficulty level that's tuned to allow an unexperienced player to complete the game easily, thus seeing all of the game's content. The equivalent to cheesy Hollywood action flix, so to say.

Of all the PC FPS's i was playing recently, my favourites were HL2 (which is really groundbreaking IMHO, in several sections - graphics, interaction with the environment, storytelling, etc.), and Quake 4, which gave me the most ferocious fighting and best overall "feeling".

The console FPS's i was playing were all more or less forgettable. I really liked Urban Chaos and Halo 2 on the XBox, and Black was just amazing. On the 360, there's no really great FPS's IMHO (Call of Duty 2 or 3 maybe).

Reply 5 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

HL2 is groundbreaking for cinematic storytelling in a game. It is also the most linear-feeling game I think I have ever played. It is very restrictive on where you can go, because of how unpredictable things could get otherwise (and break their scripting). To be honest, I really ended up not liking the game much at all because of how little choice you have in anything. I always think of Rebel Assault when I recall Half Life 2 (lol), even if that is a little harsh. 😀

Personally I am completely tired of scripted games. That is why I keep coming back to the otherwise mediocre Oblivion. You can just go anywhere and do anything. But it also shows you just how little AI has improved in like 2 decades. The game is not exactly very dynamic in its responses to your actions. Nevermind the various unbelievably stupid gameplay decisions they made.

AI limitations are the problem with games development. Obviously we aren't going to have sentient AIs reacting to us anytime soon. But that basically means that I think we've played about the best that can be come up with. I also think we've lost more than we've gained this decade. I really miss the "simulations" of the '90s. Mostly I'm referring to sci-fi stuff like MechWarrior and the X-Wing/Wing Commander series.

Today's MMO and done-before FPS world really bores me. It just feels like everyone out there must be 15 yrs old and have very little gaming background, because of how they fall for the hype and cry out about how "XYZ" FPS is the future.

Bioshock and Halo 3 are good examples of games that are quite overblown.

Although, Crysis looks interesting if only because the areas will be expansive and you at least have a semblance of freedom.

Reply 6 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Sorry, but FPS games just bore me, I can not get into any of them again. For me it's all "been there, done that!". I played Ultima Underworld through, I played a little Castel Wolfenstein and some Doom 1+2 but mostly just for laughs and to shot at something. Duke Nukem 3D got me more interested, I loved Quake (mostly becaue of my job at a financial institute at that time and the wonderful Trent Reznor Soundtrack and the NIN-Gun) and I also loved Unreal. After that I couldn't be bothered anymore. I played a little Quake 2 but beyond that I only saw those games at friend's LAN partys.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 13, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ughhh. Are you comparing Ultima Underworld with Doom? You know Ultima Underworld is an RPG, don't you?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 8 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Ughhh. Are you comparing Ultima Underworld with Doom? You know Ultima Underworld is an RPG, don't you?

wohah, you can be annoying, can't you? I'm not the first person to compare UW to Doom, go figure it out why. Maybe you will get it.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 13, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FPS games rock. Some are shit. Some are derivations of either rocking or shit and some are portions of both. End of story. People also like to piss and moan about the death of art in modern cinema, yet heaps of modern cinema is fantastic. The sky is not falling.

Reply 11 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That depends on your perspective. I'd argue that lots of movies are shit these days and that they are shitting on a lot of excellent franchises along the way. That AVP nonsense is my current favorite example.

As for shooters, I like em. I've played almost every FPS since Stellar 7 and Wolf3D. I guess I've definitely grown a bit weary of the corridor action that most offer. But I also think this may just be a limit of the genre. After all, if they try to add non-linear paths, you may never see some of it. It's too expensive to make a game like that today. (Of course, game's aren't getting cheaper). And, even with just one obvious path to follow, games that took years to make still frequently last under 10 hours.

I just want more games that try to be more than a linear jaunt. Really, most FPS games haven't changed much in 10 years. They've been refined obviously, and gotten prettier, but I can have as much fun with Goldeneye as just about any modern game.

Halo 3 is just the console world's latest taste of good FPS action. They also finally get some excellent multiplayer and the semblance of an editor. Nothing real shocking there though. Of course, the console world is massively outspoken and want to make it seem like Halo 3 is some new revolution. It's definitely not.

Bring on the real Myth 3. 😀

Reply 12 of 13, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

People who go to see a heavily over-marketed and merchandised franchise film should expect to be ripped off and disappointed - the hype is just too far from reality. Star Wars eps 1-3 are much better examples than yours of AVP which followed the Dark Horse comic pretty accurately and whose cast and crew were all pretty new on the block. Lucas, ILM, Williams and the writers - all the old regulars at Skywalker Ranch had almost no excuse in slaughtering their lovingly fan-supported brand and dumbing it down as they did. The rumour that Dicaprio dropped the offer to be Anakin after reading drafts of eps 1-3 pretty much ensured that Lucas was about to pull off the biggest swindle in cinema history...Yes I'm bitter about it 😀

However we have seen some fantastic cinema-nouveau with the likes of A Scanner Darkly, the Matrix and 21 Grams. Remember, it took almost 40 years before cinema fans got bored of silent film and the Buster Keaton/Keystone Cops era. FPS Computer Gaming, while being a huge money spinner, is still evolving and like cinema, like all expressions of life through art it will continue to produce product varying in quality and trends.

Reply 13 of 13, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dh4rm4 wrote:

People who go to see a heavily over-marketed and merchandised franchise film should expect to be ripped off and disappointed - the hype is just too far from reality. Star Wars eps 1-3 are much better examples...

Ah, i thought i'm the only person who thinks the new Star Wars films suck in comparison to the old ones... While the first Star Wars is still an experience to watch (even though Luke Skywalker is ugly as Hell), the last three ones are like watching a cheap TV series to me.

dh4rm4 wrote:

Remember, it took almost 40 years before cinema fans got bored of silent film and the Buster Keaton/Keystone Cops era.

Disagree. IMHO, technical advance was the reason that people got "bored" of silent movies - to be precise, i don't think people got bored of silent movies, but rather were excited about the then new technology of non-silent-movies (is there an english word for these?).

dh4rm4 wrote:

FPS Computer Gaming, while being a huge money spinner, is still evolving and like cinema, like all expressions of life through art it will continue to produce product varying in quality and trends.

Agree. There seems to be this "Popcorn" trend in a lot of media - Books, Comics, Movies, and now it's Games. As soon as the big money makers adopt the new technology or media, it goes downhill very quickly. From that point, the few "works of art" in the given media are overshadowed by an a**load of mediocre crap.

But, back to FPS's again, there's hope. Half Life 2 is still one of the major highlights of the genre IMHO, and the Orange Box (HL2, HL2 EP1+EP2, Portal, TF 2) is a new highlight. I'm drooling about the gameplay possibilities when the portal gun will be implemented in Half-Life (i think that's Valve's plan). Halo 3 could have been a landmark, too - but instead, it's just a mediocre game IMHO. That's the point i was trying to make - this game has so much potential. I feel betrayed.