VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 340 of 407, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2024-03-18, 14:10:

Tik-Tok……..I think Short clips are the Future of Retro computer channels.
People are busy and don’t have time to watch a documentary about a retro computer product.

There are some highly successful channels that do long-form documentary style content. Summoning Salt and Ahoy are two channels that come to mind.

While these aren't retro hardware per se, their content is retro / gaming themed.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 342 of 407, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

People are busy and don’t have time to watch a documentary about a retro computer product.

It isn't that people are too busy to watch longer videos. They will spend hours scrolling through stupid dances, dangerous challenges, and "life hacks" with no scientific backing (seriously, I've been called anti-science for trying to explain that leaving your refrigerator door open will not cool your house, even though I have a degree in physics). They have the time, although browsing social media is more of an addiction than something that they do in spare time (getting out their phone when the boss isn't looking or when they're driving to get a fix). (I'm leaving out the most common type of content I see on social media because we've already had a multi-page political thing.)

There's a Nonpoint song that comes to mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrUPAmfPMPQ

For me, YouTube is difficult to watch because of how broken everything is under Firefox. Videos randomly skip ahead, the buffer suddenly empties and then the video reloads 20 seconds back, or some videos won't even load at all. It's stuff that is supposed to happen to people who use ad blockers, but it happens in Firefox without an ad blocker. Chromium-based browsers work fine, even with an ad blocker. However, I'm too stubborn to switch to the most popular browser and accept a browser monopoly, even though I've run into other websites that don't work in Firefox (like Parts Express, which means that my bank account is safe).

Reply 343 of 407, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use SmartTube on my Nvidia Shield for YouTube. It makes it so much better. Ad block works great and it skips a lot of the advertising segments for you. Whenever I watch normal YouTube, the amount of ads comes as a shock.

Reply 344 of 407, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lti wrote on 2024-03-18, 18:58:

It isn't that people are too busy to watch longer videos. They will spend hours scrolling through stupid dances, dangerous challenges, and "life hacks" with no scientific backing (seriously, I've been called anti-science for trying to explain that leaving your refrigerator door open will not cool your house, even though I have a degree in physics). They have the time, although browsing social media is more of an addiction than something that they do in spare time (getting out their phone when the boss isn't looking or when they're driving to get a fix). (I'm leaving out the most common type of content I see on social media because we've already had a multi-page political thing.)

My number one self improvement goal is to reduce the amount of time that I spend online or at least make better use of it. I've quit all social media sites like Twitter and Reddit. I also rarely get into arguments online. If I ever feel the need to argue with someone, I ask myself if there's any point to it? Does the other person seem like they are open-minded and willing to argue in good faith? I even setup a firewall policy in my router to block my tablet in the evening. I still have work to do, but I really feel like I'm benefitting from this.

Reply 345 of 407, by Aui

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been called anti-science for trying to explain that leaving your refrigerator door open will not cool your house

well it potentially could, if you face the backside of the refridgerator towards an open window...

Reply 346 of 407, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

(seriously, I've been called anti-science for trying to explain that leaving your refrigerator door open will not cool your house, even though I have a degree in physics).

The trick is setting up a tent in the kitchen and cool that with the fridge, thus isolating the tent interior from the rest of the home where the fridge is exhausting it's heat into.

Reply 347 of 407, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It isn't that people are too busy to watch longer videos. They will spend hours scrolling through stupid dances, dangerous challenges, and "life hacks"

yes, time isn't the issue, perhaps concentration on one topic is for some people - but there are plenty of long form videos that go into great technical detail on fixing up vintage stuff that do get reasonable view numbers

very short clips are good for things like : how to do some puzzle in a game, how to do quick fixes/settings etc, quick show off of latest acquisitions and the like. some things just need a longer time

For me, YouTube is difficult to watch because of how broken everything is under Firefox. Videos randomly skip ahead, the buffer suddenly empties and then the video reloads 20 seconds back, or some videos won't even load at all.

i'd never had that issue with Firefox and youtube. Opera seems to work fine too, as another option

BitWrangler wrote on 2024-03-18, 15:16:

I also make heavy use of the "Wadsworth Constant" when it's a subject I am a bit familiar with.

i kind of wish that constant wasn't true, but it alarmingly is all too often 😀

Reply 348 of 407, by bobsmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-03-19, 00:59:

My number one self improvement goal is to reduce the amount of time that I spend online or at least make better use of it. I've quit all social media sites like Twitter and Reddit. I also rarely get into arguments online. If I ever feel the need to argue with someone, I ask myself if there's any point to it? Does the other person seem like they are open-minded and willing to argue in good faith? I even setup a firewall policy in my router to block my tablet in the evening. I still have work to do, but I really feel like I'm benefitting from this.

This is the reason I stopped using Hacker News. The people on that website are so incredibly hardheaded and use every chance to start turn a thread about whatever into a 19,543 entry political argument. I'm Gen Z (turning 16 this year) and I have never used any social media let alone even see the point of having a smartphone, both have poisoined my generation in a way.

Main PC : MSI PRO B650M-P Ryzen 5 7600, 32GB DDR5-5600, XFX RX 7600
P3 build : ASUS CUSL2-C, Pentium III @ 733MHz (Coppermine), Voodoo3 3000 AGP, 384 MB SDR-100, Audigy 2 ZS, Netgear GA311

Reply 349 of 407, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bobsmith wrote on 2024-03-19, 13:04:

This is the reason I stopped using Hacker News. The people on that website are so incredibly hardheaded and use every chance to start turn a thread about whatever into a 19,543 entry political argument. I'm Gen Z (turning 16 this year) and I have never used any social media let alone even see the point of having a smartphone, both have poisoined my generation in a way.

That's a great attitude to have. Social media and smart phones are addictive, so it's best to try to avoid them in the first place.

Reply 350 of 407, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bobsmith wrote on 2024-03-19, 13:04:

I knew not all of you were bad. =P

Reply 351 of 407, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-03-19, 15:56:

Social media and smart phones are addictive, so it's best to try to avoid them in the first place.

Does that include VOGONS? 😉

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 352 of 407, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-03-19, 19:31:

Social media and smart phones are addictive, so it's best to try to avoid them in the first place.

I learn stuff here and there's rarely any heated political or social arguments. I'm also not going to waste hours doom scrolling or wasting my time browsing for no reason. I'm not trying to avoid interacting with people over the Internet. I just want to limit my time online and stick to places that I can benefit from.

Reply 353 of 407, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-03-19, 19:38:

I learn stuff here and there's rarely any heated political or social arguments. I'm also not going to waste hours doom scrolling or wasting my time browsing for no reason. I'm not trying to avoid interacting with people over the Internet. I just want to limit my time online and stick to places that I can benefit from.

The difference between general social media and sites like VOGONS ,besides the audience, is that there is a focus to the discussions that occur here. I've always felt a focus is important for website interactions, it gives the users an expectation and a framework to behave within.

Reply 354 of 407, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on 2024-03-19, 19:42:

The difference between general social media and sites like VOGONS ,besides the audience, is that there is a focus to the discussions that occur here. I've always felt a focus is important for website interactions, it gives the users an expectation and a framework to behave within.

Exactly. I've been here for about a year and a half, and can't think of any big flamewars or heated arguments. Ironically, this thread was probably the most heated I've seen things get here. It's so much better for my mental health not having to deal with all of that drama.

Reply 355 of 407, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone watch Phil's latest video about SBEMU? It's bizarre. He reviews compatibility, but all the crashes he shows are clearly jemm/freedos crashes. Surely Phil knows that some games don't like jemm?

Reply 356 of 407, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-03-19, 21:20:

Exactly. I've been here for about a year and a half, and can't think of any big flamewars or heated arguments. Ironically, this thread was probably the most heated I've seen things get here. It's so much better for my mental health not having to deal with all of that drama.

We do our best.
Every day I visit I'm annoyed to see that a that a thread like this gets to 20 pages (Started in Jan) for fricking youtube videos, I guess it shows what is popular.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 357 of 407, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2024-03-23, 00:24:
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2024-03-19, 21:20:

We do our best.
Every day I visit I'm annoyed to see that a that a thread like this gets to 20 pages (Started in Jan) for fricking youtube videos, I guess it shows what is popular.

Well, I appreciate your work. I'm sure many others here do so as well.

Reply 358 of 407, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerry wrote on 2024-03-19, 13:02:

i'd never had that issue with Firefox and youtube. Opera seems to work fine too, as another option

It happens on almost every video for me, especially the problem with videos skipping forward randomly (and by a random amount - usually 10 seconds, but it can be anywhere from 2 to 15 seconds). Is it just me then?

Reply 359 of 407, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Fujoshi-hime wrote on 2024-03-19, 04:52:

(seriously, I've been called anti-science for trying to explain that leaving your refrigerator door open will not cool your house, even though I have a degree in physics).

The trick is setting up a tent in the kitchen and cool that with the fridge, thus isolating the tent interior from the rest of the home where the fridge is exhausting it's heat into.

Industrial and super high efficiency fridges have the option of ducting heat inside or outside depending on whether you are in heating season or not.

Said setup done correctly actually cools your house slightly during e the summer instead of heating it.

Being able to duct cold winter air over the refrigerator coils makes it cool much more efficiently in the winter as well (lol)