VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 24, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
johnvosh wrote on 2024-04-09, 01:05:

One thing I have found though, is the high number of misleading titles and descriptions. As in, the title does not match what is actually being sold.

What I have experienced several times is receiving vintage hardware, advertised as new old stock, but that turned out to be used after inspection. A large Polish ebay seller, also active with a German ebay account, is an expert in this scam. They may have almost 100% positive feedback, but if you actually take a look at their feedbacks, you will see a few negative feedbacks from buyers who have also noticed that. Majority of buyers unfortunately can't tell new old stock from used or just accept it the way it is, because they got the item that nobody else offers for sale.

Reply 21 of 24, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote on 2024-04-16, 21:18:

What I have experienced several times is receiving vintage hardware, advertised as new old stock, but that turned out to be used after inspection.

I'm always a bit suspicious of "new old stock" and more so when its listed with a box as opened but not used. In either case it might be used but otherwise in good enough condition to pass as unused on superficial inspection.

the ability for people to re-shrinkwrap things for instance, is well in advance of where things were 20 years ago - the equipment and guides are readily available

Reply 22 of 24, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see this all the time with chinese sellers and their chinese sites like aliexpress and such.

Made the search difficult, and another thing, aliexpress does not use exact terms no matter what you want even brand name, correct term words are not used, especially aliexpress's, and having to check every item by reading their specifications is getting old.

On ebay, this is bit better but not always.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 23 of 24, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2024-04-17, 22:08:
I see this all the time with chinese sellers and their chinese sites like aliexpress and such. […]
Show full quote

I see this all the time with chinese sellers and their chinese sites like aliexpress and such.

Made the search difficult, and another thing, aliexpress does not use exact terms no matter what you want even brand name, correct term words are not used, especially aliexpress's, and having to check every item by reading their specifications is getting old.

On ebay, this is bit better but not always.

Cheers,

Regarding AliExpress, I wouldn't call what they have a search engine. It is something different. 😄

Reply 24 of 24, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aliexpress has the most unuseable search feature I've ever experienced on a website.

When I look for a chip with the number ABC123 it displays chips with the number XYZ456 and a myriad of iPhone cases. How can you fuck something up so badly?

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"