VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 42, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

C first. Then object oriented languages after.

Also this won't teach you to be a developer.

That is something which encompasses a much wider skillset (problem solving, logic, technical documentation and many more) and is really only a skill that comes with time and practice.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 41 of 42, by llm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
and I am surprised to learn from you how prevalent C is. 

its absolutely depends on the area you're working in - can differ very much - there is no "this language is the best for everything" - you can't write a kernel with javascript but that doesnt mean that a C developer is able to write a kernel

example: Linux Kernel: ~30Mio Lines of code - mostly C

Glad I chose to learn this language instead of C++ or C#. 

Glad based on what? im doing C/C++ and C#, Python, Assembler, Javascript, .... - there is no winner - it depends what project you working on technically or what preferences the team got

you're questions are many times to broad and you always seem to hope for a simple answer - both is not possible - software development is a huge area with hundreds of standards, tools, etc.

Reply 42 of 42, by serialShinobi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
llm wrote on 2024-04-26, 08:56:

Glad based on what? im doing C/C++ and C#, Python, Assembler, Javascript, .... - there is no winner - it depends what project you working on technically or what preferences the team got

you're questions are many times to broad and you always seem to hope for a simple answer - both is not possible - software development is a huge area with hundreds of standards, tools, etc.

C has less overhead than JavaScript, one example, tying it in with the hardware picture. This is an example of a programming goal. Then if programming goals rein supreme and the language used does not, I have a hunch that hardware focused programming is actually more prevalent then script/API focused programming. This is because the API that the script interacts with is run on hardware. It really is not the other way around. It's like I'm suggesting that the hardware market is larger than the software market. It is.