VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone 😀

So I bought a dead P5A. It does not turn on the PSU.
Only thing I found is that the power switch pins on the board does not have 5V.
Where do I start 😜

Reply 1 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah the classic mysteriously dead Asus challenge... fresh battery, check it hasn't been set for keyboard, USB, modem or LAN wakeup, then go on to make sure the mosfets are mosfetting the vreg is voltage regulating, and so on...

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

should be the standby power 5V, but, it could be disabled by KB/USB/LAN etc power up jumpers.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 6, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skalabala wrote on 2024-05-04, 16:20:

I need to figure out where the power btn get its 5V from.

Some schematics here
Acer V58 diagnosis

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 5 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A new twist in the mysteriously dead Asus phenomena, dead RTC crystal Re: What retro activity did you get up to today? different board, but since a lot of Asus of the era share the same persnickety-ness about needing a fresh battery to come alive, then they may well share the dead clock issue.