VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 60 of 112, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@zyzzle For those of us who deal with seasonal hot and humid weather, a 200W monitor is not something I would want to have running when my AC can already barely keep up, regardless of energy costs.

Reply 61 of 112, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm just weird on this. If it's a a vintage computer, and it's something i can have control of, I usually go for the highest readable resolution I can manage, so long as the performance isn't totally destroyed. If it's vintage media, I usually go for the highest quality I can manage if it's something I want to have. At the same time, I can also enjoy watching something on a provably worse format. Sure, I'm a stickler for things like the no DNR 4k77 release, but I've also watched more than a handful of films on laserdisc in the past few years. If anything, obvious compression artifacts get to me more than anything else. I'll take obvious composite honeycombing on an old wrestling pay-per-view without complaining, but I can't stand blocky and blurry video if I know there's a better source available.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 62 of 112, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BetaC wrote on 2024-05-14, 05:15:

I'm just weird on this. If it's a a vintage computer, and it's something i can have control of, I usually go for the highest readable resolution I can manage, so long as the performance isn't totally destroyed. If it's vintage media, I usually go for the highest quality I can manage if it's something I want to have. At the same time, I can also enjoy watching something on a provably worse format. Sure, I'm a stickler for things like the no DNR 4k77 release, but I've also watched more than a handful of films on laserdisc in the past few years. If anything, obvious compression artifacts get to me more than anything else. I'll take obvious composite honeycombing on an old wrestling pay-per-view without complaining, but I can't stand blocky and blurry video if I know there's a better source available.

I am pretty much on the same page, I believe . Overcompression, oversharpening and excessive DNR really kill it for me .

Reply 63 of 112, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2024-05-14, 05:21:
BetaC wrote on 2024-05-14, 05:15:

I am pretty much on the same page, I believe . Overcompression, oversharpening and excessive DNR really kill it for me .

It's part of the reason I really hate how modern PC games are being made. I shouldn't have to use a sharpening filter or run at a lower resolution with upscaling in order to get a native picture with antialiasing. I've also been playing games too long, since I can remember having options for AA.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 64 of 112, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BetaC wrote on 2024-05-14, 05:47:

It's part of the reason I really hate how modern PC games are being made. I shouldn't have to use a sharpening filter or run at a lower resolution with upscaling in order to get a native picture with antialiasing. I've also been playing games too long, since I can remember having options for AA.

Agreed, and this affects consoles too.

Relevant Digital Foundry clip: Are Current-Gen Console Game Resolutions Simply Too Low?

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 65 of 112, by revolstar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dunno how popular the Nostalgia Nerd is around these here parts, but he has just posted a video titled Why did we Abandon 4:3?

Win98 rig: Athlon XP 2500+/512MB RAM/Gigabyte GA-7VT600/SB Live!/GF FX5700/Voodoo2 12MB
WinXP rig: HP RP5800 - Pentium G850/2GB RAM/GF GT530 1GB
Amiga: A600/2MB RAM
PS3: 500GB HDD Slim, mostly for RetroArch, PSX & PS2 games

Reply 66 of 112, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zyzzle wrote on 2024-05-14, 01:25:

My biggest pet peeve with screen resolution in the computer realm is that EVERYTHING is now 16:9 ratio. That's fine for movies, but for me it's very bad for computer stuff. I grew up on 4:3 from the '70s - the 2000s.

Yes i'd like a choice, 'widescreen' works well enough for a lot of work and games but i'd still like 4:3. some have two monitor setups with two widescreens but one is placed on its 'side' to make reading things easier

Reply 67 of 112, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
revolstar wrote on 2024-05-14, 07:07:

Dunno how popular the Nostalgia Nerd is around these here parts, but he has just posted a video titled Why did we Abandon 4:3?

I've always enjoyed his content, but kind of forgot about him as he doesn't seem to upload as much these days.

Reply 68 of 112, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very interesting background there. Good video.

I would argue that from a practical POV - the 4:3 vs 16:9 (or wider) argument may have mattered during the early days of 16:9, but not anymore. With a large enough screen and a high enough resolution, you can take any widescreen monitor, have it displayed a centered 4:3 image, and still enjoy higher resolution and a physically larger picture than you would during the era of the last 4:3 screens. The reverse argument does not hold, because 4:3 screens that can display centered 16:9 would be way too tall.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 69 of 112, by revolstar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On a side note, I hate it when modern-ish 16:9 TVs insert ugly GREY bars instead of black bars for displaying 4:3 content.

Win98 rig: Athlon XP 2500+/512MB RAM/Gigabyte GA-7VT600/SB Live!/GF FX5700/Voodoo2 12MB
WinXP rig: HP RP5800 - Pentium G850/2GB RAM/GF GT530 1GB
Amiga: A600/2MB RAM
PS3: 500GB HDD Slim, mostly for RetroArch, PSX & PS2 games

Reply 70 of 112, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
revolstar wrote on 2024-05-14, 08:56:

On a side note, I hate it when modern-ish 16:9 TVs insert ugly GREY bars instead of black bars for displaying 4:3 content.

Or when games or apps force novelty bezels with artwork to fill out the aspect ratio, or stretching the image for that matter. Don't get people's issue with black bars when letter- or pillarboxing, I don't even notice them, but I guess it's a Cilantro situation.

Reply 71 of 112, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

65-inch OLED LG-C3 TV is only $1599 Now at Costco.
I purchased my year 2020 model 65-inch TV years ago for $599 but NOW I want OLED and the Price is Right.

I think these LG-C3 OLED TVs are the Best deal right NOW for TV and 42-inch Monitors
And If I was going to buy a NEW TV or Monitor today I would NOT consider anything else as these are pretty inexpensive today.
And the Picture quality is unsurpassed.

Attachments

• IMG_1483.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_1483.jpeg
    File size
    272.92 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 72 of 112, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On plasma TVs, the grey letterbox & pillarbox bars could help minimize burn-in if you were a movie buff.
It doesn't surprise me that some modern TVs (well, OLEDs) do that too. Though, it should just be an on/off toggle in the settings menu; at least, that's how it worked on my plasma.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 73 of 112, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2024-05-14, 17:06:

On plasma TVs, the grey letterbox & pillarbox bars could help minimize burn-in if you were a movie buff.
It doesn't surprise me that some modern TVs (well, OLEDs) do that too. Though, it should just be an on/off toggle in the settings menu; at least, that's how it worked on my plasma.

We had a plasma TV but it went Bad. The Display went bad and the video controller board went bad too. I tried to fix it with a NEW video controller board but that did not work it was too far gone to fix. The Capacitors on the main logic board went bad too.
So I was Happy to see it go because it use to run VERY HOT too. Especially in the summer it would Heat up the room like a Heater.
I think that is why it went bad from Over heating.

Reply 74 of 112, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OLED burns. I use my TVs as monitors. So not any hurry to migrate.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 75 of 112, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2024-05-14, 08:51:

Very interesting background there. Good video.
The reverse argument does not hold, because 4:3 screens that can display centered 16:9 would be way too tall.

Being someone with limited space my tv is 42” because that fits, my monitor/tv combo is 22” on the desk
Because that fits.

I have never had a problem with vertical real estate, honestly could have a large set if I used it in tate mode.

So 4:3 would allow me personally to use a larger set, would be sort of fun having a convertible tv like I do monitors for certain games that work best in tate mode.

Sadly most generic content providers don’t allow any creative user guided or AI guided ways of viewing video on non-traditional full size screens like they do for cell. Having more control of zoom, distort, crop etc would be a nice touch even in normal sets since many times 4:3 content is totally botched by streamers in how it crops and stretches content. (Aka content that doesn’t fit the screen should always send the full frame and let the user decide exactly how they want that displayed instead of modifying it)

Reply 76 of 112, by Dothan Burger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll never look at an OLED TV or monitor again after the QD-OLED Alienware I owned that gave me massive migraines. I would feel this pressure behind my eyes that made me so sick I would throw up the next day. I thought I was getting sick and developing health issues but as soon as I switched back to an LCD for desktop use, I felt better immediately.

Been a fan of OLED ever since my first Galaxy S and couldn't wait to get a desktop OLED monitor. I wish It didn't go down like that but now I only like LCDs, CRTs and Plasmas.

Reply 78 of 112, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OLED is inferior to local dimming on LCDs. OLED brightness cant reach the levels required for true HDR. OLED will be gone just like plasma, its an interim solution.

Reply 79 of 112, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shagittarius wrote on 2024-05-14, 23:12:

OLED is inferior to local dimming on LCDs. OLED brightness cant reach the levels required for true HDR. OLED will be gone just like plasma, its an interim solution.

Yeah, TV’s are only good for about 3-to-5 years Max before they become out-dated.
I think the BIG reason to buy a NEW TV is a Faster processor.

The Processor in my 2020 TV is Too SLOW.

The NEW LG-C4 OLED TV can adjust dimming levels.