User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I currently use -

Game Wizard (for DOS)
Universal Game Editor (for DOS)

Are there any others I may have missed?

Also, are there any (good) cheat utilities specifically aimed at the Win9x platform?

Thanks, regards, Robert.

PS - please don't include any illegal download links to any software. Thanks.

Reply 1 of 11, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In the old days I used to use a version of Norton Utilities that comes with a hex editor. Today, I found XVI32 most convenient for my cheating purposes.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 11, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hex editors are an important weapon in the cheaters' armory!

I am interested in something like this -

A hex editor that allowed you to compare two save files, so that you could spot any differences between the two.

Reason/example -

You have 10 pieces of gold. You save your game.
You drop 1 piece of gold. You save your game.

You then compare the two save files to see where the differences are - because the differences are likely to be where the gold values of 10 and 9 are being stored.

If anyone can recommend a good hex file editor with comparison features, for legal sale or freeware download, please mention it here.

Thanks.

Reply 3 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I only know one that you have to pay for. but it works for free for a month or so.
with some tools you can make your own stuff. but it's not as pretty as that pay one.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 11, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, ultra edit is an awesome editor too, I have used to edit some save files earlier with it. And it worked like one of the most easiest hexeditors ever. But Notepad++ http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

is a smashing great editor too, and it is free.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/notepad-plus/

Reply 8 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I am an old-fashioned nutt-head. I use a little program called 'vd' (part of Cygwin). It is like 'od' (octal dump) on steroids. It will dump anything as a text file, formatted as list of bytes, words, whatever. For editing, you load the text file into your favourite editor, fixes what needs to be fixed, save the text file, and finally convert it back into binary with 'vd'.

And Unix/Cygwin comes with a load of tools for text-diffing....

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 9 of 11, by lightmaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lightspeed Cheat Editor by Lightspeed & Barbarus Illuminatus, Game Wizard, etc.

Last edited by lightmaster on 2016-09-30, 16:23. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 11 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

I used to use a program simply called Cheat!,

You mean Mike Zier's "The Cheat Machine" ? Yah, that was pretty cool, but it was really just a simple text database.

I think you might still be able to find "The Infinity Machine" (or was it "The Infinity Engine" ?) somewhere on this very board. No relation, mind you.