VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sure would beat the snot out (in a different way) of the old days of hand painted backgrounds used in games like Kings Quest

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 1 of 7, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heaps of modern RPGs use modern engines. Troika's vampire : Bloodlines used the Source (HL2) engine. There are even far more recent games that use newer engines such TES : Oblivion, STALKER and so on.

Reply 2 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

i think its funny all these games on modern engines totally lack the depth and atmosphere the 'inferior' games have. Maybe i'm getting old and not being fooled by bloom, shiny water, ragdool and hdr being touted as 'game features'.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 7, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you're right. I'm getting old too and one of my favourite games of all time, Parallax, looks like arse compared with modern shooters but has bigger maps and more inventive 'gameplay' than Half Life 2. That said, Crysis is a measurable achievement in graphics.

Reply 4 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I agree with Leileilol too. I have preordered Fallout 3. Let's see what Bethesda has done.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 7, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey, nothing compares with the story and the immersion of Lands of Lore and Betrayal at Krondor! Best RPG's I ever played.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 6 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lands of Lore is cool aside from the fact that is too linear. Well, I enjoyed both Eye of the beholder 1 and 2 (which are linear too).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 7 of 7, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I have enjoyed a lot of the old SSI (now called Gold Box) Games such as Pools Of Darkness , Tresures of the Save Frontier, Gateway to the Savage Frontier and so on and so forth.