VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Folks,

I seem to be having a problem with the "Embed" tag in several of my web pages when viewed in the Internet Explorer v6.0. The following seems to work just fine:

<embed src="music.mp3">
<embed src="music.mid">

...and displays a little Windows Media Player box within the web page.

This doesn't work at all (no sound is played):

<embed src="sound.wav">

...and simply displays a little square (sort of an empty 'broken image URL' type of thing) where the WMP should be.

This on my PC running Windows XP with SP2.

On my mother's and father's PCs (both running Windows XP with SP3), it works fine in MSIE. I forget offhand what version of MSIE the have on their PCs, but I think it's v6.0 as well.

Here is a prime example -> http://www.cmoo.com/snor/weeds/Star_Trek/Star … ement_Rites.htm . The MIDI music plays, but not the WAV file (with a 'broken image' box where the WMP box should be displayed).

Any idea as to why MIDI and MP3 files play properly, but a no-go with WAV files? This is driving me nutz <G>!

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 1 of 3, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. <embed> is not a valid HTML element. The only reason it works at all is for compatibility with Netscape 4.
2. Internet Explorer 6? Dude, it’s 2010, that browser is older than the original Xbox. Upgrade already.
3. Don’t post uncompressed audio.
4. Don’t post audio that auto-plays anywhere, at all, ever.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 3, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote:

1. <embed> is not a valid HTML element. The only reason it works at all is for compatibility with Netscape 4.

This I realize (as the original page was created back when I was running NS v3.(something). But, why does it work on two PCs (that have the same OS and setup, except for having SP3 installed on them), but not the other?

Snover wrote:

2. Internet Explorer 6? Dude, it’s 2010, that browser is older than the original Xbox. Upgrade already.

I don't normally use the M$ Internet "Arse Dragger" (as I like to call it <G>), hence am not worried about upgrading it. Not to mention, I'm, pretty slow when it comes to upgrades in the first place (WFWG311 -> W98SE = 2000; W98SE -> WXPPro = 2009) <LOL>. BTW, the pages in question worked fine under MSIE v6.0 on my previous W98SE PC.

Snover wrote:

3. Don’t post uncompressed audio.

Like I said, these pages were created some time ago... well before the browser and/or MCI could handle MP3 files (or for that matter, any other format than WAV). Plus, the WAVs in question are quite small (low-quality, 8-bit, etc...).

Snover wrote:

4. Don’t post audio that auto-plays anywhere, at all, ever.

Similar to the link I posted, that's the main purpose of the page(s), the sound is there for effect to 'enhance' the pages in question.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 3 of 3, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rfnagel wrote:

This I realize (as the original page was created back when I was running NS v3.(something). But, why does it work on two PCs (that have the same OS and setup, except for having SP3 installed on them), but not the other?

The better question is “why does it work at all?” The answer, of course, is that it doesn’t, and you shouldn’t expect it to. That said, service packs do contain, you know, changes and fixes, so maybe there was a change in SP3 that made it work.

rfnagel wrote:

I don't normally use the M$ Internet "Arse Dragger" (as I like to call it <G>), hence am not worried about upgrading it.

You should still worry. Any applications that use the IE COM object are still open to exploit from bugs in the old versions, even if you don’t use Internet Explorer itself.

rfnagel wrote:

Similar to the link I posted, that's the main purpose of the page(s), the sound is there for effect to 'enhance' the pages in question.

What if someone wants to listen to them not now, but later? What if someone opens multiple different pages at once in different tabs so that they can go through them at once? What if someone clicks on one by accident? What if someone has their speakers turned way up and doesn’t expect your page to suddenly start playing loud music? It’s an extremely user hostile action; you should not do it.

Yes, it’s my fault.