VOGONS

Common searches

Myst!!

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 53, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Huh, so you've finished all of the MYST games? Ok, I have a question for you.

How in the world did you do the damned marble puzzle in RIVEN? You know, the one where you have place the orange, purple, green, blue, etc. marbles into the grid, then pull the lever to activate the fire marble domes?

I can't figure out the 3d hologram for crap!! You know, the one with the water islands? I was able to solve three of the five puzzles, but the other two have given me nothing but grief!

I put the game away, and moved on to SCHIZM. Talk about a tough game!! SCHIZM is not for the faint of heart!! If you're feeling adventurous, (and I'm sure you are!) pop SCHIZM into your computer, and give it a try.

As for NEVERHOOD, I have never heard of it. Hah-ha. If I can get it for cheap, maybe I'll give it a try. For now, I'm playing TRAITOR'S GATE and PHAROH'S CURSE. Oh, and of course, my continuing game of AXIS AND ALLIES.

dud:)

...in that quiet earth"

Reply 41 of 53, by renwings

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, the Marble puzzle sucked. The people who sit around and think these things up are really good at what they do!
Which 3 have you solved? Once you know what you are looking for, it is easy! I started with the 3D image of the island that I was on. THe images don't show any of the building except the dome. The only island that it is really hard on is the Workshop Island (the one with the boiler). But if you go to where the fire marble dome is and then look up, you will see the BIG CLUE. That is the one that got me stuck. Did you notice the 5x5 grid on the puzzle and on the holograms? Have you found the color that coordinates with each dome on each island? The hard part is looking, really.
It's best to step away for a while and think about it, I think if you went back and weren't so frustrated, it might dawn on you.

Neverhood is just silly-fun, the puzzles really aren't too hard, though there are a couple doozies. It's all claymation.

MAC doesn't thing doesn't work. Okay, I know that you can install win98 and win3.1 and run them over each other, can you do that with winME? It works on my laptop, but my laptop doesn't have a CDROM, yes I am terribley behind the times. I'm getting desperate here!

Reply 42 of 53, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I love the Neverhood 😄

Um, get realMYST. You'll thank yourself. It's sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo(ooo) much better. And...just...droolworthy.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 44 of 53, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by renwings MAC doesn't thing doesn't work.

Unless you have a Mac-specific version, I wouldn't expect it to. AFAIK, there weren't any "hybrid" MYST CD's available.

Okay, I know that you can install win98 and win3.1 and run them over each other,

*gak*
What do you mean by "over each other"? You can swap between the two with some hacking but I wouldn't advise it.

...can you do that with winME?

Same thing, possible, but not advisable. It's likely that you would still have problems even if you were to reformat your PC and just use DOS+Win31. That's part of the reason they re-released it as a more compatible version.

It works on my laptop, but my laptop doesn't have a CDROM,

*blinks*
That sentence makes no sense to me. Do you mean to say that Win31 runs on your laptop?

Reply 45 of 53, by renwings

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HEHE!
I love the way you pick apart my post!
Yeah, I realized that I couldn't use the MAC until AFTER I had posted. 🙄
On my fossil of a laptop which cost me $60 ($10 for stickers, cause I'm a girl and it has to be cute) win31 and win98 and both and installed and I can move back and forth between the two via DOS. It boots up to win98. Maybe "over each" was a bad choice of words. I had a thought that maybe I similiar situation was possible with winME. I have no idea what kind of a laptop it is, I just use it for writing and playing mindless solitaire ANWHERE in the house. The computer room is always cold (a man lives in there) and I hate to be cold!

BUT I HAVE GOOD NEWS! I solved the problem. 😁
I was staring at the computer feeling very irritated , when it suddenly occured to me, Quicktime was working JUST FINE when Myst wasn't running, but if I had Myst even minimized in the toolbar, Quicktime wouldn't work. Mind you, this IS the version that came off the CD. So I popped Myst in the drive without actually bringing the game up so I could just look AT THE FILES! Quicktime will read the .mov files from the game, but NOT when the game is running. I just have no idea why. So I just watched the little movies! It wasn't the same, but I feel better. I finished my game, I am done, I have peace.

Reply 47 of 53, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by renwings HEHE!
I love the way you pick apart my post!

That is an...interesting response. *pause*
In any case, my objective is to respond to your post on a point-by-point basis. It's usually easier to understand works more like a "real" conversation that way.

On my fossil of a laptop which cost me ( for stickers,

for stickers? What, some kind of gold-laced or holographic-illusion things?

...cause I'm a girl and it has to be cute)

*multitudes of angry "don't like cute things" girls attempt to home in on renwings location*

I had a thought that maybe I similiar situation was possible with winME.

It is, but it can be something of a hassle.

I have no idea what kind of a laptop it is,

If you ever need to know the specifications you can always run AIDA32 on it, as it will gather the information together for you.

The computer room is always cold (a man lives in there)...

What? Some ice-guy moved in and you don't know his name? What kind of place are you living in?

Quicktime will read the .mov files from the game, but NOT when the game is running. I just have no idea why. So I just watched the little movies! It wasn't the same, but I feel better. I finished my game, I am done, I have peace.

Sounds more like you just ruined the game for yourself.

Reply 48 of 53, by renwings

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think what you are trying to tell me is that I am not very concise! It actually made me laugh (hence the HEHE) because its very true!

*multitudes of angry "don't like cute things" girls attempt to home in on renwings location*

or YOU could say, cause I'm a guy and there had better not be anything PINK on it ( I don't like pink either, I can say that I have never willingly wore it). Unless your my ex-boyfriend who likes Martha Stewart, It's safer to assume that most males don't like pink.
I'm not sure if it was especially wise to start THIS discussion. It's a bunch of tropical reef stickers, like those fish tank screen savers, just low tech! Honestly, the only girl I have ever met (and I have lived in 4 states) in my life that didn't TRULLY like cute things was me and that's just because it was all a front I was trying to put up so I felt progessive. How many females do you know that don't like to decorate and PERSONALIZE stuff?!

What? Some ice-guy moved in and you don't know his name? What kind of place are you living in?

I think I mentioned above that I am married. I guess you coould say that he just moved in and I have no idea where he came from (I will clarify that later too, if you like!), it begins to feel like that after a while! I am referring to the whole male-female thing where girls are always cold . . . I'm always to cold and he's always too hot . . . and so HIS room, the computer room, is always cold . . . so he's comfortable in his own room.
😉

I didn't ruin the game for myself! I had already gotten as far as I could! I gathered all my pages and entered the vault where the D'ni linking book is then stopped. I watched APAGE5.MOV and SPAGE5.MOV then, ATRUSBK1.MOV. I had seen all 3 before, just minus sound! My method added the sound so I knew what i needed to do next. There wasn't a whole lot left to do, but it was still THE END. It just didn't feel the same because I wasn't hearing the sound IN the game! Come on! Tell me it was brilliant! I never saw you suggesting it, Mr. AIDA32-pants.

Reply 49 of 53, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I was staring at the computer feeling very irritated , when it suddenly occured to me, Quicktime was working JUST FINE when Myst wasn't running, but if I had Myst even minimized in the toolbar, Quicktime wouldn't work. Mind you, this IS the version that came off the CD. So I popped Myst in the drive without actually bringing the game up so I could just look AT THE FILES! Quicktime will read the .mov files from the game, but NOT when the game is running. I just have no idea why. So I just watched the little movies! It wasn't the same, but I feel better. I finished my game, I am done, I have peace.

Hmm, something I noticed ages ago when I was still running Windows 95 and always had to run the latest driver for everything. Old games or Multimedia somethings based on Quicktime did not like certain newer versions of Quicktime. There seems to have crept in some incompatibilities into the Quicktime code in regard to old QT stuff.
I figured some way out to actually make it work back then but right now I can't even remember the QT version it broke. I suspect it was the first 32-Bit version that broke it, though (the installer called sth like qtime32.exe or something like that).
Possible way to fix could be deinstalling *every* quicktime version on the OS and then installing the one from the game CD. The problem with the deinstalling could also be lingering left-over files from the other installations that are newer and not getting overwritten by the installer.
Well, maybe my poor brain will remember. I only know that it was very frustrating but I somehow did it...

Reply 50 of 53, by renwings

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well, I solved the problem and finished the game in my own roundabout way. So its no big deal now anyway. Except SOMEONE doesn't approve of my methods (I'm just teasing).
I tried installing stuff, reinstalling stuff, I even uninstalled and deleted remantent files from ALL the games we weren't playing. I guess some kids just don't play well together.
QT 32 was on our computer at one time, but it was one of the strays that I deleted.
I know that it is some weird thing, it may just be winME. My friend has winXP she has had no problems with the same MystMasterpiece that I have. Stupid Microsoft.
If the solution that has escaped your mind is too complex and involves messing around with CODE, no thank you. If I hurt this computer, you can kiss my skinny butt goodbye. My husband has two wifes and one has a hard drive.

Reply 51 of 53, by dud716

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Uh, what's going on in here? Sounds like a hen party:)

As for the RIVEN marbles....I lied.

I figured out TWO marbles; the ORANGE and the GREEN. I had to scrounge for my paperwork, and I realized that I stopped at the marble puzzle. That's why I have only two marbles, (in addition to the several loose ones rolling around inside my head).

I'm going to install RIVEN again, and give it another try; I'm curious to see what I find, (even more curious to see what I remember!!).

carry on.....

dud

PS....

Take a peak at the SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS for the new MYST adventure:

Uru: Ages Beyond Myst :

System Requirements:
Supported OS: Windows® 98SE/ME/2000/XP (only)

Processor: Intel® Pentium® III 800 MHz or AMD Athlon" (Pentium IV or Athlon 2 GHz or greater recommended)

Video Card: 3D graphics video card w/ 32 MB, hardware transformation, and lighting (3D graphics video card w/ 64 MB, pixel and vertex-shader capability)

Sound Card: DirectX® 8.1-compatible sound card (DirectX® 8.1-compatible EAX 3.0 recommended)

CD-ROM Drive: 4X CD-ROM drive or faster (Not recommended for use with CD-RWs)

Monitor: 800x600 resolution, 16 bit color monitor (1280x1024 resolution recommended)

Hard Drive Space: 2 GB (4 GB recommended)

Peripherals Supported: 101-key standard keyboard; two-button mouse

Internet Connection: Not required (ADSL/Cable modem recommended)

http://store.ubi.com/item.jsp?item=URUPREORDER

Ha ha ha ha ha....I guess I'm out of the loop....silly wabbit

Last edited by dud716 on 2003-09-21, 19:27. Edited 1 time in total.

...in that quiet earth"

Reply 52 of 53, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have attached QuickTime 2 to this post. Extract the system\ folder to Myst's directory and try running it.

Attachments

• Filename
    quicktime 2.0.rar
    File size
    976.31 KiB
    Downloads
    183 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 53 of 53, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by renwings It's safer to assume that most males don't like pink.

I should avoid these generalizations, but I can safely say I'm not terribly fond of pink. Pink makes me think of "Pepto Bismol" which is taken for a badly upset stomach. So, basically, I equate Pink with Nausea.

I'm not sure if it was especially wise to start THIS discussion.

A risk you take in every conversation with humans. Which is why a conversation with a dog is much easier and safer. You could also have one with a cat if you don't mind it when they walk away because you are boring them.

Honestly, the only girl I have ever met (and I have lived in 4 states) in my life that didn't TRULLY like cute things was me and that's just because it was all a front I was trying to put up so I felt progessive.

That's probably a good thing...otherwise all the guys in the world would probably gather up all the "cute things" and toss them into a huge bonfire.

I think I mentioned above that I am married.

Probably missed that as I've been playing catch-up on messages for over a week now. Missing the details...

I guess you coould say that he just moved in and I have no idea where he came from (I will clarify that later too, if you like!),

..ok... I'm getting the feeling I should stop asking questions.

it begins to feel like that after a while! I am referring to the whole male-female thing where girls are always cold . . . I'm always to cold and he's always too hot . . .

Guess I missed that class in Biology.

I didn't ruin the game for myself! I had already gotten as far as I could!

...to the end?

I had seen all 3 before, just minus sound!

Ok, well that's different then...

Tell me it was brilliant! I never saw you suggesting it, Mr. AIDA32-pants.

Nope. I'll settle for "clever". Deal?