VOGONS

Reply 80 of 276, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember Sin got lots of bad reviews at the time because it was rushed out unfinished for a christmas release. Plus half-life was just around the corner so that might have had something to do with it too.

Personally I reckon Duke was a better game than Quake because it had a protaganist with a bit of character which was pretty new to the genre at the time... plus you had imaginative, varied locations like duke burger, the prison, spaceship etc and cool weapons like shrink and freeze ray, pipe bomb, trip wire etc.... whereas you'd be hard pressed to tell one quake level from another in many cases, and all the weapons were pretty much just basic projectile weapons, variations of what you had in doom. Grenade launcher and lightning gun were cool though 😀

Yes Duke had boobs and swearing and that was pretty cool to a pubescent male, but on the whole I think it was a more enjoyable game even without those elements.
My avatar may indicate some level of bias 😀 I was playing duke 1 and 2 before 3d realms ever existed so take that as you will.

In Australia duke 3D was sold with adult mode permanently disabled, and at that time the internet was still fairly uncommon in most households (even dialup) so it was difficult to get the crack, luckily I managed to get a copy from our local sneakernet. (i.e. local computer repair dude, you'd send your computer to him and it would come back with 4 or 5 new full version games on it...)

Blood was a cool game too, I especially liked the train/carnival levels, imho its pretty underrated, blood 2 kinda sucked though 😒

Reply 81 of 276, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Blood was a fav indeed. I played a lot of Dark Forces, Heretic, Hexen and Blood back then. Then a few years later we had Unreal, Half Life and Jedi Knight. Talk about rapid progress. Unreal is by far my favorite '90s shooter because it's so otherworldly (and the development story is unreal too). 😀

I'll probably pick up DNF if it gets good comments from people I know are >15 years old. 😁

Reply 82 of 276, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Hexen and Blood for me too. At least if DNF is really forever unseen.

Reply 83 of 276, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:
swaaye wrote:

Yup, teenagers were enthralled. I was there.

Yeah I'd imagine Heretic wasn't a relative success among them considering you lift up heavy doors with chesty men on them which almost appears like you tried to reveal his loincloth.

You'd expect Sin to carry the same success in 1998 among the teenagers... but NO! SOUTH PARK FPS GAME!!!! HOLY CRAP THEY SWEAR!!!!!! ON MY NINTENDO 64!!!! "IM GONNA SHOW YOU HOW TO KICK ASS!!!!!!!"

Well yeah, now that you meniton it, there was a bit of cleavage in the game. It's still a terrible metric for how good a game is though 😜

SIN EP 1 was pretty awesome. They should have incorporated that paper towel dispenser into the first SIN and it would have been able to compete with the microwave and the vending machines in half life 1 (and for goodness sake, they put port-a-John's in SIN EP 1, but a grenade didn't knock them over in the [source engine]). Oh man, remember the guy in HL1 that wouldn't get off the can? Seriously I went away to get something to eat and he was still there like 30 minutes later. So inconsiderate!

Quake was so non interactive though. All shooting and no extras. I agree that's what Duke was about.

Reply 84 of 276, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I liked Sin Ep1 too. It's too bad that the company imploded, apparently regardless of whether the game was a success. 🙁

Reply 85 of 276, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

June 10 2011 :

1. It's officially confirmed : "We are not alone".
2. First ever report of a pig flying being seen.
3. Duke Nukem Forever is released.

It's ironic. Instead of feeling happy for DNF release, I feel sad. I mean, it's actually gonna be released? Are we gonne be let-down by the game which held the "King of Vapourware" title all this while?

Now I've seen everything....*click*

Dang! No bullet. 🤣

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 86 of 276, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

By this time they could have released several DN games based on the engines they chose and discarded. Personally I would rather have that, just helps with sentimental value.

Hmm, earthquakes, Osama Bin Laden being identified and killed, Duke Nukem Forever being released in June, and the Lakers being swept in the playoffs. What next, aliens are gonna invade?

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 89 of 276, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:
June 10 2011 : […]
Show full quote

June 10 2011 :

1. It's officially confirmed : "We are not alone".
2. First ever report of a pig flying being seen.
3. Duke Nukem Forever is released.

It's ironic. Instead of feeling happy for DNF release, I feel sad. I mean, it's actually gonna be released? Are we gonne be let-down by the game which held the "King of Vapourware" title all this while?

Now I've seen everything....*click*

Dang! No bullet. 🤣

That's my feeling. It's going to be like...I waited 14 years for THIS???? It doesn't matter how good it is, it will never meet my expectations. My expectations are pretty high after a 2 year wait, after 14 they will be completely unattainable.

Reply 90 of 276, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I'll still get it though 😁

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 92 of 276, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Totally 😀 Looking forward to the BoS edition too! More stuff to find a home form!

Reply 93 of 276, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm looking forward to a mid-June announcement that DNF's release has been pushed back yet again. Until the game is actually on the shelves of local stores, I'll continue with my stance Duke Nukem Forever is nothing more than an elaborate troll.

Reply 94 of 276, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yea your right. they paid "DIGITAL ANVIL" to render 'ingame' footage for their flash game in a box!!!!!!!!! 3d realms also dont existses anymore either.
its all a sham!!!!! duke forever is a fack

Reply 95 of 276, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sigh....and they've already missed the "April 1st" launch! 🤣

I'll just let whomever wanted to buy it so badly, to review the games for me. The pizza is WAY too cold for me to enjoy it. It doesn't matter what toppings were on it. It's just not hot anymore. Heck, it's not even warm! It's too cold. 🤣

The only thing I like DNF is the "Vapourware" status, and that too is gonna end if it get's released on June 10th, that is.

For me, the franchise is not so important as the quality of individual product. King's Quest VIII, post Fate of Atlantis Indy games, and even Escape from Monkey Island all do not have the qualities the predecessors have set. For example, I love The Secret of Monkey Island and Le Chuck's revenge, but when I reached the ending in Curse of Monkey Island with it's extremely abrupt ending, I started losing interest in Monkey Island 4. I still love Monkey Island 1 and 2 but I will think twice or thrice before deciding to buy another Monkey Island game, if any.

As I said, the pizza is way too cold! 😉

(reheating it won't help! 😜)

Reply 96 of 276, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love cold pizza, it goes so well with my warm beer too 😜

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 97 of 276, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BigBodZod wrote:

I love cold pizza, it goes so well with my warm beer too 😜

🤣

Reply 98 of 276, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The breakfast of champions.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 99 of 276, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malik wrote:
Sigh....and they've already missed the "April 1st" launch! :lol: […]
Show full quote

Sigh....and they've already missed the "April 1st" launch! 🤣

I'll just let whomever wanted to buy it so badly, to review the games for me. The pizza is WAY too cold for me to enjoy it. It doesn't matter what toppings were on it. It's just not hot anymore. Heck, it's not even warm! It's too cold. 🤣

The only thing I like DNF is the "Vapourware" status, and that too is gonna end if it get's released on June 10th, that is.

For me, the franchise is not so important as the quality of individual product. King's Quest VIII, post Fate of Atlantis Indy games, and even Escape from Monkey Island all do not have the qualities the predecessors have set. For example, I love The Secret of Monkey Island and Le Chuck's revenge, but when I reached the ending in Curse of Monkey Island with it's extremely abrupt ending, I started losing interest in Monkey Island 4. I still love Monkey Island 1 and 2 but I will think twice or thrice before deciding to buy another Monkey Island game, if any.

As I said, the pizza is way too cold! 😉

(reheating it won't help! 😜)

Telltale did pretty well on the Monkey Island franchise though, although it doesn't feel like a Lucasarts title.

u

DonutKing wrote:

The breakfast of champions.

In high school one of my teachers said the breakfast of champions was coffee and cigarettes. She didn't smoke though, so I think she was being sarcastic 🤣