VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Dogan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

2X 1,5 tb-- no good,1- time 500 gb Baracuda 7200.12 no good,,,just my 2 cents!,,,
Ps. Raged on another blog tonight don't have enough to go on but I agree, my 40 gb seagate and wd still works after 6-8 years,,,but decided to up grade and boom,,,3 hard disk all work but sub sub standard,,,havent tried to return them,,,pretty disparaging for a guy that used to buy a creative vibra 128 or tnt 32 screen card, P3 733 for 11 years! and having had no major trouble for years with computer equipment. Well today decided to try to hand these hard discs back, and take the fight to them. Yeah agree with the maxtor thing,,I mean no hard disk should slowdown or start clicking after 2 weeks of use. Since it's happened three times I cant say use this companies stuff,,,sorry. 😒 😖 😕 😵

P4 2.66GHz + Win 7 32 bit + 2 Gb Kingston 800 Ram + GeForce 210 + Gigabyte G31m- ES2L + OZC Vertex2 120GB + 3 Seagate Click click click sound system

Reply 1 of 19, by Dogan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

whops new to forums, tried to post this at under the hard disk's heading,,,moderator if need be can you shift it,,, thx 😀

P4 2.66GHz + Win 7 32 bit + 2 Gb Kingston 800 Ram + GeForce 210 + Gigabyte G31m- ES2L + OZC Vertex2 120GB + 3 Seagate Click click click sound system

Reply 4 of 19, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Considering recent events, I think most hard drive manufacturers have cleaned up their act and hopefully washed away all the things that let to making the occasional defective product.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 5 of 19, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think seagate went downhill after they purchased Maxtor. I ever read in some forum somewhere that a seagate employee told someone over the phone they were putting Maxtor parts in their drives and the new ones are junk.

I have a whole bunch of st340016A (40-gig) drives still running after 7-8 years, but I am not sure I would touch one of their newer drives.

Reply 6 of 19, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hard drives die and are DOA all the time regardless of brand though for some reason seagate has a bad rap worse than the death star series. perhaps they don't have as good of yields as other HDD companies.

Reply 7 of 19, by Dogan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah I agree hardisk do die, even out of the box, (MTBF), but the quality these days,,,I looked their web site forums, and people talk about bad batch of hd's. I changed maybe 20 hard disk's till now and still find the old ball bearing type's much more reliable,,even in failing you could understand,,yup it's going going gone,,,these new liquid ball bearing ones,,,they still keep on going but their work rate is dimished and quickly. I mean after using your comp for hours you start to feel it's rythm and all that. These latest just gave me a bad taste and wanted to went. Ty for your replies.

Reply 8 of 19, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Either I'm lucky with Hard Disks or my Luck with Hard Drives are all really good. In 20 years, I've only faced 2 or 3 bad sectors from a single 1GB hard drive (can't remember which brand) while doing a surface scan. Even then, I doubt if it's the hard drive or one of those obscure IDE cables problem which spit out random "bad sectors". Come to think of it, most (almost all) of my drives are either WDs or Maxtors.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 10 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All my recent failures where WD drives: a 1TB one, a 320gb 2.5" one, a 640gb 2.5" one and finally a 1.5TB one. All my seagates are running fine, a couple of them have 2-3 bad sectors each but that's normal...
It's all luck IMHO

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 19, by Dogan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How long after you bought them did WD fail. Mine two weeks. Malik no comment, you must be the golden boy.

Reply 12 of 19, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I once got a Maxtor ~2 gig that failed right away. The replacement failed right away, and although the second replacement was a different model I didn't trust them anymore. No more Maxtor.

I had two of the WD BB series drives - both of them failed within a year. No more WD.

In the meantime I have a fleet of ST340016A (40-gig, made in Singapore) drives that are still going after 7-8 years. I am STILL using those and have taken to using multiple drives to get more capacity. I had a newer 80-gig Seagate (made in China) that stared making chirping noises and was failing. I am sticking with my ST340016As for now. 😁

Reply 14 of 19, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the early 7200.12 had problems, but not quite as much as the 7200.11... you just needed to update the firmware which fixes many of the problems
seagate now regularly issues updates for these drives and you really need to update the drives... mine worked better after I did that! the "don't fix it till it broken" mentality doesn't really apply here

Reply 17 of 19, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

green drives are dumb i only bought one because it was cheap. HDDs don't pull that much power any ways. i think i might buy a raid card and get some real drives

Reply 18 of 19, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm thinking about buying new motherboard, CPU and RAM, and I wanted to put 2 hard disks in RAID 1 (using the motherboard, good RAID card seems to be expensive). What series of hard disks do you recommend? I've read that WD Caviar are not recommended for RAID devices (specially Green Caviar).

Also, do you know any good RAID card not too expensive?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 19 of 19, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

None! from what i can tell raid 1, via mother board makes no performance boost and if the bios battery goes dead or you loose power you will have to rebuild the raid witch takes time or worst case scenario witch i had happen you loose the raid.

if any thing get a Velociraptor.