VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A bit too pricy though for such a wholesale...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/28-000-pieces-Micropr … =item415f32b279

Reply 1 of 13, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

wow... thats amazing...

if you look at his other items, he is selling some of them seperately for $25 - so if you only want one now's your chance 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 2 of 13, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A mass auction of 28,000 K6-2+/570 CPUs. That is an odd find.

It really makes me wonder which characterisation tests failed at 600 MHz (2.0/3.3 V) causing AMD to drop the rating by 30 MHz.

Last edited by feipoa on 2012-02-03, 15:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 3 of 13, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

A mass auction of 18,000 K6-2+/570 CPUs. That is an odd find.

It really makes me wonder which characterisation tests failed at 600 MHz (2.0/3.3 V) causing AMD to drop the rating by 30 MHz.

I have a post of one of these CPUs being used in my FIC 503+ motherboard and I was able to clock it to 616 stable, but for some reason the numbers in certain benchmarks suffered at the higher clocks.
The booting problems were mostly due to a cheap powersupply and the poor video quality is just a byproduct of using a Voodoo video card.

So, in short, the tests might have had something to do with the FSB being pushed too hard and adversly affecting some other hardware like L cache.

Reply 4 of 13, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Who on earth would buy something like this? I can't imagine even a large company with industrial machinery that relied on a K-6 processor would have use for a quantity this large. I suppose if you were an eccentric, well-heeled EE you could build a supercomputer. Very odd.

The per-unit cost is right around $25, if you bought them and could find 28,000 retro geeks to sell them to at $100 each, you could make a nice profit. I doubt there are even 2800 people that would be interested in buying them, though. And you'd have to come up with the $600k.

Reply 5 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are there even 18k Super 7 boards still floating around?

Makes me wonder.
But still, I'd be surprised if he managed to sell them all to users like us.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recall that Intel apparently sold off its defective Pentium chips as jewelry back in the day. So, there's an option. After all, people are making money selling wristbands with magical "energy" holograms on them, apparently.

But as the description suggests, there could very well be some wacky Super 7-like technology for embedded systems that no one here is ever likely to hear about. How much would you pay for, say, 18,000 ARM or Atom CPUs?

Reply 8 of 13, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone have any idea what this guy's target price is for a single CPU? His individual auctions list the CPU at $25, with only 3 sells and about 10 unaccepted offers (over the past 6 months). I think this is out of most people's price range considering a K6-2+/550 can be acquired for about 1/3 that price.

Reply 9 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not considering buying any since I already have enough of those mobile chips, good chance the owners of Super 7 boards already have plenty mobiles laying around

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 13, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I edited my post for 28k instead of 18k. He has several other auctions for single chips with a Buy-it Now of $25 or Best Offer. If he has a Best Offer, he has a target price lower than Buy-it Now.

Reply 12 of 13, by gwb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Am I missing something?
>"We can provide documents to prove that the parts were shipped directly from the AMD factory to our facility"
>"If it weren't for the fact that we purchased the parts directly from ARROW Electronics"

Reply 13 of 13, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gwb wrote:

Am I missing something?
>"We can provide documents to prove that the parts were shipped directly from the AMD factory to our facility"
>"If it weren't for the fact that we purchased the parts directly from ARROW Electronics"

They were probably drop shipped. Drop shipping is when you order from an intermediary, they order from the supplier and the supplier delivers direct to your door to save time and so you don't pay shipping twice.

If he's not selling them quickly enough at $25 each, I seriously doubt anyone is going to buy a lot that size for $20 each. Anyone looking to buy those for resale is probably not going to want to pay more than $5 each for that size lot.