VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just curious - has anyone here ever played many Quake user-made levels? I have a whole CD full of levels I downloaded off planetquake many years ago, even made a series of batch files to load them. Some of the were very good - equaling or surpassing the original maps. So like I said, just curious..........

Reply 2 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I once took the liberty of trying to figure out how to make levens for the original Unreal, but that never mounted to very much.
I did make levels for Stunts, Command & Conquer (both maps and missions) and a few Total Annihilation maps which I uploaded to TAU.

Btw, I'm also curious to learn if anyone else here made maps/missions for older games!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 14, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I made HEAPS of levels for stunts (it was pretty easy) and saved them on a floppy which eventually corrupted so I lost the lot.
I remember trying to make maps for Rise of the Triad using various editors but never finished any of them (TED was pretty arcane)
Later on I also made a couple of maps for Starcraft and Heroes of Might and Magic 3.

As for quake I remember playing a James Bond themed map that had you board and take over a ship - all the grunts were retextured to look like soldiers. It wasn't really good.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 4 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:
I made HEAPS of levels for stunts (it was pretty easy) and saved them on a floppy which eventually corrupted so I lost the lot. […]
Show full quote

I made HEAPS of levels for stunts (it was pretty easy) and saved them on a floppy which eventually corrupted so I lost the lot.
I remember trying to make maps for Rise of the Triad using various editors but never finished any of them (TED was pretty arcane)
Later on I also made a couple of maps for Starcraft and Heroes of Might and Magic 3.

As for quake I remember playing a James Bond themed map that had you board and take over a ship - all the grunts were retextured to look like soldiers. It wasn't really good.

Unfortunately my stuntmaps were all lost in a harddrive crash, but oh well...
But I should have the C&C maps and missions somewhere...

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 14, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

I once took the liberty of trying to figure out how to make levens for the original Unreal, but that never mounted to very much.
I did make levels for Stunts, Command & Conquer (both maps and missions) and a few Total Annihilation maps which I uploaded to TAU.

Btw, I'm also curious to learn if anyone else here made maps/missions for older games!

heh, another Stunts "mapper" here.
Lode Runner is the oldest game I remember making levels for, though I'm pretty sure they all sucked since it was just an excuse to draw cool stuff on the screen. Coming up with new levels in Supaplex was fun too.
Made a ton of maps with MAPEDIT for Wolf3D/SOD... then with DCK32 for Doom II, a bunch of simple deathmatch maps as well as some more ambitious WADs that were never really finished (e.g. still have a copy of a huge "time travel" map with textures I made in Autodesk Animator - the graphic for the "present time" section says 1996). 😁

I did try some mapping in various Unreal Tournament installments but bot-pathing made me want to shoot someone - I recall some wacky CTF map set in/on a pool table and a DM remake of DoomII's Entryway that actually turned out nice. Also had an abortive attempt at a map which looks like this, that went out the window when I ran up against the 3dfx 256x256 texture limit.

More shamefully, there was that level editor for the arcade version of Bubble Bobble - I probably spent more time with that than I'd care to admit...

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 7 of 14, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I spent a LOT of time building Quake levels - WAY too much time. That is a HUGE time sink- an entire weekend can go by in a flash. I can attest to the fact that building those 3-D levels, good ones, is not as easy as it looks and definitely requires talent

Reply 8 of 14, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've played a few, the most recent being Unforgiven which you need a source port and super computer for if you are using Dark Places.

I played requiem and KQP (killer quake pack) ALOT on the original id levels agains the Zeus bots and Reaper bots-many many hours of game play.

And...spent alot of time playing Quake Rally. Now that is my favorite TC of all time. I remember waiting for it to be released back in 1997 and played the living shit out of it. In fact, we played it a few days ago on two Pentium 1 computers in LAN with Win98. We warpped to the cult level and played for a long time.

Never did get to play the mission packs. That is on my bucket list Also, I used to play Navy Seals Quake alot, awesome weapons.

Reply 9 of 14, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can the levels be used with other mods? I particularly like the Navy Seal mod, especially the part when I make mincemeat out of shambler using automatic shotgun. Realistic weapon damage FTW!

Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on 2013-03-09, 17:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 10 of 14, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Double post, gah.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 11 of 14, by Tiremaster400

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Can the levels be used with other mods? I particularly like the Navy Seal mod, especially the part when I make mincemeat out of shambler using automatic shotgun. Realistic weapon damage FTW!

I want to say yes. I don't remember exactly how to implement the different levels with the mod I think you can insert any level file into a quake patch/mod in windows.

Reply 12 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ncmark wrote:

I spent a LOT of time building Quake levels - WAY too much time. That is a HUGE time sink- an entire weekend can go by in a flash. I can attest to the fact that building those 3-D levels, good ones, is not as easy as it looks and definitely requires talent

fortunately a timesaving solution just came out

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 14 of 14, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My most prolific mapping was for the Timesplitters series and Tony Hawk's Underground for Playstation 2. It's pretty fun to map for Doom, though. I've never been able to break into full 3D.

If you want to arrange some Quake games, I think the DarkPlaces source port has a game browser.