VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The description sounds like totally bogus. Anyone see something like that before?

http://www.sahibinden.com/ilan/alisveris-bilg … -70570371/detay

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 1 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tayyare wrote:

The description sounds like totally bogus. Anyone see something like that before?

http://www.sahibinden.com/ilan/alisveris-bilg … -70570371/detay

I can't read the description as it is in a foreign language, but it looks like some kind of adapter to me.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 7, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's in Turkish, but the problem is, description does not make sense to me at all, although turkish is my native language.

It has a 50 pin external SCSI connector, and an internal 40 pin IDE connector, and a 5 pin something...I understand it is a adapter of sorts, but what it is exactly, that is what I really wonder...

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 3 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Google translate : http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&i … 71/detay#submit

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 7, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think it's an adapter to either hook up an IDE drive to a SCSI cable or the other way around.

Edit; reading the description again. It could be a SCSI to USB adapter; you hook up the small cable to the USB header on your motherboard and hook up a SCSI cable/drive to the connector.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 5 of 7, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a very curious device. First of all, the external connector has 100 pins. No ordinary SCSI device uses a 100-pin connector. It also has a 40-pin connector typically used by IDE drives. It seemed designed in part to bring a USB port from a motherboard to the edge of a case. It uses a weird 6-pin USB header cable.

I think it may be an internal to external IDE adapter for some proprietary device with the USB connector being used to power the external device. Unless there is some kind of circuitry on the underside of the board, I am running with that.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 6 of 7, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My guess is it is some kind of board for IDE hard drive dock, like those used get a swappable 3.5" hard drive into 5.25" front panel slot. But what confuses me that there is no standard floppy or HDD power connector to feed power.

Perhaps this is a back panel bracket instead for a box with external IDE drive?
If it only takes power from USB, it could be for 2.5" laptop IDE drives, as 12V is missing. Or then the external box requires a separate power supply.

Most likely not very interesting anyway, looks like a completely passive adapter.

Reply 7 of 7, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks a lot for the input. I have unfortuntelly a stupid interest in anything SCSI, so I just wondered what it was.

The seller claims that it is either a IDE/SCSI adapter (I've seen real ones and rememebr they were real curciut boards with real chipsets) or a USB/SCSI adapter (WTF?..). Both sounds like BS, and I see you guys also think the same.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader