VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some 2 weeks ago I started to test a 430 TX mobo. Some CPU's worked, others didn't. Then I remembered I had some other working S7 boards, with non-intel chipsets. Specifically, 2 of the notorious PC Chips mobos with the so called VX Pro and TX Pro chipsets. Well, HAD is the proper word. Because I only found the VX Pro. I got mad and started searching everywhere. So I realised I am missing more and more parts. Could not find the TX Pro board, then a SS7 VIA MVP3, then a VIP 486 Soyo.

Well... I found some other. Like 2 286 boards. Dead as a doornail, the barrel batteries leaked and killed them both.
And I found my 2 VLB 486 boards just in time; of course, the batteries leaked on them too, but not as bad as the 286 and I managed to save them; took off the batteries and cleaned up the acidic mess.

I just hate the missing parts stuff... I probably junked them and I forgot. But this is not all... Last summer a soundcard disappeared. It was here, I tested it, then some days later I could not find it anywhere. I just hate that; a quite good part, Yamaha 754. Now I only have a 724 and a 744 in Yamaha PCI collection.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 1 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I spent all saturday looking for my 8 bit isa sony cd drive controller.

only to remember I sold it to a friend 6 months ago.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 2 of 10, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I am sorry about that VIP 486. I do think I threw it away, since it had damaged memory sockets. Only 1 out of 4 worked, and only with 4 Mb modules. I am glad I found the VLB 486 boards in time. One of them was used as my main computer many years ago; I was dirt poor, so a 486 with a tiny 43 Mb HDD was all that I could afford. 30pin SIMMs, all 8 occupied with 1 Mb modules. The other board is a Soyo 25J, 2 72pin and 4 30pin slots; from all the SIMM I tested it with, it seems to like best a 64 Mb pair; 2x32, that is.
I have fond memories of compiling a Linux kernel and KDE on a 486 with a Soyo VIP mobo, same model as the one which saw only 4 Mb. Well... a 486 with 20 or 24 Mb RAM, 2x2 Gb SCSI HDD, a 2 Mb VLB video which I still have and works great, and a Yamaha SW20-PC+Gravis Ultrasound ACE combo.

Oh the irony... I remember all these but I cannot remember what happened to the 754 soundcard or the MVP3 or TX Pro mobos.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.

Reply 3 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Forgetting where I put something was a major issue before I started labeling everything. Now I have everything sorted in labeled boxes and stored everything together. All mobo's in 1 part of the attic (and sorted by socket type) stored in motherboard boxes (usually 2 in 1 box to save some space and because I don't have enough boxes to go around), all graphics cards in labeled kiwi boxes and all together. etc etc.
It took me weeks to sort and label everything, but at least I sorted one problem (I can now find stuff back again because I know where it "should" be). But it didn't solve the other problem, which is...looking for 1 particular piece of hardware and then finding something else which make me go "Oh, I forgot I had -that- in there!" 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 10, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Am I crazy? Or just getting old?

Maybe both?... 😁

Don't worry, I have the same problem... 😊

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 6 of 10, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great... just great and peachy...
I am doomed. DOOMED, I tell you. Right now I can't find a SB Vibra_16XV; which I had in my hands less than a month ago... Just wanted to pack in some boxes my soundcards and videocards, I found another Vibra16, but I cannot find the XV. Cannot mistake them, because the found one has all black audio jacks (and is a 16c), and the missing one has color coded jacks.
What the hell is happening here??!!??

Last edited by fillosaurus on 2013-03-13, 19:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 10, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I stop posting, know that my GUS ACE has disappeared too and I have commited suicide.

Reply 9 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fillosaurus wrote:

If I stop posting, know that my GUS ACE has disappeared too and I have commited suicide.

LMAO!

Anyway, does anyone else have access to your collection of hardware?
I am very hesitant to let people at my hardware for fear of theft. Actually, I mention to very few people that I have a large amount of old hardware laying around and if they ask, I just tell them my attic is filled with junk (which can be considered a half-truth I guess 😁 ) like old schoolbooks and such.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 10, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nobody else has access to my junk 😉
My parents visit weekly, but they do not mess with it.
And the friends who visit are not interested, as a matter of fact one of them donated lots of old hardware, and does not know the difference between an ISA soundcard and AGP video.
Anyways, a PCI Yamaha 754 and ISA SB Vibra 16XV are hardly rare items.
It just bothers me I cannot find them anymore.