VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello guys, I'm about to buy this Joystick as a backup of my old analog MS Sidewinder (all analog) and I was wondering if anyone has experience playing with this Joystick in "real mode" DOS.
For instance, tried with Microsoft "Sidewinder Precision Pro" and although it does have a game port connector I couldn't make it work under DOS.

So here it is, will it work? is it any good?

joystickparapclogitechw.jpg

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 1 of 6, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No idea if it will work or not for what you want it for, but I can tell you why the Precision Pro doesn't work in real DOS because I've owned one since they were new. ;)

The MS Sidewinder Precision Pro was designed as a Windows joystick, but since there were a lot of DOS games still, Microsoft added legacy drivers that are loaded into Windows to allow the joystick to function with DOS games while running them through Windows.

But of course, Microsoft was trying to ween everyone off of DOS, so naturally they didn't include pure-DOS drivers. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2 of 6, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes it will work fine.
I played XWing, Tie fighter, Rebel Assault 1/2, Pacific Strike, Wings Of Glory, Descent, WC3/4 and many more flightsims, even Settlers in split screen mode with that joystick...good times!

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 4 of 6, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lolo799 wrote:

Yes it will work fine.
I played XWing, Tie fighter, Rebel Assault 1/2, Pacific Strike, Wings Of Glory, Descent, WC3/4 and many more flightsims, even Settlers in split screen mode with that joystick...good times!

Ok, those are my type of games, I'll buy it.

by the way, no so long ago I've found a Hurricane based TB Audio Advantage PCMCIA New old stock, unopened at ebay.com I don't know what I was not-thinking really, but I missed it, by chance do you own one ?

Here's the only pic related I have found of it http://seersystems.com/1994/12/
The sound card is so rare is not even in TB site.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 6 of 6, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

No idea if it will work or not for what you want it for, but I can tell you why the Precision Pro doesn't work in real DOS because I've owned one since they were new. 😉

The MS Sidewinder Precision Pro was designed as a Windows joystick, but since there were a lot of DOS games still, Microsoft added legacy drivers that are loaded into Windows to allow the joystick to function with DOS games while running them through Windows.

But of course, Microsoft was trying to ween everyone off of DOS, so naturally they didn't include pure-DOS drivers. 😜

To be frank, I've never had any gameport joystick that requires driver to work in pure DOS. Thrustmaster stick enable its programmable buttons through downloader (instead of drivers) and keyboard pass-through. Logitech Wingman Warrior needs driver, but it is actually a mouse driver to enable the rotating button instead of joystick driver.

I've never own MS Sidewinder Precision Pro, but it seems a gameport joystick's inability to work in pure DOS is an exception instead of the rule. The Logitech Wingman you're about to buy is a normal, two-button joystick. Chances it works in pure DOS without software help - driver or otherwise.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.