PC vs PS4

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Updates/Patches quickly appeared and
I have finished GTA IV on a geforce gtx 280 and 4core phenom playing almost max details with quality you couldn't see on consoles. And i am still using that pc now.
So even when the game is not optimized for pc it still looks and works better.

Reply 21 of 31, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
d1stortion wrote:
shamino wrote:

Even older games can benefit from PC upgrades, but an old console game will always be an old console game.

This is PC centric snobbery at its best. I don't like the current consoles but one has to acknowledge the stuff that they did with this ancient hardware by PC standards.

I'm referring to the fact that console games don't scale. I didn't express that very well.
If a new console is even downward compatible at all, it doesn't improve the game any. You're just thankful that it still runs.
When a person upgrades their PC, they can jack up the details, view distances, resolution etc while achieving a better framerate. That much is a given. If a modding scene develops, then a future PC has the potential to do much more amazing things with that game.

For example, Morrowind on the XBox and the PC started out similar. Today they're dramatically different because the PC version scaled to people's newer hardware. The difference becomes extreme if you bring mods into it but even without that, just being able to max out the settings is a big improvement from what anybody could do when it was released, or what the XBox version is like.

I agree that consoles lead to more effort put into optimization than what the PC gets. With the PC, developers are more inclined to just raise the system requirements rather than spend time improving the code.

Reply 22 of 31, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well yeah I agree that with multiplatform titles the consoles are generally bound to lose vs. the PC, except for a few early gen titles in the past (NFS MW comes to mind, I think it had more bloom etc on the 360 than on the PC). Mods and customization are inherent advantages that the PC platform has, or at least should have when devs aren't messing things up. At the same time PC games generally suffer from lack of backwards compatibility, which is why so many people on here build retro rigs with old OSs etc. With a console, if you have a game and the console works you can play it easily just like it was intended to.

I think the real magic with consoles happens when they push the hardware truly to its limits. This generally happens only with self-contained console exclusive games. And that makes me dislike the throw-away mentality in the PC realm, because frankly you'll never be able to get such graphics out of a 7800 GTX etc. since they are "obsolete" and you are supposed to buy new stuff every so often to get the most out of the games.

Reply 23 of 31, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
d1stortion wrote:

you'll never be able to get such graphics out of a 7800 GTX etc. since they are "obsolete" and you are supposed to buy new stuff every so often to get the most out of the games.

Actually thanks to consoles the "throw-away mentality in the PC realm" is heavily (if not completely if you count reducing gfx details) reduced. Most games are just console ports and they work nicely on PCs that are just slightly better than consoles. That is why i can still play latest Tomb Raider on my ancient PC 😀

Reply 24 of 31, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo wrote:

Actually thanks to consoles the "throw-away mentality in the PC realm" is heavily (if not completely if you count reducing gfx details) reduced. Most games are just console ports and they work nicely on PCs that are just slightly better than consoles. That is why i can still play latest Tomb Raider on my ancient PC 😀

Due to the very long console generation graphics and PCs have been held back. You can still play modern games (albeit not in high or ultra details) on a high-end PC from 2006 (Q6600, 8GB RAM, 8800GTX). Those parts are almost 7 years old by now. That has never happened before in the PC history and is one of the reasons we now see PC sales dropping like hell every year. People just don't upgrade as much as before.

The new console generation is actually a good thing for us PC gamers as we will see a new leap in graphics, physics and hardware. Prepare to upgrade 😉

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 25 of 31, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm looking forward to the new consoles. The PC roots should ensure more PC ports than currently.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 26 of 31, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

maybe for 1 or 2 years after the new consoles get released they will be "better" than a pc (due to their extra and custom chips, something that gets easily forgotten) but after a while the pcs will catch up and surpass them.... same as previous generations, nothing new here... seen that done that, "comparison" videos etc are just fanboy crap.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 27 of 31, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was never an early adopter but I'm interested in the PS4. I'm less concerned about specs (it's already more powerful than anything I'm running); my main problem is Sony's approach to DRM and the secondhand market.

Reply 28 of 31, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bucket wrote:

I was never an early adopter but I'm interested in the PS4. I'm less concerned about specs (it's already more powerful than anything I'm running); my main problem is Sony's approach to DRM and the secondhand market.

I won't buy any console that ties your games to a single console. What happens if you have a warranty issue and have to send your console in for exchange? Now you have a remanufactured console with a different identification number than the one you sent in so now your games won't work anymore.