VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by lucky7456969

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am not saying to avoid work.
But if I was in a large enterprise, while the number of IT staff is limited. You have to take care of large amount of work without compromise. Sometimes it can be overwhelming and over-daunting and no single human can accept that amount of work.
I am not to say to use a software to complement another IT workload dilemma, but to use work practice to reduce it. Anyone in this industry has some experiences to share?
Thanks
Jack

Reply 2 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm assuming there's some sort of helpdesk involved? Give people easy to use tools for password resets, etc, then you can have a pre-recorded message which tells people how to sort their own shit out for the simple stuff. If they stay on the line, then direct them to a human.

Have a strict policy on the SOE. If someone rings up and complains that they can't access X application and they're not using the 1 supported web browser, then no help for them.

People are lazy and will abuse an overly helpful I.T support team, but they're surprisingly resourceful if you get tough (I find).

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 8, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Dumping unsupported 16-bit legacy software and DOSBox for supported current versions might help.

🤣

Snap!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 4 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Outsourcing.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 8, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

broad questions will net you broad answers
the OP didn't provide any specific questions and doesn't even know what exactly he's asking... corporate IT departments can mean anything because IT is not IT... it can be server admin, data management, desktop support, endpoint management, networking, etc.

I refuse to even say anything in this thread until he provides specifics on what his job is

Reply 7 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Remote control ofall PCs

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 8, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

[meant as food for thought, not all may make sense]

be clear on what you are here for and what you are not here for and train users to understand that

enforce conformity of hardware and software

enforce use of firewalls and anti-virus software

disable floppy, cd drives and try to discourage usb devices, if feasible

disable use of local hard drives for user data - store it all on the network so you can make sure it's backed up

automate backups

neither build nor support end-user applications, leave that to end users and other IT staff designated that role [if any]

leave training in user software to end users [or designated staff]

use of a web form for users to log support jobs [helps discourages unimportant timewasters]

use standard builds and installation images

limit access to machines through boot passwords and login passwords with an enforced password security policy [reduces tampering etc]

learn to say NO