VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by m1so

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just out of boredom, how about a game where you'd write down the specs for a worst possible computer in a given era 😉 ? Here's my try for the late 90s era.

WinChip 180 Mhz
16 MB RAM
600 MB 3600 rpm IDE harddrive formatted in FAT16 mode, Drivespace compressed
Windows 98 First edition
noname integrated SiS videocard
Caddy 4x CD-ROM drive

Anyone?

Reply 2 of 5, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Packard Bell *

I had a Packard Bell P-150 once, and the only problem I had with it was the case was even more convoluted inside than a Mac case. Upgrading it was a PITA. There were structural braces all over the place that were only there to make it impossible to get your hands inside to upgrade anything. I did a lot of cutting on that case to make it more accessible.

Reply 3 of 5, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Packard Bell *

I had a Packard Bell P-150 once, and the only problem I had with it was the case was even more convoluted inside than a Mac case. Upgrading it was a PITA. There were structural braces all over the place that were only there to make it impossible to get your hands inside to upgrade anything. I did a lot of cutting on that case to make it more accessible.

Did the case look like this : m_38462_1.jpg

I had a PB like that, and it really was like trying to break into a safe. To be fair, the plastic cover came off really easily, only 3 screws.

Last edited by Great Hierophant on 2013-05-22, 22:02. Edited 1 time in total.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 5 of 5, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Having any clone of DOS that was not actually MS-DOS pretty much doomed you to not be able to run very specific games. One of my friends was also stuck with EDO ram at a time when you couldn't find the stuff anymore. Another friend and I also used to joke that Cyrix processors could probably melt your computer, though TBH, that was just an assumption based on stories we heard which may or may not have been true. :P

Also get this: The Packard Bell 486DX2/66 system my father got back in the early 90s came with Megarace... which is not 100% compatable with Packard Bell systems and had a tendency to lock up at random moments. XD

Also, being stuck without a Sound Blaster card in the 90s could be surprisingly painful. x_x;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg