Common searches

First post, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of my friends linked me to this article on Polygon just now:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/10/5198276/you … copyright-blitz

Every time I'm close to sitting down and spending the day updating my website to link each video page to YouTube, something ridiculous like this happens because the system is far too automated for its own good with no real tech support to ensure the system DOESN'T break and do stuff like this...

By this point, I'm consdering just having the YouTube channel as a backup for people who prefer to watch videos on there instead of Blip. That way, if it ever goes down for stupid reasons, everything's still on my website and on Blip and there won't be any confusing links to YouTube that don't work. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1 of 34, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i prefer viewing from Blip myself.
in last few months YT player behave strangely like redownloading the video content if i rewind the video playback instead of re-playing what already been cached by browser.

i did the rewinding a lot, as i sometimes need to review what I just saw, the YT behaviour are working against me.
And because of that i was forced to use video downloaders if I really need to watch something from youtube.

But with blip fortunately doesn't display such behaviours, yet

-fffuuu

Reply 2 of 34, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know what I'm going to say is never going to happen but everyone just needs to ultimately stop using YouTube in a massive boycott and move to something else like DailyMotion.

That's probably the only way a company will understand that they've done something wrong, too bad that'll never happen though.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 34, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Google is just rotten in general and it is a hassle just to log in to check email let alone deal with Google+ (more like -) in Youtube. What frustrates me is the loss of quality options on a lot of videos that simply are required for any streaming experience. Can't even get 1080 on some videos let alone anything else and only a handful still have other options still working. I don't do full screen but this becomes a huge issue as I download videos for further editing and archive. Oh well most of the activist community has scattered to other places like Live Leak and Metacafe. Google isn't doing this with the intention of "improving" user experience but locking everything down and forcing people to either leave or conform. Plus a lot of people like my self have been booted off for putting out things that really got under their skin. The people who pull the strings behind youtube are worse than the trolls.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4 of 34, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't run a youtube channel for easy money from overreacting to mainstream games with bad jokes for the lowest common denominator, so no claims here....

(That said I really hate Pewdiepie and i'm not the least bit of sympathetic about Lets Players doing it for a living... when Let's Play started on SA, it definitely wasn't about the money. You can thank the many for taking the monetization offer with a non-hesitant yes for getting game companies go on notice to screw those who aren't Pewdiepie. It's why we can't have nice things like decent independent game reviews....)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 34, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Let's play videos or walkthroughs of very RECENT games have always made me scratch my head. When beyond two souls came out I just watched it on YT. Even before it was released in Australia. The game is basically a movie.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 34, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

(That said I really hate Pewdiepie and i'm not the least bit of sympathetic about Lets Players doing it for a living... when Let's Play started on SA, it definitely wasn't about the money. You can thank the many for taking the monetization offer with a non-hesitant yes for getting game companies go on notice to screw those who aren't Pewdiepie. It's why we can't have nice things like decent independent game reviews....)

And... He's not funny at all! But let's face it, most of his audience is aged from 12 to 18 years old.

Reply 7 of 34, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:

And... He's not funny at all! But let's face it, most of his audience is aged from 12 to 18 years old.

I made an effort to watch that guy once (mostly don't care for Let's Plays and really don't care about any of the games he covered, but I have a morbid curiosity about internet hype) and it was a painful experience. I'd even say there's a moral imperative to avoid watching anything that rewards deliberate mental retardation with cash flow.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 8 of 34, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

leileilol: I will not go into the whole pewdiepie stuff. But not all, who has computer games playing as a job(on youtube), is like the guy you mentioned. One of those people, whom I enjoy with his playthroughs is Darksydephil, and he used to have a "real" job until he got fired. Because of the BAD economy USA has. And I could go on, but let us just agree to disagree on the matter.

Reply 9 of 34, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I find most LPs boring, but there's two big exceptions whom I watch on a regular basis on YouTube: Direwolf20 and X.

Direwolf20 is one of the most popular people involved with Minecraft mods, even though he himself is not a modder. He releases DAILY videos and almost none of them are boring. He does a single player series which is kinda like both a tutorial and an LP combined together, as well as a server-play series where he plays on the Forgecraft servers, conversing with and playing with the mod developers themselves, trying out all kinds of mods still in development in the process, thus crashes and bugs occur on a regular basis. He also does mod spotlights, highlighting all the features of new mods and updates to existing mods.

X (aka DavidAngel64) plays a bunch of different games and has an extremely likable personality, though his updates are a bit random at times. He always talks about his strategies in great detail and finds humour in just about everything that goes right and wrong. He also has quite the imagination, as one time during an LP of a dungeon crawl the situation which played out was so ludicrous that he turned it into a slideshow story with multiple bad drawings to go with it. XD

But yeah, most other Let's Players I just can't watch because they're not interesting. An LP is not about the game, it's about the person showcasing the game, and if the host simply isn't interesting to listen to then I'd rather just play the game myself or watch someone else. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 10 of 34, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The thing that made them take notice are all these young Let's Players, inspired by Pewdiepie, finding the lazy prospect of 'playing a game and making bad jokes' as a easy way to make money, disregarding the fair use practices of using copyrighted content altogether just to exploit from their 'creative experience' off of others' IP.

Youtube always insisted their users qualifying for monetization have "100% original content or cleared properly with authorization' to have a commercial gain. I honestly don't see what's so "fair use" about PLAYING THROUGH A BRAND NEW ENTIRE VIDEO GAME IN ITS ENTIRETY for the money. I mean why shell out $60 for GTAV when one could just hit up a kid's LP series to watch them slog through GTAV for free while he gets ad revenue? Can you see where that's a problem?

Serious game review channels get shows and are exempt from contentID claims for having a "show" registered with Youtube.

Last edited by leileilol on 2013-12-12, 02:15. Edited 2 times in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 34, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Someone from Youtube needs to be educated as to what constitutes "fair use". Fair use allows for the use of clips within the broader context of a user created video, like if you were to do a movie review, then you could include short clips to illustrate a point you were trying to make or as an example of what the viewer would experience if they watched the film in it's entirety as long as those clips aren't more than a few seconds and the complete film can't be assembled from them. Your video must be predominantly user created content, like a 30 minute review show could contain like 1-2 minutes worth of clips and not be infringing because the rest of the video is original content. Too many Youtubers, though, seem to think that use of clips being fair use means they can break down a 2 hour film into 10 minute segments then upload the segments individually so people can watch the whole movie for free and claim fair use. Those are the ones Youtube needs to crack down on, not the ones who are claiming fair use correctly.

Reply 12 of 34, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The point of the matter though is that YouTube's automatic system sent out countless bogus Content-ID claims in a very short time, to the point where the rights holders themselves who were supposedly making these claims were like, "WTF? We never did anything of the sort! We WANT people to talk about our games and post videos! D:"

I've said it before and I'll say it again: YouTube seriously needs to invest in having REAL tech support so that really stupid things like this don't happen or so that when they do happen they're solved quickly instead of slowly/never. >_>;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 13 of 34, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

YouTube wouldn't of been this way if the founders didn't allow themselves to get bought out by Google. But the only way for Google to change the things people complain about is a boycott. A petition isn't going to do much if at all anything but everybody outright stopping the use of YouTube all at once will.

Maybe we need to have our video hosting services located in a country that doesn't recognize the ambiguous and dubious US copyright laws and actually cares about total net neutrality.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 14 of 34, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

Maybe we need to have our video hosting services located in a country that doesn't recognize the ambiguous and dubious US copyright laws and actually cares about total net neutrality.

heh, good luck finding one that satisfies both requirements.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 15 of 34, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the topic of ContentID, isn't it possible for a total unrelated third party to blatantly abuse the system to try to take down videos just to take down videos? i.e. the proverbial troll who hates the reviewer(s).

I remember hearing about a incident that went like that, someone got contentID striked by a totally unknown company and it turned out to be someone trying to personally attack someone via that system.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 17 of 34, by j7n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I rather enjoy Let's Plays myself to compare their approach to beating games with mine, or to watch a game in a foreign language. But I didn't know money was involved. I see no ads on any of the videos, but I haven't watched the most popular ones. I did unsubscribe from one guy who loaded like 2 videos a day, and I felt he had turned this into some kind of work, and didn't pay the deserved attention to every game (in my opinion).

Reply 19 of 34, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

To the original subject, sure it seems youtube is a bit and more overeager to restrict potential copyright problem stuff, but I sure can see where they come from. Ever since Google bought it and people/companies know there is big money involved Google/Youtube got hit with lawsuits. Not the uploader but G/Y since they show the content. They are now trying to limit damages...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper