VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been a heavy critic of the non-functioning "Arcade Emulation" section (which has (always?) been empty) for many....years now . 😁

This is my latest attempt to nudge it. (What is it doing there all these years, anyway?) 🤣

But seriously, can we change it to a section that helps dealing with Dosbox running on Linux? Or we could have a separate new section for this?

It will be good to discuss Dosbox on Linux and the Linux based frontends for Dosbox here.

We can rename and move it as Linux section and place it in the "Dosbox" main sub-thread.

I'm hoping it will be helpful for all. Just a suggestion.

Edit: edited some grammatical errors and removed the hyperlink .

Last edited by Malik on 2014-02-25, 08:52. Edited 3 times in total.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 1 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I don't think we need sn extra Linux Dosbox section.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 9, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I've always wondered that...why did we drop the talk about arcade emulation? Wait..why was there arcade emulation talk in rhe first place? Did dosbox use to emulate sone home consoles? Or what? Or was that just remnissance of an old section of the Very Old Games On New Systems original boards?

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 3 of 9, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is the "Console & Arcade Emulation" forum, but I have no idea why the empty original Arcade Emulation has not been deleted. It is a broken redirect, not a forum. As to a Linux, I don't see a need, either. After all, neither Windows nor Mac have their own sections.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 9, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The problem with arcade emulation is that you can't do it without ROM's and ROM's are illegal. Console emulation also crosses that line so it probably shouldn't be allowed, either. Console emulation is actually worse because it not only requires game ROM's like arcade emulation, but also dumps of the ROM chips found in the consoles themselves. I think having these sections only encourages discussion of where to find illegal ROM's, whether that discussion be open or more covertly through PM's and shouldn't be encouraged.

Reply 7 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The arcade section was rather empty, so it got merged with the console section, hence the name Consoles and arcade.
I left the old section there, as I didn't want to break any links.
When upgrading the board, I stuck with the same idea and it was my intention to redirect arcada to the combined forum. Obviously this failed, but thanks to report of collector, this has been repaired.

The board could be removed, but I don't see emulating Linux as a very good replacement.

For what it is worth, boards are not added because one is removed... Just look at the recent addition of the SoftMPU board.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

Linux emulation is, well.........who emulates Linux for playing games anyway?

I think a couple of games on my list (less than 5? I'd have to check) don't run in modern Windows or in Windows run in a VM but they do run using Wine in a VM.

It wouldn't be worth a seperate forum just for this unless Microsoft decides to drop backwards compatibility.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 9, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just to reiterate if my post was not clear - I was suggesting to add a section for help with Dosbox issues running in Linux environment (and not about emulating Linux).

And also would like to know if the following section should continue remaining there :

12773729003_b352c8fe6c_c.jpg

It's an empty label. Or a non-functional label in other words, (other than to redirect to another with a similar title description, which is situated just above this title) taking up that space. Perhaps this row can be deleted?

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers