Games with deeper meanings/symbolism

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TELVM wrote:

I liked very much Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossfire. It did so always tongue in cheek but it touched with style non-trivial subjects like politics, sociology, transcendence and first contact. Some in-game videos, often with excerpts from the movie Baraka, were pieces of art.

A token.

I liked Alpha Centauri. I thought it was a good follow up to Civilization/Colonization. As I understand it, though, a lot of reviewers didn't like it as well as the earlier games so it didn't succeed to the same degree. They're still making Civilization sequels, but Alpha Centauri is officially dead.

Reply 22 of 24, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alpha Centauri came out at the same time as Civilization Call to Power (made by Activision, not Firaxis) and a few Australian review mags said that CtP was the better game. I don't really agree with that.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 23 of 24, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

Fallout has an amazing intro though! Definitely, one of my favorites! Fallout 1 boxed is quite expensive nowadays, I'm still looking for it at a reasonable price! I got my Fallout 2 boxed for 5 Euro though, so I can't really complain 😁.

Beneath a Steel Sky also has one of my favorite intros, the CD-ROM version that is.

They re-released Fallout along with Fallout 2 and either Tactics or BoS (I forget which) a few years ago, right before or after Fallout 3 came out. I spent around $15 on the thing brand new at a department store; it includes a lot of the patches and whatnot too. 😀

And snorg: all New Vegas copies require Steam as far as I'm aware. The retail copy won't do much for you if it's an old purchase (like if you bought it on release day, like I did) because of the amount of updates it has to take; just like Skyrim.

Reply 24 of 24, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:
Nah I was talking about Alpha Centauri :). Fallout has an amazing intro though! Definitely, one of my favorites! Fallout 1 boxed […]
Show full quote
snorg wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

I was reading the manual for that a couple of days ago. Great stuff, but the most memorable thing from the game, at least for me, was the fantastic intro.

I just realized you probably meant the intro for Fallout. The High Energy Weapons FAQ in the manual is one of the best parts. I no longer have the box for the game (wish I had kept it, I only have a few boxed games, especially with the quality of packaging declining over the years) but still have the manual. I think I have 2 physical copies of Fallout 1&2 as well as the digital copies off GOG. I also have 2 copies of Fallout 3 (I think I ordered one collector's edition and 1 regular copy, and then I bought a "digital deluxe game of the year" edition with all the expansions when it went for sale on Steam. I think my copy of New Vegas is Steam only.

So yeah they made more than their share off me but I love those games so much I didn't mind spending extra to get the collector's edition (even though I already had a copy) and the Steam deal was so good I couldn't pass it up, since I was missing one or 2 of the DLCs. I think I got all of them and the main game for like $5 or $10 or something ridiculously cheap.

Nah I was talking about Alpha Centauri 😀.
Fallout has an amazing intro though! Definitely, one of my favorites! Fallout 1 boxed is quite expensive nowadays, I'm still looking for it at a reasonable price! I got my Fallout 2 boxed for 5 Euro though, so I can't really complain 😁.

Beneath a Steel Sky also has one of my favorite intros, the CD-ROM version that is.

Just checked prices for boxed copies of Fallout 1 on E-bay...and now I'm sad 🙁
Figures. Oh well, at least I have an SGI O2 and 2 Indigos I managed to snag for cheap before they started destroying them all.
SGI had a ton of systems and parts that they just scrapped when the company went bankrupt, rather than putting them up for sale.
You can still find them for sale, but it isn't like the old days where you could pick one up for $50.