Kids can be creepy sometimes...

Topic actions

Reply 61 of 70, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

I can't really comment on the other stuff, but this particular instance is almost certainly waking up in a dream and going back to sleep in said dream.

In dreams things tend to change as I read them. I could see the numbers on my clock clearly when this happened.
I felt tired the first time. I never feel tired in a dream.
I was well rested the second time as if I had slept extra long. Considering the time I would normally go to bed I should have still been tired.

Gemini000 wrote:

Something interesting that happens with dreams is they can actually become mundane given the proper circumstances and mental states. By that I mean, they take on the shape, function, and logic of reality, and thus feel like real events which transpire the instant after waking. Since the dream also begins by waking up, the mind is more susceptible to believing it's actually woken up, when in fact it hasn't.

In that case the dream would have been about getting on the bus instead of oversleeping.

Though speaking of dreams becoming mundane there was a full week that I had a sense of déjà vu. I went to bed Sunday and dreamt Monday and Tuesday in their entirety. I got up on Monday thinking it was now Wednesday. That night I dreamt Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesday night I dreamt Wednesday and Thursday. Odd thing is each day would play out just as I had dreamt it. It was quite tiring given how repetitious everything had become. School lessons, conversations with people; all of it seemed like something I had already experienced twice by then.

Reply 62 of 70, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:

There are certainly many things that are happening around us that can't be explained. The Cases of the Reincarnation Type series is one of the fascinating examples.

I personally find the large body of work from Dr. Ian Stevenson on reincarnation fascinating. I read his 20 Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation and European Cases of the Reincarnation Type. I thought the concept of reincarnation was hogwash until I read these very detailed and well documented case studies.

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Update: the kid doesn't have a younger brother, so I don't know whom did she refer to when she mentioned about her little brother who "is not dead and still alive".

Her past life brother, perhaps you?

Also, her mother is still alive, so I wonder who the dead woman she talked about was.

A past life mother? According to Dr. Stevenson, children from ages 3-5 have the greatest potential to recall past lives, although it is still very rare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Stevenson

Actually, it went like this: ... Her: (gestures to an empty space besides her) "But I have a little brother. He is not dead, he […]
Show full quote

Actually, it went like this:
Her: (gestures to an empty space besides her) "But I have a little brother. He is not dead, he is alive. He is playing with me now."
Me: (trying to smile) "Look, I have to check the other two colleagues in the next room, okay?"
Her: (with a very wide smile) "No, uncle. I want to go with you, I like you. Your older sister is dead. Dead. My little brother is not dead, he's with me now. Dead, dead, dead!"

If one believes in reincarnation, one might be inclined to think this girl is your dead older sister because she thinks you are her younger brother... "My little brother is not dead, he's with me now" - that is you, you were with her when she was talking.

This deduction is certainly not scientific in any way, but it was the first thing that came to mind. The approach Dr. Stevenson takes is a lot more thorough and spans many years, sometimes decades, in his case studies. According to Dr. Stevenson, sometimes decades can pass before the stream of consciousness transcends from one being to another. It has been noted elsewhere that the length of time has to do with ones klinging onto the past. Also, Dr. Stevenson also uncovered cases whereby a little girl was remembering two lives back, with the middle life being short-lived.

Whatever the truth may be, it probably doesn't matter much outside of curiosity.

EDIT: I cannot do justice to this guys work in a forum post or two. Grab the book from your public library, university library, or elsewhere. I picked mine up from the university library and read the case studies as a bedtime story.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 63 of 70, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If reincarnation is a thing, it is probably a mercy that most people have no recollection of any of this.
For one thing, even if the past incarnation was positive, I could imagine it being confusing dealing with memories of a life that makes no sense to you. If it was negative (like you were Ted Bundy or someone) I can't imagine dealing with they type of memories that would come from a serial killer or someone equally horrible.

Reply 64 of 70, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I saw something on television recently about children who have memories of past lives. The creepiest one was a kid who remembers being a Russian officer during World War 2. The producers of the television show did some research and found out that, yes, there was an officer in the Russian army at that time by the name the kid remembered who was deployed at all the battles the kid remembered. Not all of the battles were well publicized and some of the details of this officers career had never been made public previously so how could he know? The kid was American and had no Russian ancestry at all or other connection to Russia and no surviving relatives or associates of the Russian officer lived in the area so it is not likely that stories about him could have been passed on to him somehow, so how else would you explain it unless he actually has the memories of this other person inside his head?

Reply 65 of 70, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

I saw something on television recently about children who have memories of past lives. The creepiest one was a kid who remembers being a Russian officer during World War 2. The producers of the television show did some research and found out that, yes, there was an officer in the Russian army at that time by the name the kid remembered who was deployed at all the battles the kid remembered. Not all of the battles were well publicized and some of the details of this officers career had never been made public previously so how could he know? The kid was American and had no Russian ancestry at all or other connection to Russia and no surviving relatives or associates of the Russian officer lived in the area so it is not likely that stories about him could have been passed on to him somehow, so how else would you explain it unless he actually has the memories of this other person inside his head?

Well, it's television, that explains the thing.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 66 of 70, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Time for me to blow everyone's mind with a very simple thought and the reason why I don't subscribe to the common view and understanding of reincarnation:

What if memories of past lives aren't your own but gleamed from the ether of past consciousnesses swirling around us?

IE: What if your past life really wasn't a past life but rather a connection you personally have to the consciousness of someone who lived in the past?

From my point of view, "reincarnation" could easily be confused with "psychic links", as the nature of the reasons behind believing in reincarnation tend to be able to link up the exact same way, so which is what's actually happening, if either? ...or maybe BOTH?

Plus the other thing too, as I've already mentioned, is that it would be incredibly cruel if there was a grand scheme to existence which was forced upon everyone, so while I don't doubt some people may very well be reincarnated in some way, I wouldn't ever call it a standard that everyone adheres to without concrete proof. :P

Besides, given what I personally believe from information I've gleamed from my dreams, this is not only my first physical existence ever, but it won't be my last, nor will my next one be on this planet... or even in this universe. In fact, going by my dreams, I have four more physical existences ahead of me following this one and I already know what my next one will be. In fact, one of my dreams identified the overall themes for each of the five physical existences I'm to have. This first one of mine is all about "Learning". The next two are both about "Fun". The fourth is about "Knowledge", and the final one will be about "Wisdom".

Of course, this could all just be completely bogus. :P

See, something that's VERY important when you have a belief in something is to allow that belief to sculpt itself and change as you learn more about existence, the universe and yourself. Heck, whenever people ask me what my religion is, I always tell them, "I am a religion of one, because there is not a single person on the face of the planet who could share every belief I have, given how personal some of those beliefs are."

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 67 of 70, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well this article sure took off when my dying grandfather took up hospice here in my family's home.

I kinda gave up trying to find other people to help with my screaming voices in my head issue... It's just something I have to work out myself I guess. I'll figure it out yet... but it seriously is a tough problem to solve.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 68 of 70, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

Call me weird, call me crazy. But even though I am not a believer in many things (hence the reason I call myself an atheist). Then I believe in telepathy/psychic stuff. So what happened in KAN´s case. Could in fact be , that the kid. Indeed saw through the barrage of garbage. We others normally do not see. So the kid, probably did, see through it, and perhaps was a bit either psychic or telepathic.

Well it is said that kids are more "sensitive" than adults, although I've never been "sensitive" when I was kid.

snorg wrote:
Kreshna, as far as to how you could be linked to someone, my personal "theory" is it may be some form of quantum entanglement. […]
Show full quote

Kreshna, as far as to how you could be linked to someone, my personal
"theory" is it may be some form of quantum entanglement. Look up
"Spooky action at distance". Tell me that isn't odd as hell.
Again, this is my attempt to somehow explain these odd phenomena.

There is a catch though: quantum mechanics only work on sub-atomic level. Bigger than that, then it's general relativity that works.

feipoa wrote:

Update: the kid doesn't have a younger brother, so I don't know whom did she refer to when she mentioned about her little brother who "is not dead and still alive".

Her past life brother, perhaps you?

Well she pointed to an empty space beside her when she was talking about her little brother, so the first time that came into my mind is that she has imaginary friend instead of she is a reincarnation of my older sister.

And you know, imaginary friend is creepy.

creepy2.jpg

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 69 of 70, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I volunteer as an assistant for someone that goes to schools and transports fish for stocking streams. At one school there was this girl that kept waving at me. At first I dismissed it because, well, why would an elementary student wave at me?

Later she was staring practically straight up at me and started waving again. Now I thought I was being rude by dismissing her so I briefly waved back. I have no idea what she wanted. She just kept waving and if I turned to look in her direction it seemed to encourage her to wave even more.

Reply 70 of 70, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Update: the kid doesn't have a younger brother, so I dont't know whom did she refer to when she mentioned about her little broth […]
Show full quote

Update: the kid doesn't have a younger brother, so I dont't know whom did she refer to when she mentioned about her little brother who "is not dead and still alive".
Also, her mother is still alive, so I wonder who the dead woman she talked about was.
Also, turned out that she often claims to see ghosts and spirits - at least according to the people working at the consulting firm I partner with. People tend to believe her though, since an employee once heard mysterious footsteps from the cellar in the middle of the night - which confirms her claim.
By the way, the firm's office is an old house located in an old neighborhood. The houses there are mostly old, some even said to have existed since colonial era. So yeah, you got the picture.

Somehow, I missed this thread!!! Better late than never. The above facts do point towards the fact that she may need some psychiatric assistance, i.e. if you think like a rational(so called) person. On the other hand if she is truly what she 'is', gifted/cursed(based on your perception), then this must be one of the unsolved riddles(yet) in the fabric of nature. However, I have to admit that I'm baffled, a 5 year old could even talk about death let alone understand it, even to a small extent. I would never have, at that age. Probably she had a traumatic past.

Gemini000 wrote:

Plus... you could always just ASK her how she knew about your sister. It may simply be that someone told her, or that she overheard someone else mention this fact, and then she just suddenly had an urge to go on about it. *shrugs*

It would be helpful to know what her response would be to the above query. In general, the kids' grasping power can never be matched and they learn like 'mad' and are highly receptive unlike adults whose pot is seemingly full and overflowing. She might have made this interview(guessing she must have started it) a 'habit' based on her past experiences with others and might be simply amused by the shock it generates on the opposite party, though the shock might be induced by some coincidence or just some talk about plain death.

I don't have any first hand experiences, but I do have the same 'feeling' that this has happened 'before' and surprisingly my Mom too, which I found out later. I don't believe in ghosts or spirits. When someone passes away, a powerful negative/violent thought might get latched to a weak-minded person and result in inexplicable behaviour. However I do believe in 'soul' or 'self' and that thoughts are just their manifestations. A soul itself is neutral. Good or bad is just a 'wrapper', that needs to be shed to tap the power of underlying native hardware, IMO. Unfortunately we don't possess the source code of a human being and our efforts to understand ourselves are at best an incomplete disassembly similar to the 'nouveau' driver. Atleast they have something functional, we have managed to only understand bits and pieces and nowhere near a working model.

Theoretically as our whole body is running electrical signals from different parts/senses to the brain for interpretation which we acutally 'perceive', there is the possibility that sometimes what we see might not be real and maybe a result of disruption/imbalance in the electrical signals and the unknown(no offense 😐 ). What is 'reality', is a different topic altogether.

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain