Common searches

First post, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"eBay hit with massive security breach, asks all users to change passwords":
http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/21/5737914/eba … -massive-breach

I signed on eBay today and didn't notice anything, but I went ahead and changed my password.

Has anyone been affected by this?

Reply 1 of 16, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retrofanatic wrote:
"eBay hit with massive security breach, asks all users to change passwords": http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/21/5737914/eba … -ma […]
Show full quote

"eBay hit with massive security breach, asks all users to change passwords":
http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/21/5737914/eba … -massive-breach

I signed on eBay today and didn't notice anything, but I went ahead and changed my password.

Has anyone been affected by this?

Not yet, but I changed mine too. Saw the article here:
http://www.cnet.com/news/ebay-hacked-requests … ange-passwords/

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 3 of 16, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Changed both my ebay and PayPal password.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 6 of 16, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

eBay itself is overriding its usual index page item recommendations to warn people to change their password, though they don't say why, just to do it. Once you've done so, it goes back to showing item recommendations.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 8 of 16, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sigh. If a big company like Ebay cannot keep their servers secure, what does that mean for the rest of the internet? Changing passwords after breeches is becoming a common practice now.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 9 of 16, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
laxdragon wrote:

Sigh. If a big company like Ebay cannot keep their servers secure, what does that mean for the rest of the internet? Changing passwords after breeches is becoming a common practice now.

From reading the c|net article it made it sound like this was more an example of social engineering and not any sort of "hacking" (but of course the media would have us believe Johnny Lee Miller and Angelina Jolie are "hacking the gibson" on this one) - it makes it a lot less surprising. It's a well established truth in IT that people cannot keep their secret passwords secret (hey, mine's gizmo!). 😢

Reply 10 of 16, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well that's wonderful, though I never actually bought anything (I gave up trying to sign up for paypal) I don't remember my password nor my security question to my account.

I wonder what I must do to get eBay to terminate it since I don't even want to be signed up there anymore.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 11 of 16, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

I wonder what I must do to get eBay to terminate it since I don't even want to be signed up there anymore.

You have a security question? :o

I don't. I just request a password reset on the eMail I used to sign up and they send an eMail to go through the reset process. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 12 of 16, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I don't want to reset the password, I want to totally terminate the account entirely. I only ever wanted to go on eBay once just to get one thing I couldn't find anywhere else... I already have said thing, I don't want the account anymore now especially after this security breach.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 13 of 16, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After I changed the password all lots related to my saved searches disappeared from ebay dashboard. Now only ebay deals are shown at ebay homepage. My saved searches themselves are intact. What happened and how do I restore status quo?

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 14 of 16, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote:

Well I don't want to reset the password, I want to totally terminate the account entirely. I only ever wanted to go on eBay once just to get one thing I couldn't find anywhere else... I already have said thing, I don't want the account anymore now especially after this security breach.

I wish I could terminate my account, but there is just so much available on eBay that I cannot get anywhere else. I think it is almost impossible to have every single last bit of your information deleted for good from eBay. It seems like these online companies are almost like a credit card companies now...the databases of information they have is probably worth money to 3rd party bidders who want their information to compile marketing mailing/calling lists. I would not doubt that eBay would have partaken in such deals over the years just like VIS*, Maste*Car*, and others most likely do or have done in the past. I have credit card companies with whom I have cancelled my credit card account with over 10 years ago still contacting me to try and sign me up again and I have called them numerous times to remove all my information from their system, but obviously they still have it. Also, unsolicited marketing calls to my house seem to increase when I sign up for a new card or an online service...I am not sure this is the reason, but it really seems like more than just a coincidence and it makes me wonder. I am guessing that anyone who has received unsolicited mail to your home and marketing calls to your phone can probably (at least partially) attribute it to these companies.

Reply 15 of 16, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retrofanatic wrote:

I wish I could terminate my account, but there is just so much available on eBay that I cannot get anywhere else. I think it is almost impossible to have every single last bit of your information deleted for good from eBay. It seems like these online companies are almost like a credit card companies now...the databases of information they have is probably worth money to 3rd party bidders who want their information to compile marketing mailing/calling lists. I would not doubt that eBay would have partaken in such deals over the years just like VIS*, Maste*Car*, and others most likely do or have done in the past. I have credit card companies with whom I have cancelled my credit card account with over 10 years ago still contacting me to try and sign me up again and I have called them numerous times to remove all my information from their system, but obviously they still have it. Also, unsolicited marketing calls to my house seem to increase when I sign up for a new card or an online service...I am not sure this is the reason, but it really seems like more than just a coincidence and it makes me wonder. I am guessing that anyone who has received unsolicited mail to your home and marketing calls to your phone can probably (at least partially) attribute it to these companies.

The credit offers are actually just par for the course - you can opt-out of them through Experian (iirc its Experian, it might be Equifax; it's one of the big three and you have to contact them in writing but they do honor it (their "push" for it is to save paper)).

The phone calls are actually indicative of the times in general - fraudulent charities and Caribbean scams have been on the rise over the last few years, and there seems to be no end in sight. Do-Not-Call and similar have no influence on that, because of robodialing (and most of these "companies" are the kind of bottom-feeders that really don't care about laws because they know they're doing something shifty to start with; like collection agencies and other bottom feeders). Basically if you have a phone, expect to get multiple BS calls a day. A hard-disconnect switch does wonders... 😀

Reply 16 of 16, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just to add a tidbit that I saw on the nightly news here; ebay stated that this was not a typical security breach but rather a case of two employees who lost control of their own passwords and access was made by signing into these "official" ebay accounts. Apparently their customer service workers need to change their own passwords?

Anyway, I had just went through the process of changing my passwords about six weeks ago, and since ebay says that this all happened back in February... I changed only my ebay password... and that to be on the safe side.

My passwords have gotten quite a bit stronger over the past months - no BS stuff anymore. Screw it- may as well bite the bullet, get used to doing it for real till a better solution comes along.

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.