VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I've seen a ton of home brew pc projects on the web and that got me to wondering, how hard would it be to do a homebrew 3d accelerator? My guess is it would be pretty difficult.

I'm assuming you would need to break it up across several boards, I don't know that it would be practical to put on one board. And I'm not even sure how exactly you would implement the GPU. 7400 series logic is probably impractical because it would take way too much space, so you'd probably need an FPGA or something.
It would probably not make sense to do with anything less than a 386 level system. I don't know that the ISA bus would have enough bandwidth, so you might need to look at something with EISA or possibly even an early gen PCI Pentium era system? It could be this is just too complex a project for the type of homebrew computer commonly built (8 or 16 bit class systems) and for a system that could properly drive the 3d board, it would be too difficult for a hobbyist to build the actual computer (building a first gen Pentium or high end 486 from the ground up, so to speak). So while this is an interesting idea it is probably in the realm of fantasy. Although if I'm wrong, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Reply 1 of 4, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pretty hard if you have no knowledge in hardware/software programming and electronics.
But all of that can be learned in a year or so if you are interested a lot and want to invest time into learning.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 2 of 4, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a very modest electronics background. I built a power supply ages ago in college. Haven't done any real programming, really, just scripting type stuff and that was also back in college. I've been doing end-user support/helpdesk my whole life and am losing my mind.

I think it might be fun to do an 8/16 bit system, 1-2 mb of RAM, 640x480 or 800x600 max vga output with 3d, sound & all. But it would have to be something I could start small and build up over time. Maybe something along the lines of an Amiga 1000 (as far as capability) but with 3d built in.

I've thought about going back and finishing my engineering degree and thought some sort of homebrew PC might be an interesting capstone project.

Reply 3 of 4, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Theres been a couple of them
OGD1
http://linuxfund.org/projects/ogd1/
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/72599112 … s-processor-gpu
Open Source Graphics Processor

Last edited by Davros on 2014-05-25, 18:47. Edited 2 times in total.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 4 of 4, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am not sure as to how much resources are already made for such things, but i am guessing if you contact some people there were in the business i think you could plan out and realize your projects.

But yeah, starting small and learning from that is the way to go if you ask me.
Going from 0 would probably be too much, so i guess first thing to do is to check for resources and stuff.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"